Dedicated Server Idea

teeth_03
Order of Kahless
Order of Kahless

Dedicated Server Idea

Postby teeth_03 » Thu Mar 02, 2006 2:51 am

so...Gordon (how did you know I would ask you in particular? lol),me,Paladin and Raven both agree that a dedicated server script would be a good thing to have...since I 'think' Fox said he could host KA

anyway,basically, if you could make your explore script a perpetual game (no one can win, everyone just agrees on 5 kills or whatever), and maybe have special admin commands like to spawn AI..or to kick people,etc etc

maybe other admin commands could be to enable or disable warping out and maybe change what the starting system is while ingame,other stuff like that (maybe the admin wants to change the battle so everyone stays in the same system, he would first disable warp out,change the starting system if he wants to and kill everyone so they respawn,lol).

one last thing,if its possible to fix the common bugs,it would be nice...(shield bug,spawn bug,private chat bug,transwarp...etc etc).

so, think you would be interesting in making such a thing? We are all beginning to hate GSA,and think that if there was a game always up, we could just join the game by IP and never use it again.

Gordon Finlay
Elite Warrior
Elite Warrior

Postby Gordon Finlay » Thu Mar 02, 2006 3:58 am

I don't know if anyone is interested in scripting for KA anymore. I would love to be proven wrong, but as far as I can tell there doesn't seem to be much activity from scripters out there at all.

The kind of operation you suggest is quite feasible, and something I was considering as an "End-Game" scenario for the Explore script sometime ago. Basically, it works this way:

The precise state of every ship in the game can be stored and restored using variables and text files. You simply iterate through the ships in the game, and then iterate a health check on each of the resources on-board (which you can either limit to stock-possible only for faster performance, or to all possible for modding expandability) and store this into a variable or number of variables. This can be written to a text file, along with the ship's name, class, crew layout, elite officers, position, and orientation, along with what other pertinent information you want (unfortunately, I don't believe its feasible to store velocity vectors as well).

When the game is restored, the starting distance between players can be altered to a minimum distance (so that if someone was 500k behind someone else when the game saved, they'll be further away), and all ships are loaded and then damaged according to their health messages. This should activate all the necessary ginsus, and voila-- game state restored.

This is the Save/Restore phase. There is one phase beyond this, which I considered and deemed feasible, if a bit excessive, which would be a database-driven persistent universe. In this model, the KA server script would be continuously polling a text file in the KA directory for updates, and outputting updates of its own into a seperate textfile. In the background of the computer running the KA server would be ANOTHER external program written entirely in scratch that monitors the game's output file, processes the info, and returns whatever the KA script needs to know about in the input file.

That external program could then be linked to a SQL database, or whatever. It means that things that are beyond the purview of the KA script's ability to process effectively and efficiently (strategic movements, planetary development, strategic AI handling, and AI-vs.AI battles) could be handled without dampening the game's performance.

But before we get too far ahead of ourselves, is there really enough interest in this game to warrant such an undertaking?

teeth_03
Order of Kahless
Order of Kahless

Postby teeth_03 » Thu Mar 02, 2006 4:01 am

as that does sound kewl,as we have talked about it before...but I'm sure we were all thinking of something a little less complicated...

Gordon Finlay
Elite Warrior
Elite Warrior

Postby Gordon Finlay » Thu Mar 02, 2006 4:02 am

What? You mean like just a script with no kill limits and simple AI commands?

Geesh!

teeth_03
Order of Kahless
Order of Kahless

Postby teeth_03 » Thu Mar 02, 2006 4:06 am

well,we would all greatly appreciate if you actually did make that [places term for what you were describing, while including terms like awesome and uber cool] but considering the fact that you would probably have to do it all yourself, you probably wouldn't want to...

but right now,we just want a way to run a standard game 24/7

'Ohweune'
Warrior Recruit
Warrior Recruit

Postby 'Ohweune' » Fri Mar 03, 2006 7:10 pm

What if someone just setup a server with KA on it, and gave certain people remote access to it. . .So even if everyone in the lobby has a lousy connection, you could still have a low lag game.

B-Gar
Warrior Recruit
Warrior Recruit

Postby B-Gar » Sun May 28, 2006 2:37 pm

Hey gordon, how are you? well just to let you know i am interested in scripting. Mainly for multiplayer (single player is sooooo boring lol) once i igure out how to compile the scripts then i can play with it and see what i can do. on another note, wouldnt a dedicated server end up too laggy even on the best of servers?
KILL THE SOB HE'S WEBBED!!!!!!!!!!!!

RacerX
Commander
Commander

Postby RacerX » Thu Jun 01, 2006 9:15 pm

though the idea is a great one. I tend to agree with Gordo the undertaking of such a script would be futile compared to the number of players left in the game, plus with the release of future ST games i'm sure the intrest will drop off drasticly.

but some things that can be done to keep the game going are more intresting MP scripts.
I been working on one that will give players a NWN type game allowing the host to create missions for players on the fly including adding ships and providing objectives. though the work is slow it is possible in a MP script.

RedHotChiliDog
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Postby RedHotChiliDog » Thu Jul 06, 2006 8:01 am

In the past, I was toying with the notion of creating a perpetual MP script that just simply had an unlimited amount of time and respawns. This would be a very crude script, but would be the easiest way of accomplishing this. Adding a multisystem warp option (which is not too hard to do) and you would have a bit of a hide-n-seek type play too, although those battles would take a bit of time to play out as you would not know where your opponents were warping to :)
RedHotChiliDog

Klingons and Potato Chips are better with ridges.

brianmoler.com - Mission scripting and other strangeness

RacerX
Commander
Commander

Postby RacerX » Thu Jul 06, 2006 8:54 am

well i've seen were Gordo has added extra VOS commands could that be a cure ? say one that allows you to search for ships in the sector instead of just the system? also in his explorer script he has a feature that gives the warp destination of a ship if you hav it targeted and are with in a certain range. these are just some brainstorms.

RedHotChiliDog
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Postby RedHotChiliDog » Thu Jul 06, 2006 9:10 am

Oh, I will have to check those scripts out. Those features sounds like great ways to work around these issues.
RedHotChiliDog

Klingons and Potato Chips are better with ridges.

brianmoler.com - Mission scripting and other strangeness

teeth_03
Order of Kahless
Order of Kahless

Postby teeth_03 » Thu Jul 06, 2006 12:34 pm

yeah if I remember right

if you held right shift,and used the < and > keys,you browsed the player slots,where you could put your location in 'memory' and send it to people

teeth_03
Order of Kahless
Order of Kahless

Postby teeth_03 » Wed Jul 19, 2006 11:37 pm

more dedicated server script ideas-

because the game shouldn't end,how about this for goals-

have it configurable,so like,you can set it,so when someone gets like,5 kill points,it shows that person's name on the screen,and kicks everyone out of the game,but leaves the game still up,so everyone can rejoin and try again

also,maybe make it so a certain IP adress can have RECON commands to kick people out (like if I hosted the server on another computer in my house,but used this one to actually play)

other recon commands could be to launch missions,like Starbase Assault,Battlefest,Convoy Duty,etc etc

another question tho,would it be possible to create a program to relauch KA in the event of a crash,straight into game?

I think,eventually,I'd like to host a server,perhaps....

D'Arcinoff
Warrior Recruit
Warrior Recruit

Postby D'Arcinoff » Tue Oct 24, 2006 7:05 am

Gordon Finlay wrote:I don't know if anyone is interested in scripting for KA anymore. I would love to be proven wrong, but as far as I can tell there doesn't seem to be much activity from scripters out there at all.

The kind of operation you suggest is quite feasible, and something I was considering as an "End-Game" scenario for the Explore script sometime ago. Basically, it works this way:

The precise state of every ship in the game can be stored and restored using variables and text files. You simply iterate through the ships in the game, and then iterate a health check on each of the resources on-board (which you can either limit to stock-possible only for faster performance, or to all possible for modding expandability) and store this into a variable or number of variables. This can be written to a text file, along with the ship's name, class, crew layout, elite officers, position, and orientation, along with what other pertinent information you want (unfortunately, I don't believe its feasible to store velocity vectors as well).

When the game is restored, the starting distance between players can be altered to a minimum distance (so that if someone was 500k behind someone else when the game saved, they'll be further away), and all ships are loaded and then damaged according to their health messages. This should activate all the necessary ginsus, and voila-- game state restored.

This is the Save/Restore phase. There is one phase beyond this, which I considered and deemed feasible, if a bit excessive, which would be a database-driven persistent universe. In this model, the KA server script would be continuously polling a text file in the KA directory for updates, and outputting updates of its own into a seperate textfile. In the background of the computer running the KA server would be ANOTHER external program written entirely in scratch that monitors the game's output file, processes the info, and returns whatever the KA script needs to know about in the input file.

That external program could then be linked to a SQL database, or whatever. It means that things that are beyond the purview of the KA script's ability to process effectively and efficiently (strategic movements, planetary development, strategic AI handling, and AI-vs.AI battles) could be handled without dampening the game's performance.

But before we get too far ahead of ourselves, is there really enough interest in this game to warrant such an undertaking?

YES YES YES

I have been thinking about this for ages and would very much like to support this in any way needed including money and all that real world stuff that is so annoying.

Could the more experienced members elaborate on this more so i can see what resources i need to round up. People, software, hardware etc.

Have or is there a way to be sure that someone doesnt just uber out his ship once he would be in thies persistant universe?

Return to Mission Scripting