Preliminary features list for MQB v4.0

RedHotChiliDog
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Postby RedHotChiliDog » Thu Aug 17, 2006 6:49 am

I am hoping to release a status of my changes to the script within the next couple of weeks, barring any technical issues or delays.

I am hoping to get a few of the bug fixes and the fighter launch framework functional in that time. I can then release a test version with those new features and fixes for everybody to test while I am implementing the remaining features.

I will keep you all posted on my progress.
RedHotChiliDog

Klingons and Potato Chips are better with ridges.

brianmoler.com - Mission scripting and other strangeness

RacerX
Commander
Commander

Postby RacerX » Thu Aug 17, 2006 7:05 am

we been here 6 years... i don;t think a couple of weeks is going to hurt us :)

teeth_03
Order of Kahless
Order of Kahless

Postby teeth_03 » Thu Aug 17, 2006 8:21 am

we're just glad to hear on the progress

I havent played KA,especially single player,in a very long time...

61-CENTURION
Warrior Recruit
Warrior Recruit

Postby 61-CENTURION » Sat Jan 27, 2007 1:11 pm

Any release date for MQB4 yet?

Dater
Elite Warrior
Elite Warrior

Postby Dater » Thu Jan 20, 2011 9:03 am

Any release date yet? ;)

formerkauser
Elite Warrior
Elite Warrior

Postby formerkauser » Thu Jan 20, 2011 10:30 am

[quote="Dater"]Any release date yet? ]

Lol good one. If he returns, perhaps. ;)
Formerly known as Koloth. :)

I am the Star Trek purist. :D

KA.com night janitor.

RedHotChiliDog
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Postby RedHotChiliDog » Thu Jan 20, 2011 6:25 pm

LOL, I remember this thread.

I received the email about Komat's patches to the game and trying to get mine working once again.

A couple of things were working against me when it came to this project. The main thing was that the game did not work very well for me on modern hardware so I was unable to even play or test anything that I created. This halted things pretty quickly. Also I had many time constraints due to family, pursuing a graduate degree, work, etc.

Now that there is a work-around for the technical issues, I can at least run the game without constant crashing and quirky behavior. Time has gotten a bit better for me since I will not be taking another class until later this year. I would definitely like to finish the work that I have done up to this point on the project so I will see what I can do. I don't want to promise anything since we have all seen where that has gotten me so far but if time permits and I can make good progress I will definitely keep you updated.
RedHotChiliDog

John
Chancellor
Chancellor

Postby John » Thu Jan 20, 2011 6:47 pm

Nice! :)
I'm telling you Teal'C if we don't find a way out of this soon I'm gonna loose it. Loose it, it means go crazy, nuts, insane, bonzo, no longer in possession of ones faculties, 3 fries short of a happy meal, WHACKO!

Dater
Elite Warrior
Elite Warrior

Postby Dater » Thu Jan 20, 2011 9:09 pm

[quote="formerkauser"]Lol good one. If he returns, perhaps. ]

Bazinga! Even on the same day!
:D :D :D

RedHotChiliDog
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Postby RedHotChiliDog » Sat Jan 22, 2011 2:21 am

OK, so today I decided to do a few things KA related. I installed Uwe's incredible QB2 scripting tool and also installed the 3.75c version of my MQB script. In addition I cleaned up my library of scripting tools and source code so that things are better organized. I also setup a development and testing sandbox on my machine for the purpose of script writing.

I decided to take a quick peek at the MQB code and noticed something. For some reason my latest code branch reveals that I was planning a 3.75d release with only one change:

Bug Fix: Fixed bug where player was hailing warp core and getting a response back as if it were an
enemy ship.

Now even though it has been many years since I have looked at this stuff, I do remember this particular bug and how it would be a fairly simple fix to make. The only part that confuses me is that I don't remember planning a 3.75d release prior to 4.0. Perhaps somebody has a better memory than I do and can tell me what I was thinking here? I even had a readme.txt file setup for this small release.

In any event I cannot even remember if I made the change to the current code branch. I will have to compare source code between my existing 4.0 branch and the 3.75c branch to see if I made this particular change yet. Since it is a really minor bug fix I am rolling the change into the 4.0 code branch to simplify matters and I have added it into the 4.0 planned features list.

I have a big list of items to work on here and some of the 4.0 features are in a partially completed status since I last worked on them so this may take a while to untangle. I also have to reacquaint myself with the scripting language. Since I now have a working game I will try and get as many of these completed when time permits me to do so.
RedHotChiliDog

John
Chancellor
Chancellor

Postby John » Sat Jan 22, 2011 2:27 am

Sweet :)
I'm telling you Teal'C if we don't find a way out of this soon I'm gonna loose it. Loose it, it means go crazy, nuts, insane, bonzo, no longer in possession of ones faculties, 3 fries short of a happy meal, WHACKO!

Dater
Elite Warrior
Elite Warrior

Postby Dater » Sat Jan 22, 2011 7:32 am

wow! after so many years!

I am just a little sad I cannot help you to remember. I never even noticed you could hail a warp core, which is most clearly a bug ;)

RedHotChiliDog
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Postby RedHotChiliDog » Sat Jan 22, 2011 9:10 am

I did a comparison of the code in the current branch and the code from the 3.75c release. I did indeed make a small change to correct this issue at the beginning of 2004 which was 7 years ago. I guess that makes sense because my list of 4.0 planned changes was posted in 2006 so I most likely was planning a small 3.75d release before finally deciding on a larger feature set. Although I have been writing code for some of the larger 4.0 stuff like the fighter launch and ship separation frameworks since 2004 with a lot of large breaks in between. At least I now know that the change for this bug fix has already been made and I will roll that change into the 4.0 release whenever that will be.

I think Duke Nukem Forever was announced in 1997 so if Gearbox delivers it this year as planned, it would have taken nearly forever (14 years) from start to finish and that is a record I don't want to break :D
RedHotChiliDog

Shiro ClanClan
Warrior Recruit
Warrior Recruit

Postby Shiro ClanClan » Fri Apr 22, 2011 10:41 am

Absolutely amazing to see you back, and to see MQB get some fire back up under it! Well done!
What!? You dare defy the CtarlCtarl Empire!?

-Aisha ClanClan

RedHotChiliDog
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Postby RedHotChiliDog » Wed May 18, 2011 5:41 am

Thanks Shiro! Been occupied with some work and personal items this last month but looking forward to gettting back to work on my projects shortly.
RedHotChiliDog

DBF68
Commander
Commander

Postby DBF68 » Wed May 18, 2011 8:52 am

RHCD, since you're working on enhancing the MFD, is there any scripting way that would allow for both the PIP and Gunnery sensor strip to be on the screen at the same time?

KA would be a whole new improved ball game if we had the chase camera view experience like there is with Bridge Commander. BC allows the camera to track a target regardless of your ship orientation. In BC, you can anticipate and pilot your ship accordingly based on this chase camera target tracking. Since that's not possible at the moment, maybe there's a next best thing workaround.

With KA, you're blind when using the PIP and being far enough away such that you can't get a sensor lock to provide you with an image of your target's orientation to you. With the Gunnery sensor strip view, you don't know a target's orientation unless you're directly facing that target. So, it's hard to counter maneuver until the enemy ship is practically in your face and on a collision course. Since a BC chase view ability in KA isn't possible without having the means to access and modify apsects in the ka.exe file, having both the PIP and Gunnery strip in view would be a reasonable compromise.

Speaking of collision courses, what I would give to have a duplicate of the distance info readout of an enemy ship underneath the center reticle. I can not tell you how many times I get the collision imminient klaxon, try to visually gauge if I have enough space to veer off, only to be bounding box clobbered by the opposing ship that thinks playing space chicken is a legitimate battle tactic. The last thing I'm doing is darting my eyes back and forth to the distance readout above the target info while trying to avoid a collision. :p
Warning, we have entered Neutral Zone, Warning.....

LeDaniel
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Postby LeDaniel » Tue Dec 13, 2011 5:35 pm

Is Modified quick battle 4.0 still workinn on it, or is it freez ???

DBF68
Commander
Commander

Postby DBF68 » Tue Dec 13, 2011 8:51 pm

LeDaniel wrote:Is Modified quick battle 4.0 still workinn on it, or is it freez ???
It's one of those Works In Slow Progress types of things. Don't hold your breath in anticipation that he'll have anything knocked out anytime soon. Unfortunately, the necessities of real life take a priority to doing more fun stuff (work, college, significant other, kids, etc.)
Warning, we have entered Neutral Zone, Warning.....

LeDaniel
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Postby LeDaniel » Wed Dec 14, 2011 9:49 am

DBF68 wrote:It's one of those Works In Slow Progress types of things. Don't hold your breath in anticipation that he'll have anything knocked out anytime soon. Unfortunately, the necessities of real life take a priority to doing more fun stuff (work, college, significant other, kids, etc.)

I understand :-). And i tribute to you, that you handle with this all.

RedHotChiliDog
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Postby RedHotChiliDog » Sun Jun 10, 2012 12:55 am

LeDaniel wrote:I understand :-). And i tribute to you, that you handle with this all.

I appreciate the patience that everyone has had with this. I tend to drop in-and-out for extended periods because of numerous real-life issues. It has really been killing me that I have not been able to do this work in a faster fashion.

I had a bit of free time right around when Komat released his excellent patch to bring this game back to life and I had started working on my projects for a short time until more things came up that has kept me quite busy. While I have not had a post on these boards for some time, I have been making some small amount of progress when I am able. I have been trying real hard to keep working on the script when I am able but not over-promise on a timeline. I don't want to promise on a timeframe and then not be able to deliver by that time. So I am putting time towards the project when I am able and hope that I can release something while there is still interest in this great game.

So it is still a work-in-progress that is not frozen but just going a lot more slowly than I would like.
RedHotChiliDog

PreviousNext

Return to Mission Scripting