Mission 6 - Fields of Death Crashing

RedHotChiliDog
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Mission 6 - Fields of Death Crashing

Postby RedHotChiliDog » Mon Jan 24, 2011 5:11 am

In response to G-Neumann from the KA Vista Fixes thread:

Any idea what kills KA on mission 6 of single player?

I have looked into the issue with mission 6 crashing for a good amount of time today. It appears that there is an issue with mission 6 where it may crash upon warping into the Regula system. I have seen prior history of players indicating that they have run into the same issue and they were able to repeat this behavior reliably.

Unfortunately I played this mission many times today trying to reproduce the situation that can cause it to crash and was unable to. I was able to successfully complete the mission each time I tried.

When I looked at the code I did see some stuff that troubled me a bit. In particular there appears to be a good amount of code tied to scripted events that could potentially cause a crash if timing was not correct. I could not reproduce any such timing issues myself but I can see where something like this may be possible under the right combination of circumstances.

I would ask anybody who has already been able to reproduce this reliably to post a reply to this thread with an exact account of the gameplay events that lead up to such a crash. That way I will be able to attempt to reproduce under the same circumstances and be able to identify the issue that is causing this to occur. Thanks!
RedHotChiliDog

Klingons and Potato Chips are better with ridges.

brianmoler.com - Mission scripting and other strangeness

Dater
Elite Warrior
Elite Warrior

Postby Dater » Mon Jan 24, 2011 11:43 am

Sorry, I cannot tell you anything about the crash in mission 6, because I just finished mission 1 yesterday.

But I noticed that if your warped out of the system with a too low warp factor Mission 1 would fail, because I would arrive a few days instead of a few hours later. That can't be the cause here right?

As soon as I reach mission 6 I will let you know what happens to my KA...

John
Chancellor
Chancellor

Postby John » Mon Jan 24, 2011 1:15 pm

I'll start playing as soon as I get home :)
I'm telling you Teal'C if we don't find a way out of this soon I'm gonna loose it. Loose it, it means go crazy, nuts, insane, bonzo, no longer in possession of ones faculties, 3 fries short of a happy meal, WHACKO!

John
Chancellor
Chancellor

Postby John » Mon Jan 24, 2011 10:01 pm

Just played it over a couple of times, no crash yet.
I'm telling you Teal'C if we don't find a way out of this soon I'm gonna loose it. Loose it, it means go crazy, nuts, insane, bonzo, no longer in possession of ones faculties, 3 fries short of a happy meal, WHACKO!

Play
Warrior
Warrior

Postby Play » Mon Jan 24, 2011 10:20 pm

Wanted to reproduce your error, but I have now the problem that my KA doesn 't play the Videos so I can 't get to the point of error. I strongly believe that this could be related to the KA Fix (becuase of changed ka.exe or similar) ... The movie player (kamovies.exe) doesn t also work anymore. But I got Win 7 64 bit so that could also be the problem there... AND it suxs that unter Win 7 64 bit the Ka1.02 patcher (ger and uk version tested) doesn t run anymore, so I have to apply the patch from my old stored backup files.. :(

Dater
Elite Warrior
Elite Warrior

Postby Dater » Mon Jan 24, 2011 10:35 pm

Play wrote:Wanted to reproduce your error, but I have now the problem that my KA doesn 't play the Videos so I can 't get to the point of error. I strongly believe that this could be related to the KA Fix (becuase of changed ka.exe or similar) ... The movie player (kamovies.exe) doesn t also work anymore. But I got Win 7 64 bit so that could also be the problem there... AND it suxs that unter Win 7 64 bit the Ka1.02 patcher (ger and uk version tested) doesn t run anymore, so I have to apply the patch from my old stored backup files.. :(

since kamovies.exe also doesn't work the problem can't be the patched ka.exe. After you reinstalled KA don't apply any patches and tell us whether it works then...

teeth_03
Order of Kahless
Order of Kahless

Postby teeth_03 » Mon Jan 24, 2011 10:47 pm

its not Windows 7 x64, you probably just dont have the videos in the right place. I would suggest copying them all to your install.

I tried this mission once 2 days ago and had it crashed, havent played KA since. But ill try it again when I get home from work. The problem is,my internet might not get fixed untill tomorrow so I might have trouble reporting my finding untill im back to work.

The last time I tried playing the campain on my old netbook, I had put the missions.txt in my scripts folder and removed the mission. I do remember having it crash multiple times though

RedHotChiliDog
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Postby RedHotChiliDog » Tue Jan 25, 2011 2:02 am

Thanks everyone for the responses so far! Hopefully we will be able to pin something concrete on this issue so it can be patched.

Dater, that is an interesting thought about the warp speed being a factor between systems. I always traveled at fasted possible warp speed when playing the mission, but do know that some missions will fail if the player takes too long. It is an interesting theory that the travel time might play a part in the timing interaction I am suspecting. I will give this a try in the meantime to see what happens. Thanks!
RedHotChiliDog

G-Neumann
Elite Warrior
Elite Warrior

Postby G-Neumann » Tue Jan 25, 2011 3:26 am

Hey guys.. I've played the mission by traveling at max warp (warp 7). The mission generally crashes at the end of the warp-in at Regula or a few seconds later.

1 - Player warps into Regula system

2 - Two Constitutions and Regula 1 SS are waiting

3 - Klingon strikegroup warps in...

Its between 2 and 3 most of the time if not all the time... I have a quadcore and Win7--- It should work. :confused:
;-)

RedHotChiliDog
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Postby RedHotChiliDog » Wed Jan 26, 2011 2:49 am

Thanks for the additional info everyone. I will continue to look into this to see if I can duplicate the crash. If there are any other details to add please just let me know. Thanks!
RedHotChiliDog

teeth_03
Order of Kahless
Order of Kahless

Postby teeth_03 » Wed Jan 26, 2011 3:06 am

same thing happens to me

I warp to first system,kill the Oberth and Connie

then warp to the 2nd system to hear paktarl bitch

then when I warp to Regula, it warps in,and right when I stop, it crashes.

Happened 3 times in a row for me

RedHotChiliDog
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Postby RedHotChiliDog » Wed Jan 26, 2011 3:24 am

The accounts of the mission crash at least appear to be consistent. Thanks for the report!
RedHotChiliDog

KOMAT
Warrior Recruit
Warrior Recruit

Postby KOMAT » Wed Jan 26, 2011 4:13 am

I do not remember having any crash in this mission during my campaign play at Christmas. I tried it today twice and I was able to complete the Regula attack without problem both times.

RedHotChiliDog
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Postby RedHotChiliDog » Wed Jan 26, 2011 5:13 am

KOMAT wrote:I do not remember having any crash in this mission during my campaign play at Christmas. I tried it today twice and I was able to complete the Regula attack without problem both times.

Thanks for your report KOMAT. It is nice to see that those who are able to reproduce the crash are able to crash at the same point in the script. This means that there is definitely an issue as multiple persons have experienced it and it is appearing at the exact same point in the script.

The part that troubles me is the intermittent nature of the problem where there are those that always crash and those that never crash. This probably means one of two things. It is either based on play style where a single behavior is contributing to triggering the crash or it is system specific which is not as likely but still possible.

Will look into this again tonight based on the input received today. I may think about trying the debug compile option as mentioned by Gordon Finley in the Vista Patch thread but will see what I can dig up from testing tonight first. Thanks again!
RedHotChiliDog

Play
Warrior
Warrior

Postby Play » Thu Jan 27, 2011 11:05 am

I was able to reproduce this error. It happens as follows (always used warp 7):

- Warp to the Janus system to meet with Colonel Poktarl (he is not there).
- Warp to the Regulus System

The Game crashes at the end of the Warp in or a bit later.

EDIT 1: In other combinations of the mission scriptage I got no errors.

KOMAT
Warrior Recruit
Warrior Recruit

Postby KOMAT » Fri Jan 28, 2011 1:47 am

Just quick check. Do you run the game in the Windows 95 or 98 compatibility mode? The multithreading heap patch does not work properly in that situation.

Play
Warrior
Warrior

Postby Play » Fri Jan 28, 2011 2:54 am

no

RedHotChiliDog
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Postby RedHotChiliDog » Fri Jan 28, 2011 4:11 am

Thanks for that report Play! I will try the same things you did and see if I can reproduce it as well.

KOMAT, I am running in Win95 compatibility mode but have not crashed since the installation of your multithread patch. Or at least I have not run into any situations that may cause such a crash yet :)
RedHotChiliDog

RedHotChiliDog
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Postby RedHotChiliDog » Fri Jan 28, 2011 4:46 am

Play wrote:I was able to reproduce this error. It happens as follows (always used warp 7):

- Warp to the Janus system to meet with Colonel Poktarl (he is not there).
- Warp to the Regulus System

The Game crashes at the end of the Warp in or a bit later.

EDIT 1: In other combinations of the mission scriptage I got no errors.

Are you able to reproduce this error 100% of the time or did it happen just that once? Reason I am asking is that I was unable to reproduce using the same series of events you did. I tried several times without being able to crash. I did remove compatibility mode from ka.exe to make sure that I was running similar to you.

Even though I am not able to reproduce this is still very useful information. Using the steps that you did changes the mission parameters a bit since warping to Janus first will cause the player to fail both of the secondary objectives. Plus you are crashing at the same point which is at entry of the Regulus system. This will help me find code that may be causing this. It might be possible that a ship handle is assumed to exist and not tested for validity. These are typically tested but I noticed that in some of these scripts that test is not done if the ships are assumed to definitely be there. Timing issues in a script that is not linear (like this one) can cause failures when a ship handle is referenced for an invalid ship. I may just make sure that these all go through validations and compile a version for you guys to test and see if it fixes your crashes.
RedHotChiliDog

KOMAT
Warrior Recruit
Warrior Recruit

Postby KOMAT » Fri Jan 28, 2011 5:23 am

RedHotChiliDog wrote:KOMAT, I am running in Win95 compatibility mode but have not crashed since the installation of your multithread patch.

I did additional analysis and the results are interesting. It works for you by accident and you have been saved by remnants of the old SafeDisc copy protection removed by official patches :D

Basically the Win 95 compatibility mode tells the system to report version corresponding to Win 95 when the program asks for the system version. If the game gets version older than Windows 2000, it uses alternative way of memory management which is not protected by my patch. This is what happens when you run almost any executable (kamovies, KALaunch or KAAI) except for the ka.exe. In that case the compatibility layer detects presence of KA.ICD and assumes that the game is still protected by SafeDisc. In that case it disables the lie and the real version of the OS is provided to the game thus saving the day :)

Next

Return to Mission Scripting