Trouble with Triggers

RacerX
Commander
Commander

Trouble with Triggers

Postby RacerX » Sun Oct 01, 2006 5:51 pm

the script i'm working on will give player the ablity to repair a ship in multiplayer if they can make it to a base station. they will be able to repair internal and primary systems even if they are completly destroyed.

The problem is triggering the repair...
I have several choices but would like some feedback on what you would consider the best for gameplay.

option 1. the ship comes within xxx meters of the base and all systems are repaired instantly but crew will have to be replinished at another base.

option 2. the ship comes within xxx meters of the base, activating a popup window which list the systems and their status. by clicking a button in the window the system is repaired or crew are replinished.

option 3. the ship comes within xxx meters of the base then hails the base. which repairs all systems except the crew.

option 4. the ship comes within xxx meters of the base and begins to orbit it, using added keys the player can repair groups of systems i.e. power generators, weapons, internal systems, hull and sheilds and so on.

Senior Citizen
Order of Kahless
Order of Kahless

Postby Senior Citizen » Sun Oct 01, 2006 6:30 pm

Since micromanagement is allowed in KA, I'd go with 4. Perhaps you could set a limit to crew replacement, say each base has 100 avaliable persons. In SP, micromanaging the repairs would be OK, but in MP I am not sure if the player will have time for this. I would sneak and attack the sitting duck. Unless you will set bases as friendly to a certain team, so the damaged ship could take shelter under its firepower.

A sugestion: You could also set stations as repair sites, but with more limited resources, say, repairs would take longer, some systems would not be fixed, or the number of destroyed systems that can be fixed is limited. Suppose my warp is gone. Station A can repair (repair? change, actually) a desroyed warp engine only once. I repair, go back to the fight, come back again with no warp and "sorry, we've run out of parts"...

S_C

'Cause I'm free to do what I want any old time (I'm a newcreation)
'Cause I'm free to do what I want any old time
(Don't be afraid of your freedom)
'Cause I'm free to do what I want
To be what I want any old time
I said I'm free to be who I choose
To get my booze any old time

I'm Free

Soup Dragons after The Rolling Stones

Darth Raven
Order of Kahless
Order of Kahless

Postby Darth Raven » Sun Oct 01, 2006 7:14 pm

Yeah, Option 4 sounds awesome :). I can't wait for whatever option you chose though, this will rock.
( [email="raven808" [@] gmail [.] com] | My Klingon Academy Mods )

RacerX
Commander
Commander

Postby RacerX » Mon Oct 02, 2006 4:38 am

well I have managed to get option 1. to work just a few minutes ago.

now all i need to do is make it a little more complex than just a fly-by repair.

61-CENTURION
Warrior Recruit
Warrior Recruit

Postby 61-CENTURION » Mon Oct 02, 2006 9:58 am

i would go with 2. more control for what gets repaired.
If you only need something you use repaired.

RedHotChiliDog
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Postby RedHotChiliDog » Wed Oct 11, 2006 3:23 pm

This sounds like a very cool feature, especially the way you are doing it. Can't wait to see it in action!

My upcoming MQB update will have a similar feature, but more of the limited variety. It will completely repair the ship upon moving within docking range of the base.
RedHotChiliDog

Klingons and Potato Chips are better with ridges.

brianmoler.com - Mission scripting and other strangeness

Return to Mission Scripting