Cargo?

KAF-Thor, Mike Gwyther
Brigadier
Brigadier

Cargo?

Postby KAF-Thor, Mike Gwyther » Sat Oct 14, 2006 10:37 pm

This is mainly for RedHotChillPepper.

Long ago you were thinking of modifiing your QB script a bit more to allow some type of cargo to be shown on the HUD when you scan a ship.
I think you was going to set it up so that the user can put a list of cargo in a text file and the script picked a random line to display on the HUD.

Anyway, I have downloaded your modified QB script but this feature isn't in it.

Did you scrap the idea or is there a newer version of QB that I can't find?

Thanks.

RedHotChiliDog
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Postby RedHotChiliDog » Fri Oct 27, 2006 2:58 am

Hey there! Sorry for the late reply, as things have been very busy the last couple of weeks. I have just started to get my focus back on KA and scripting projects yet again :)

You are correct. I do remember discussing the issue with handling cargo in the past. With the scripting language, it is possible to assign a 'cargo' to a ship. This 'cargo' is in a text form, so it is just simply a way of easily assigning a value that stays with the ship.

It is possible to take the value placed in cargo and then retrieve it later. This would make scripting things like cargo transfers and other such ideas fairly simple.

I can easily implement the feature into MQB 4.0 if I understand it correctly. You are asking for a configurable cargo value to be randomly assigned to each ship. Then this value will show up on the HUD of any ship that performs a scan on a ship containing a cargo. If I understand this correctly, this would be very simple to implement and I will make sure that it gets into the next version of the script which I am working on as we speak.
RedHotChiliDog

Klingons and Potato Chips are better with ridges.

brianmoler.com - Mission scripting and other strangeness

KAF-Thor, Mike Gwyther
Brigadier
Brigadier

Postby KAF-Thor, Mike Gwyther » Fri Oct 27, 2006 10:08 am

Hi RedHotChiliDog.

Thanks for the reply.

I look forward to any updates you make to the script.

Senior Citizen
Order of Kahless
Order of Kahless

Postby Senior Citizen » Fri Oct 27, 2006 2:00 pm

Quite OT, but that would be a very nice thing to have as options in Uwe's QB2. Nice piracy missions could be easilly created.

S_C

'Cause I'm free to do what I want any old time (I'm a newcreation)
'Cause I'm free to do what I want any old time
(Don't be afraid of your freedom)
'Cause I'm free to do what I want
To be what I want any old time
I said I'm free to be who I choose
To get my booze any old time

I'm Free

Soup Dragons after The Rolling Stones

RedHotChiliDog
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Postby RedHotChiliDog » Sat Oct 28, 2006 1:38 am

KAF-Thor, Mike Gwyther wrote:Hi RedHotChiliDog.

Thanks for the reply.

I look forward to any updates you make to the script.

I have added this to my features list for MQB 4.0. This should not add that much additional time to code, so it should be no problem to get it in there.
RedHotChiliDog

KAF-Thor, Mike Gwyther
Brigadier
Brigadier

Postby KAF-Thor, Mike Gwyther » Sat Oct 28, 2006 12:02 pm

Cool. I look forward to it.

There was another suggestion I remember talking about ages ago too but I think it couldn't be done?

It was the abillity to transport over to a launched fighter, just like you can to a freindly ship.

When I made my USS Pacific mod about a year ago now it came with a small escape pod.
It would be cool if, in times of trouble when your ship if fu@#ed up beyond repair, you could launch a small shuttle, escape pod, ect... beam over to it, then escape.

Or maybe even just beam over to a launched shuttle to, say, enter one of the starbases that you can enter because your main ship is too big to fly inside.

Just an idea but it could make for some good QB2/mission scripts.

But I think I remember you saying that launched ships are not controled like normal AI ships....or something like that. Hence it was impossible to beam over to one.

RedHotChiliDog
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Postby RedHotChiliDog » Sat Oct 28, 2006 5:27 pm

KAF-Thor, Mike Gwyther wrote:Cool. I look forward to it.

There was another suggestion I remember talking about ages ago too but I think it couldn't be done?

It was the abillity to transport over to a launched fighter, just like you can to a freindly ship.

When I made my USS Pacific mod about a year ago now it came with a small escape pod.
It would be cool if, in times of trouble when your ship if fu@#ed up beyond repair, you could launch a small shuttle, escape pod, ect... beam over to it, then escape.

Or maybe even just beam over to a launched shuttle to, say, enter one of the starbases that you can enter because your main ship is too big to fly inside.

Just an idea but it could make for some good QB2/mission scripts.

But I think I remember you saying that launched ships are not controled like normal AI ships....or something like that. Hence it was impossible to beam over to one.

This would be correct using the normal mode of launching fighters in KA, but as part of my MQB enhancements, I am creating a fighter launch framework that will make the transport part possible.

Basically, instead of using the method of launching fighters that is engine controlled, I will give the players an ability to define the type of fighter and how many they would like to have on their ship. These would all have their own independent ship handles being done this way, so it would be possible to script them unlike engine controlled fighters. This means you could use the emergency ship change feature to actually transport to fighters configured this way.
RedHotChiliDog

KAF-Thor, Mike Gwyther
Brigadier
Brigadier

Postby KAF-Thor, Mike Gwyther » Sat Oct 28, 2006 6:17 pm

Now that would be cool.

If will be nice to beam over to a launched shuttle, fly to the nearest 'out of range' freindly ship, beam over to that then carry on the battle.

I have had my impulse and warp engines destroyed too many times by an AI ship to just sit there and wait for it to finish me off lol.

Return to Mission Scripting