Mission 6 - Fields of Death Crashing

Play
Warrior
Warrior

Postby Play » Fri Jan 28, 2011 6:22 am

Hold on...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n4pTzPjCYI0

I uploaded a video on youtube. Read the describtion.

KOMAT
Warrior Recruit
Warrior Recruit

Postby KOMAT » Fri Jan 28, 2011 9:18 am

I do not have time to check it now however one significant difference between my and yours approach is that I always jump under cloak and stay that way until the enemies start to engage friendly ships.

Play
Warrior
Warrior

Postby Play » Fri Jan 28, 2011 6:42 pm

Ok I investigated the issue a bit further and it seems to me that you can play the mission when starting KA the first time (maybe after PC start dunno), but not afterwards. It then crashes also without moving the ship after warp in to the Regulus system (even if cloaked). Since the same pattern occured yesterday to me I suspect that something changes after the first KA start of a session (maybe something memory related)... but I didn 't try to reboot my computer and do a second run of the test.

RedHotChiliDog
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Postby RedHotChiliDog » Sat Jan 29, 2011 1:27 am

Play, thanks for posting the video. I did try and reproduce the crash using the same approach as the video without success. I took a look at the code and thought the same thing that KOMAT was in a cloak and engage approach. This also did not result in any crashes for me though the script does has logic in that system for enemy detection of player and resulting AI commands from detection.

It is interesting what you mention about crashing only after restart of the client and replay. I have already tried this since the wrapper script does not support alt-tabbing in WinXP so I always exit if I need to do something else and then restart to play again. I have not experienced crashing with this method either.

What you explain in your last post really has me puzzled about the crashing in this particular mission. The crashing from the video is in a post-warp situation but when you mention restarting the game the crash can happen pre-warp as well.

Because of this information I am going to compile a version of the script that will output some detailed information into a log file for me to view. I don't want this to interfere much with the progress towards my other project so this may take a small amount of time to finish. I am thinking within the next week or two I should have a logging version of this script for you to run and produce a logfile for me to determine the nature of this crash and how to work around it.

In the meantime if there is any additional information please let me know. Thanks!
RedHotChiliDog

Klingons and Potato Chips are better with ridges.

brianmoler.com - Mission scripting and other strangeness

Play
Warrior
Warrior

Postby Play » Sat Jan 29, 2011 7:06 am

No I don t think the crash can happen pre-warp, but directly after the warp in pre going to more impulse speed. It can happen also after warpiong into the system and sitting still doing nothing. After another test run I' m now convinced that the first time goes OK everytime and then after restarting KA there will always be a crash. One odd thing happened to me playing the first time was that one of the Reliant class vessels in the Regula system had like infinite torpedoes and could fire on me without a break (took out my secondaries in no time lol). This happened to me only once now but there's definitely something wrong with the script hehe.

RedHotChiliDog
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Postby RedHotChiliDog » Sun Jan 30, 2011 6:23 pm

Play,

Could you please run another simulation of the crash for me? You will need to do the following...

1) Download this version of the k06x.int script from my website here

2) Place the downloaded k06x.int file into your KA scripts folder.

3) Install latest version of KOMAT's wrapper (1.11).

edit: please make sure to include the following two environment variables: D3DEMU_KA_LOG and D3DEMU_LOG_FLUSH

4) Run mission 6 and try to reproduce crash.

5) Send resulting d3demu.log file found in main KA folder to my email at bmoler@brianmoler.com.

KOMAT has started sending extra output to the wrapper log. I added the /D__DEBUG precompile option to the make files that I use to generate the script binaries so that extra info will appear for this mission in that log. I have already found a bug in the mission that I can fix but also want to see if the crash is also script code related and if I can create a work-around for that as well. Thanks!
RedHotChiliDog

Play
Warrior
Warrior

Postby Play » Sun Jan 30, 2011 6:52 pm

Ok give me half an hour to get something proper to eat then I will begin this.

EDIT 1:

TEST1 CRASH:
Ok first test result with a crash send.This are the last lines (for others to see):

KA:0:(4) Something wrong reading memoryfile - exiting MemoryFile::ReadFromFile with failure
KA:0:ERROR: no plan selected below node FightPlan
KA:0:Error EPG004a: null current node found at plan node FightPlan.
HW:Deinitializing DX9 emu

EDIT 2:

TEST2 NO CRASH (first ka start in a new computer session (after reboot)):
- same event position in the script as above in test 1

KA:0:MemoryFile::ReadFromFile pathname ships\FCA filename FCAKCCP
KA:0:Reading file ships\FCA\FCAKCCP.mem
KA:0:(4) Something wrong reading memoryfile - exiting MemoryFile::ReadFromFile with failure
KA:0:New MemoryPlanNode created for node HighSpeedPotShotsFromDistancePlan
KA:0:New MemoryPlanNode created for node DiveFullVelPlan
KA:0:New MemoryPlanNode created for node DiveHalfVelPlan
KA:0:New MemoryPlanNode created for node DiveQuarterVelPlan
KA:0:New MemoryPlanNode created for node FastOrbitAttackPlan
KA:0:New MemoryPlanNode created for node CircleBehindEnemyPlan
KA:0:New MemoryPlanNode created for node FaceAndFollowPlan
KA:0:New MemoryPlanNode created for node MainFightPlan
KA:0:MC: Chosen plan is MainFightPlan for agent USS Salazar
KA:0:Running MainFightPlan for USS Salazar
KA:0:New MemoryPlanNode created for node PTP_auxiliary
KA:0:New MemoryPlanNode created for node PTP_cloak
KA:0:New MemoryPlanNode created for node PTP_ecm
KA:0:New MemoryPlanNode created for node PTP_hull
KA:0:New MemoryPlanNode created for node PTP_impulse
KA:0:New MemoryPlanNode created for node PTP_phasers
KA:0:New MemoryPlanNode created for node PTP_secondary
KA:0:New MemoryPlanNode created for node PTP_scanners
KA:0:New MemoryPlanNode created for node PTP_specialWeaponResource
KA:0:New MemoryPlanNode created for node PTP_tractor
KA:0:New MemoryPlanNode created for node PTP_transporter
KA:0:New MemoryPlanNode created for node PTP_warp
KA:0:MC: Chosen plan is CommonNodeAfterSettingPreferredTarget for agent USS Salazar
KA:0:MC: Chosen plan is FaceAndFollowPlan for agent USS Salazar
KA:0:USS Ranger ordered to attack IKS TammoHchal
KA:0:USS Ranger given plan FightPlan
KA:0:Plan FollowTargetShipDuringInSystemWarpPlan for USS Ranger deleted
KA:0:Plan FollowTargetShipDuringOutSystemWarpPlan for USS Ranger deleted
KA:0:MC: Chosen plan is HighSpeedPotShotsFromDistancePlan for agent USS Ranger
KA:4:SCRIPT DEBUG: K06Sys4.ssi(835): Regula : System04_DoEnemiesAttack...Done
KA:4:SCRIPT DEBUG: K06Sys3.ssi(592): Regula : System03_DoPoktarlToRegula...
KA:4:SCRIPT DEBUG: ..\KALIB\Mission.ssi(4001): Wingmen form up...

I then closed the mission after the engagement of the AI began.

RedHotChiliDog
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Postby RedHotChiliDog » Sun Jan 30, 2011 8:28 pm

Thanks for doing this. This is very good stuff and just based on the info from your post it appears that my suspecting a ship handle issue may be correct. I will look at the log that you sent me to see which procedure that the script last executed and that is where the AI command will probably be that caused the crash. Thanks!
RedHotChiliDog

teeth_03
Order of Kahless
Order of Kahless

Postby teeth_03 » Sun Jan 30, 2011 8:43 pm

I think Waldo is hiding on the USS Salazar

I will do this in about half an hour myself

RedHotChiliDog
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Postby RedHotChiliDog » Sun Jan 30, 2011 8:51 pm

I made a quick patch to the script to validate ship handles in a couple of the procedures.

Download this version of the k06x.int script from my website here and let me know if this fixes the crash. Thanks!
RedHotChiliDog

Play
Warrior
Warrior

Postby Play » Sun Jan 30, 2011 9:20 pm

I get the same error again...

RedHotChiliDog
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Postby RedHotChiliDog » Sun Jan 30, 2011 10:01 pm

Thanks again for testing this.

This is really interesting as the error is happening when issuing an AI command to a Federation ship. What is unusual is that in that particular procedure only AI orders are issued. Nothing out of the ordinary going on here.

I noticed that you, teeth, and kang were getting crashes in this mission. I am curious if you guys are all running English or German versions of the game and if you have any ship mods installed? If you could let me know I would appreciate it. Thanks!
RedHotChiliDog

teeth_03
Order of Kahless
Order of Kahless

Postby teeth_03 » Sun Jan 30, 2011 10:14 pm

just emailed you my logs with the stock script,ill try the patched one now

Play
Warrior
Warrior

Postby Play » Sun Jan 30, 2011 10:18 pm

no mods, english version from standard ka dvd set, fresh install. I think the error is the same in german version, I can test this too. Also I do believe the error is not neccasarily script related as the script runs through properly on the first start of the game in a new pc session (there is no crash then!).

teeth_03
Order of Kahless
Order of Kahless

Postby teeth_03 » Sun Jan 30, 2011 10:25 pm

well,it crashed 100% of the time for me

sending new log for your patched version,seems to be an issue with the FlightPlan flight plan,lol

RedHotChiliDog
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Postby RedHotChiliDog » Sun Jan 30, 2011 10:27 pm

Play wrote:no mods, english version from standard ka dvd set, fresh install. I think the error is the same in german version, I can test this too. Also I do believe the error is not neccasarily script related as the script runs through properly on the first start of the game in a new pc session (there is no crash then!).

I am beginning to believe the same thing. It appears that the issue is pretty common to setting the AI fightplan for the Salazar in most cases. This was the reason I was asking about the mods and the game version.

Will have to check around and see if I can find anything that can be worked around to keep the script from crashing.
RedHotChiliDog

teeth_03
Order of Kahless
Order of Kahless

Postby teeth_03 » Sun Jan 30, 2011 10:30 pm

remove the Salazar? lol

RedHotChiliDog
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Postby RedHotChiliDog » Sun Jan 30, 2011 10:53 pm

teeth_03 wrote:remove the Salazar? lol

That is an interesting thought. Not sure about the format and structure of the ship files but I changed the FCA class ships to a FCC class and also altered the ship name of the Salazar to a different name.

I have uploaded this version to the same link as previous here
RedHotChiliDog

KOMAT
Warrior Recruit
Warrior Recruit

Postby KOMAT » Mon Jan 31, 2011 4:13 am

Maybe it might be related to the "Something wrong reading memoryfile" errors. Maybe something is left in undefined state if the error happens. Those errors appear to be reported if header of the mem file does not match the file name. For example the "ships\FCA\FCAKCCP.mem" contains "ships\FCA FCAKCCC" as header.

RedHotChiliDog
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Postby RedHotChiliDog » Mon Jan 31, 2011 4:32 am

KOMAT wrote:Maybe it might be related to the "Something wrong reading memoryfile" errors. Maybe something is left in undefined state if the error happens. Those errors appear to be reported if header of the mem file does not match the file name. For example the "ships\FCA\FCAKCCP.mem" contains "ships\FCA FCAKCCC" as header.

Thanks KOMAT. I noticed that too and it seemed to be specific to the FCA ship in particular. I am not sure why it affects some people while it does not affect others but this does seem to be related in some way since it appears in every crash instance.

My previous post has replaced the FCA hulls with FCC hulls. I also renamed the Salazar to another name but I don't believe that the name should make any difference. Just did the rename of the ship since it seemed to be the one receiving the AI command at the time of the crashes. The changes that I made to the script are more of a troubleshooting effort rather than a work-around so if this current version works then I know that the .mem files for the FCA need to be fixed.
RedHotChiliDog

PreviousNext

Return to Mission Scripting