Cheaters... Scripting god needed.

Darth Raven
Order of Kahless
Order of Kahless

Cheaters... Scripting god needed.

Postby Darth Raven » Fri Mar 24, 2006 11:16 am

I know how the cheaters on GSA are doing it... well, I've known for quite some time, but lost it when I lost my pc... well, I've got it back.

They load up in game, no data mis-match errors and have perfect sensors, and rapid firing weapons (on all ships they use)...

I'd like a scripter to take a look at something and tell me if there's a way to block the cheaters from getting in game if they do it... Due to the nature of the problem, I'd rather not post how it's done here.

If there's a scripting god who would like to do the KA Online community a favor, please PM me.

Thank you very much for your time,
Raven.
( [email="raven808" [@] gmail [.] com] | My Klingon Academy Mods )

teeth_03
Order of Kahless
Order of Kahless

Postby teeth_03 » Fri Mar 24, 2006 12:19 pm

you'd have to talk to gordon...I'm not sure if hes in the mood to KA script tho...

Darth Raven
Order of Kahless
Order of Kahless

Postby Darth Raven » Fri Mar 24, 2006 7:26 pm

We have a few Scripting gods here as well m8 ;)

Bobby
Brigadier
Brigadier

Postby Bobby » Fri Mar 24, 2006 7:50 pm

[quote="Darth Raven"]We have a few Scripting gods here as well m8 ]
At least the last time I looked we did. :)

I'd take a look at it but I haven't even touched the multiplayer aspect of scripting since I started oh so long ago. To be honest, never even looked at the files before. To be even more honest...lol...never even played a multiplayer game before. I know...I know...I should.:o One day though when I decide to take a break from single player scripting, I might try the multiplayer part of it and see what I could do.
Image[color=darkorange]"I reject your reality, and substitute my own!" -- Adam Savage - Mythbusters[/color]

Darth Raven
Order of Kahless
Order of Kahless

Postby Darth Raven » Fri Mar 24, 2006 8:06 pm

That's okay Bobby :). There's a lot of people who don't play online. I just prefer online as the AI on the game sucks lol.

Thanx m8 :)

Bobby
Brigadier
Brigadier

Postby Bobby » Fri Mar 24, 2006 8:14 pm

No problem. :) And yeah...the AI does get to be a pain sometimes.
Image[color=darkorange]"I reject your reality, and substitute my own!" -- Adam Savage - Mythbusters[/color]

Gordon Finlay
Elite Warrior
Elite Warrior

Postby Gordon Finlay » Tue Mar 28, 2006 1:53 pm

The Kick Script (last revision of it anyway) should allow the host to choose whether or not to allow an incoming player into the game. And once in the game, you should still be able to eject them.

My Kick Script is available for download from the following URL:
http://gordonf.rscfleet.net/KA/kick.rar

If you have any comments or concerns, feel free to address them to me here, in PM, or over MSN Messenger (my contact address is gordie_f@hotmail.com).

------

For the public record, and hopefully to clear up some confusion as to what IS and IS NOT scripting, the symptoms you describe are created by a modified RSRCPRMS.DFT file, *NOT* a script.

The RSRCPRMS.DFT file contains the default values for ships in KA. These defaults are overwritten by values in the SHP files, with a few exceptions, including the weapons firing rate and sensor efficiency.

Unfortunately, when the patch was released it only runs checksums on the SHP files, and not the RSRCPRMS.DFT file. This glaring oversight (combined with the now-rectified lack of ability to persecute the cheaters in-game) is what allowed cheaters free-range over our gaming community.

Ultimately, however, the responsibility lies with the player to weed out and report cheaters, and then simply not play with them (admittedly easier said than done, given the small number of people who still play online).

I hope this clears things up.

Darth Raven
Order of Kahless
Order of Kahless

Postby Darth Raven » Tue Mar 28, 2006 7:59 pm

Gordon Finlay wrote:The Kick Script (last revision of it anyway) should allow the host to choose whether or not to allow an incoming player into the game. And once in the game, you should still be able to eject them.

My Kick Script is available for download from the following URL:
http://gordonf.rscfleet.net/KA/kick.rar

If you have any comments or concerns, feel free to address them to me here, in PM, or over MSN Messenger (my contact address is [email="gordie_f@hotmail.com"]gordie_f@hotmail.com[/email]).

------

For the public record, and hopefully to clear up some confusion as to what IS and IS NOT scripting, the symptoms you describe are created by a modified RSRCPRMS.DFT file, *NOT* a script.

The RSRCPRMS.DFT file contains the default values for ships in KA. These defaults are overwritten by values in the SHP files, with a few exceptions, including the weapons firing rate and sensor efficiency.

Unfortunately, when the patch was released it only runs checksums on the SHP files, and not the RSRCPRMS.DFT file. This glaring oversight (combined with the now-rectified lack of ability to persecute the cheaters in-game) is what allowed cheaters free-range over our gaming community.

Ultimately, however, the responsibility lies with the player to weed out and report cheaters, and then simply not play with them (admittedly easier said than done, given the small number of people who still play online).

I hope this clears things up.

There's nothing to clear up my friend. I've known how it's done for years now.
I know all about the RSRCPRMS.DFT file... I was hopeing to avoid saying what file it was in an open forum. Too late now I guess lol.

But it IS a scripting question, as I was looking for a SCRIPT to check if everyone had the same RSRCPRMS.DFT file, and if they didn't, it could give a mismatch error.

But thanks for the reply :).

Gordon Finlay
Elite Warrior
Elite Warrior

Postby Gordon Finlay » Wed Mar 29, 2006 1:21 am

The clarification was for the benefit of the community members or otherwise uninformed people who might read this message and need to know. Knowledge in and of itself is not dangerous.

As for your question, I could look into supplementing the Kick Script with a checksum for the RSRCPRMS.DFT. In fact, I might just do that now. The question, though, is will it work fast enough to be worth the trouble? (If you have to wait 5 minutes to join a game every single time, it probably will be more trouble than its worth.)

Darth Raven
Order of Kahless
Order of Kahless

Postby Darth Raven » Wed Mar 29, 2006 1:48 am

Aye. And it has been a long time since I've seen you around Sir. Are you still with the RA? I miss our battles, they were always something to behold... You and that Warbird lol. You taught me much, I'm not sure if I thanked you for that before or not, if not... thanks a lot :).

A script which would check the players RSRCPRMS.DFT would be a great script IMHO. I know I am tired of loading up and finding some n00b kickin my booty because he edited the LEAVESONLY lines lol. If I knew how to do the script myself, I'd do it.

As long as it didn't take 5 minutes to load, I'd be happy lol. What if it only checked the relevant lines? Like the Sensor and Leavesonly lines? I don't think any of the other functions work in KA anymore anyway. Just an idea.

Thanks for the reply Gordon.

EDIT: By the way, if you do make a script I'd be more than happy to test it with you. I can modify a couple lines in a jiffy for a test.

Commander-Apollo
Warrior Recruit
Warrior Recruit

Postby Commander-Apollo » Sat Apr 01, 2006 8:11 am

With all do respect, that will only have limited success still? The patch to the RSRCPRMS.DFT can be bypassed simply because its not needed to mod a game.

Darth Raven
Order of Kahless
Order of Kahless

Postby Darth Raven » Sat Apr 01, 2006 10:39 am

It's not -needed- to mod a game, but it is the only way to -cheat- without giving off a data mismatch error.

It would at least let the player know the other one is cheating before they wreak havok on the game.

Commander-Apollo
Warrior Recruit
Warrior Recruit

Postby Commander-Apollo » Sun Apr 02, 2006 2:45 am

Once again, With all do respect Sir, that is incorrect.

Darth Raven
Order of Kahless
Order of Kahless

Postby Darth Raven » Sun Apr 02, 2006 4:03 am

I'm sorry, but your not being clear. Please state what you mean in more than one sentence. Just saying something is wrong will not help anyone nor make much sense, elaborate if you could.

-If- your referring to the kaparams file, it doesn't do jack without the debugged KA btw.

-If- your referring to modifying a specific ship's .shp file, it will give off a data mismatch error/

The only way to cheat in multiplayer without giving off a data mismatch error is to edit the RSRCPRMS.DFT settings file.

If you know of another way to cheat in multiplayer, please feel free to speak up. Or if I'm wrong on any of this.

Thank you.

teeth_03
Order of Kahless
Order of Kahless

Postby teeth_03 » Sun Apr 02, 2006 4:05 am

well,he is beong vauge,but Gordon did tell on me on MSN of a big issue with this

...all players would need the script for the mismatch to show up..so modders could just...not use it...

Darth Raven
Order of Kahless
Order of Kahless

Postby Darth Raven » Sun Apr 02, 2006 5:06 am

Aye :(.

Commander-Apollo
Warrior Recruit
Warrior Recruit

Postby Commander-Apollo » Sun Apr 02, 2006 5:09 am

Excuse me please, I do not mean to be cryptic, but I don't see the need to blurt out the methods here as they would be common knowledge. One or Two ways can probably be gotten around, but there is one way, I expect cant be! And to be spoken cleary I can think of 3 ways that the RSRCPRMS.DFT can be bypassed. However, after thought, the RSRCPRMS.DFT being the simplist way to cheat it may be well worth it..

Darth Raven
Order of Kahless
Order of Kahless

Postby Darth Raven » Sun Apr 02, 2006 5:12 am

Why bypass the RSRCPRMS.DFT file? That's the way to cheat, by editing the RSRCPRMS.DFT file in the first place.

Above I mentioned all the ways to cheat, I don't think there are any more. I've looked through just about every script and settings file in KA. Unless it's hard coded into the ka.exe file.

Commander-Apollo
Warrior Recruit
Warrior Recruit

Postby Commander-Apollo » Sun Apr 02, 2006 5:26 am

If you would Ill list the ways to do it here, simply let me know, but, I assure you, the way or ways lying out here will not make things better for you, simply worse.

Darth Raven
Order of Kahless
Order of Kahless

Postby Darth Raven » Sun Apr 02, 2006 5:33 am

You have mail Commander.

Next

Return to Mission Scripting