Random Encounters

teeth_03
Order of Kahless
Order of Kahless

Random Encounters

Postby teeth_03 » Wed May 23, 2012 2:07 am

The random encounters are broken into 2 parts

1. The REINFO.txt file lists sets of random groups of ships,either Enemy,Friendly,Neutral,and then either working or hulked.

2. The names of the sets of ships are then entered into the systems files,so only certain scenarios are available in certain systems.

My question is, if I wanted to setup a "server" for random encounters,but wanted to add more encounters,would editing the files on the host work right for all the clients?

teeth_03
Order of Kahless
Order of Kahless

Postby teeth_03 » Wed May 23, 2012 8:41 pm

I decided that i might try to work with the RE in NGA instead of the stock game. I plan on initially setting it up from the perspective of the Federation, then supplying additional reinfo files that swap the friends/enemies for the different races based on the race you want to explore with. So if you want to play as borg and conquer the galaxy, all borg ships will be freinds and everyone else enemies.

So i am looking for anyone to think of some star system scenerios with a list of friendly and enemy ships and their respective names.

teeth_03
Order of Kahless
Order of Kahless

Postby teeth_03 » Sun May 27, 2012 9:04 pm

So i think i have to redo the star map if i want this to work right. The current star map is not organized, a lot of the systems have the Unknown allegience. Basically i want a map with borders, and have the random encounters setup to have the systems close to a certain border have RE with the 2 races close to it. I could then have unknown space with more random selections of ships.

This would not be a quick project, but it would give the game a lot more depth if you could explore and run into a lot of friendlies and enemies.

LeDaniel
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Postby LeDaniel » Mon May 28, 2012 9:43 am

Your project looks interesting. My experiences are only changing REINFO file and star system files.
I remember, that i about 7-8 years ago download data´s pack with starmap (i don´t know from who), and there was classic star trek cannon starmap with define star systems (FED, ROM,...) and encounters was added too. Reinfo files was there too. But i don´t have this file today :( .

teeth_03
Order of Kahless
Order of Kahless

Postby teeth_03 » Wed May 30, 2012 11:08 am

I wonder if the starmap RacerX used in 1.03 was the same one you are speaking of. That map has defined areas for fed, klingon, roms, cardassian, breen, ferengi, gorn, tholian, shakerian and a few others im not sure what the abbreviations are supposed to be, including TY, D, and DI.

I might try to see if i can change the letters around, and have Borg and Pirate space.

Also, its annoying that u cant have custom alliegiances, if you put Cardassian, it still comes up as unknown.

I need a couple more hours to fix the starmap then i can start on the random encounters. I have most of it done because most star systems were already defined within said borders, i mainly just have to try to change who the systems are owned by and move the minor ones around. I want to take the defined Shakerian space and make it Borg, as an example.

teeth_03
Order of Kahless
Order of Kahless

Postby teeth_03 » Thu May 31, 2012 12:49 am

heres a pic of the sector map with updated system locations. Any system not within a defined boundary is either neutral (fought over),or Pirate system. The systems with the Cardassian,Breen,Borg and Ferengi systems show up as unknown because the game does not support custom races. The collection of systems to the top right are Pirate systems.

LeDaniel
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Postby LeDaniel » Fri Jun 01, 2012 9:55 pm

Last year a axperiments ( rather trying or learning) with random encouters and i used starmap from this site.

http://quvek.tripod.com/systems.htm

I use original KA (no mods).

After a few months i "iced" it - school started and with work i have no time for it :mad:

teeth_03
Order of Kahless
Order of Kahless

Postby teeth_03 » Mon Jun 04, 2012 1:03 am

its basically the same map

I had a little time to mess around with the random encounters,and so far, its actually being quite annoying

1. The ships always appear on the edge of the solar systems

2. If you shoot (or ram) friendly ships,they become enemies,and start to shoot at the other friendly ships. So if you put 3 friendly Federation ships in sol,and shoot at all 3,its basically a big free for all.

I need to reevaluate my desire to want to continue this due to these bugs.

LeDaniel
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Postby LeDaniel » Tue Jun 05, 2012 10:25 am

Last year i try to do the same mod with random encounters as you.
I have new idea - combine random encounters with QB2 mission.
It's a shame, that i can´t do - start QB2 mission, make half mission objective (destroy, etc...), than fly to another system for fight (etc break free your battlestation of enemy force) repair your ship for next battle and join some new battleships to formation, and finaly go to finish mission objective (some very big battle with 20-30 ships). After that succes this mission goals, than flight around galaxy/starmap and fight "free for all" like battles.

I really want MODIFIED QUICK BATTLE v4.0
http://klingonacademy.com/showthread.php?t=32428&highlight=quick+battle

teeth_03
Order of Kahless
Order of Kahless

Postby teeth_03 » Thu Jun 07, 2012 11:01 pm

I will probably still work on it,but I havent touched it in about a week. If anyting,it will make for nice co-op for things to shoot at in multi.

LeDaniel
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Postby LeDaniel » Fri Jun 08, 2012 7:58 pm

Co-op campaing or roam battle mod in multi will be great !

Return to Mission Scripting