Galactic Exploration - Work In Progress

KAAF Paladin
Order of Kahless
Order of Kahless

Postby KAAF Paladin » Fri Dec 02, 2005 2:45 am

Finish it...........finish it.............

*Uses Jedi mind tricks*
You want to finish this script......you will finish this script.............and give Paladin $100. But first you will finish this script......

Our gaming lives are in your hands.
I'm somewhere without my pants.

I also have a Youtube channel.It's right here!

teeth_03
Order of Kahless
Order of Kahless

Postby teeth_03 » Fri Dec 02, 2005 3:38 am

your jedi powers are useless against THE POWER OF CHEESE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

61-CENTURION
Warrior Recruit
Warrior Recruit

Postby 61-CENTURION » Fri Dec 02, 2005 8:34 am

the power of the cheese is useless to the power of a good disruptor *unholsters a disruptor* so finish the script so no one gets hurt...

Trey3
Captain
Captain

Postby Trey3 » Fri Dec 02, 2005 2:48 pm

i would like you to finish it please. :)
Capt Kirk and orginal USS Enterprise and crew #1 too me, Deep Space 9 is #2 for me.

61-CENTURION
Warrior Recruit
Warrior Recruit

Postby 61-CENTURION » Sun Dec 18, 2005 10:06 am

Gordon Finlay wrote:Update (June 5th, 3:15 PM):
I added a neat little feature, where the game calculates the vector to your destination star system and makes you ship warp in that direction, instead of just arbitrarily warping off into the sunset like it currently does (you must admit though its kind of funny to see the fleet warping off in one direction and your ship warping off in a completely different one)
Well at least that is better but it would take a while to get going when in a Battleship type thingy

'Ohweune'
Warrior Recruit
Warrior Recruit

Postby 'Ohweune' » Mon Feb 13, 2006 3:40 am

This sounds interesting, but since all the links are dead, can someone send me the file? I'll pm transfer options to anyone who offers.

Darth Raven
Order of Kahless
Order of Kahless

Postby Darth Raven » Mon Feb 13, 2006 5:32 am

Image We wants it! You will be as a god if you finish it and release it Image.
( [email="raven808" [@] gmail [.] com] | My Klingon Academy Mods )

Gordon Finlay
Elite Warrior
Elite Warrior

Postby Gordon Finlay » Mon Feb 13, 2006 6:01 am

Aren't there any other scripters on KA.com who do multiplayer scripts? :P

That aside, what features do y'all want in a KA script (this one, or another)?

Darth Raven
Order of Kahless
Order of Kahless

Postby Darth Raven » Mon Feb 13, 2006 7:43 am

So far, all of the features I'd want, you've said you've put in the current script.
( [email="raven808" [@] gmail [.] com] | My Klingon Academy Mods )

Dater
Elite Warrior
Elite Warrior

Postby Dater » Sat Feb 12, 2011 1:19 am

Gordon Finlay wrote:I didn't think anyone would still be interested in it. When I get home today, I'll see whats up with the server and re-upload if necessary.

To be honest, I've been sucked into the EVE universe, as it has a lot of the strategic elements I was hoping to impliment in KA. If theres still a convincable number of people wanting this script finished, I could always dig up the sources and try to work on it some more, but I don't think theres many people left here that actually play KA multiplayer, are there? :/

Somewhere in the Alpha Quadrant. 5 years later...

Hey Gordon,

what's the progress on that extraordinary KA Multiplayer script? Do you still have the sources? Could you send me the beta? I would love to try it out! :)
Dater: "Yeah, Teeth. Thanks for pushing me into a black hole!"

Gordon Finlay
Elite Warrior
Elite Warrior

Postby Gordon Finlay » Sun Feb 13, 2011 9:11 am

Wow, it's been a while. The bad news is, the script is unfinished. The good news is, I still have all the source code. The better news is, the code isn't as much of a disaster as one might think. I'll have to get to work on it when I get the chance (this weekend was a working weekend for us, so I haven't had much time to devote to it).

So here it is, the latest version of the script I had compiled. It doesn't completely eat itself, but it also doesn't implement all of the features yet. One obvious bug that will require some engineering to fix in the next version is the resolution: While at the warping UI, the interface is scaled and positioned for a 640x480 resolution; there is no inherent scripting command for determining the game's resolution, but the resolution can be read from a file in the KA directory (this, of course, depends entirely on the user inputting the correct resolution into the file, on pain of crashing). Look for it in the next release, whenever that is. :)

http://hotfile.com/dl/104232383/0413e0e/explore.zip.html

Hope you enjoy!

Dater
Elite Warrior
Elite Warrior

Postby Dater » Sun Feb 13, 2011 1:46 pm

OF COURSE I will enjoy! :)

I have two PC's at home and wil try it out today. And I will file my full report afterwards.

You planned so many features, I still can't believe it! I would like to help you any way I can. But since english isn't my native tongue I wouldn't apply for the voice acting part haha ;)

I consider myself your personal debug tester for now...

Dater
Elite Warrior
Elite Warrior

Postby Dater » Mon Feb 14, 2011 2:21 am

Here are the test results:

Reproducible bugs:
----------------------
-HUD messages are only displayed on the host's display.
-key "5" doesn't work after warp.
-course can be changed during warp on warp screen.

Bugs which only occur occasionally:
----------------------------------------
-After warp, phaser and photon torpedos(i guess all the other weapons too) lived longer. Because of that photon torpedos had a much higher range. And you almost could overtake your own phaser rays
-After warp, vessel only decelerated to about 2500 kps. Full stop command without effect (VOS 2-4-5 didn't work, possibily because of the key number 5 not working after warp). Emergency full stop had to be issued several times. I was deep inside the corona of the Qo'nos sun with shields down and hull at 60% before the ship came to a full stop.

Suggestions:
-ETA for warp screen.
-disabling of controls in warp screen or use of cursor keys instead of num pad keys for the warp screen.
-HUD message is only displayed for about 2 seconds. Should be a little longer.
-disable warp drive for 30 seconds after last use, to prevent warp fests.

Error message when pressing key "5" after system warp:

"Error during execution: Error selecting window gui_sectorMap
Current script: scripts\expl\expl.int. procedure scripts\expl\expl.int::warpGui_DrawSectorMap"

Which key should make this HUD message visible? I only got it by pressing lots of keys at the same time. Also Shift+1-3 didn't work for me. But I had a reaction when I pressed the Ö,Ä,Ü buttons (german keyboard).
My shift key is assigned to the "fire all weapons" function, though.

"Shift+1 Warp to this location
Shift+2 Mark for transmission
Shift+3 Transmit marked to player"

Gordon Finlay
Elite Warrior
Elite Warrior

Postby Gordon Finlay » Mon Feb 14, 2011 7:55 am

Hey, thank you for the feedback.

The long-range of the phasers and photons is probably an engine bug: If you're targetting a celestial object, your weapons are super-long range (basically if you can target it, you can hit it). This is a holdover from the SFA engine; the only scripted solution would be to check if the target is a celestial object and disallow weapons fire (theoretically, you could have the script check if the celestial object is within a certain range BUT this would be either a hard-coded value or one that can be externalized to a file in the KA directory).

Being able to change course during out-system warp is an intended feature. Once you leave a system, you're assumed to be flying out in the middle of deep space. Nothing's stopping you from dropping out of warp and changing direction. However, for gameplay purposes, we can consider putting in a delay between course changes (similar to the delay when dropping out of / entering warp). Might be more realistic too...

The ETA is a good idea. I'll work on that for the next revision. I've got to get to bed now, but I made the dialog messages last longer (they'll actually be standard duration KA dialogs now, based on the length of the message).

You're absolutely right about the keyboard hints; I did not consider that they would be different for another country's keyboard (nor did I think somebody in another country would be playing my script lol).

The keys are:
'<' - Select Previous Player
'>' - Select Next Player
'?' - Show Selected Player
'!' - Warp to Last Known Location (of selected player)
'@' - Mark the selected player's location info for transmission
'#' - Transmit the currently marked location info to the selected player
'$' - Ejects the current player from the game (Host Only)

As much as I'd love to upload the changes I just talked about, I just found out the source I have is for a currently-broken version of the script. DOH. I'm gonna need to actually sit down and go over the code before I can put out a revision, so enjoy the hints until then!

Please give me more feedback and recommendations as far as the playability (rules) of the warp-trap and other game mechanics go. Thanks.

-Gordon

Dater
Elite Warrior
Elite Warrior

Postby Dater » Mon Feb 14, 2011 11:45 am

Gordon Finlay wrote:The long-range of the phasers and photons is probably an engine bug: If you're targetting a celestial object, your weapons are super-long range (basically if you can target it, you can hit it). This is a holdover from the SFA engine]
Ah, I think I read about that bug somewhere. I will try to provoke that behaviour again later.

Gordon Finlay wrote:Being able to change course during out-system warp is an intended feature. Once you leave a system, you're assumed to be flying out in the middle of deep space. Nothing's stopping you from dropping out of warp and changing direction. However, for gameplay purposes, we can consider putting in a delay between course changes (similar to the delay when dropping out of / entering warp). Might be more realistic too...

The problem is, you can basically just warp in a big circle and never get out of the warp transit. Wouldn't that be somekind of cheating?

Gordon Finlay wrote:The ETA is a good idea. I'll work on that for the next revision. I've got to get to bed now, but I made the dialog messages last longer (they'll actually be standard duration KA dialogs now, based on the length of the message).

Thanks! I also notice that the warp trail is always leaving the first screen of the map(the one where you can see federation, klingon, romulan territories) altough my destination was Qo'nos (should be in klingon space haha)
Is that on purpose?

Gordon Finlay wrote:You're absolutely right about the keyboard hints]
Thanks for the key bindings. I will try to change the keyboard layout to US for testing purposes.

Gordon Finlay wrote:As much as I'd love to upload the changes I just talked about, I just found out the source I have is for a currently-broken version of the script. DOH. I'm gonna need to actually sit down and go over the code before I can put out a revision, so enjoy the hints until then!

Doh! as Homer would say. So the script you gave me was "newer" or the same version as your source?

Gordon Finlay wrote:Please give me more feedback and recommendations as far as the playability (rules) of the warp-trap and other game mechanics go. Thanks.

Sure! :)

I will have a friend coming over next weekend and we will thoroughly test your script for playability.

Could we add random encounters to the script? What kind of random encounters would be possible? Even "missions" with objectives of somekind?
That would come very close to a sandbox game like GTA haha

Gordon Finlay
Elite Warrior
Elite Warrior

Postby Gordon Finlay » Mon Feb 14, 2011 4:54 pm

My schedule will be a bit more free this weekend. Saturday, in fact, is generally my 'open' day. I would be happy to test/play the script with you on Saturday at any time; 12PM EST would be a reasonable time for me to wake up, and that would be 7PMish for you, right? If you want earlier, I can do earlier, but I'll need coffee ;)

As far as random encounters... I remember tearing my hair out trying to get the random encounters to go away, and now you want them back!? Hehe, no, I understand; the goal is to put the encounters in the hands of the scripters instead of the engine (random encounters defined in the .KAS system file just happen without the script getting much say in it).

It's rapidly becoming clear to me that some externalized file is necessary to store this information. This will let us put the resolution size and key bindings in a separate file to let people customize them accordingly, and also we can make up some good "random"ish encounters to put in.

With regards to the continual warp-fest in deep space: If multiple players are warping around in deep space (the warp screen with the Indiana Jones trail), one should be able to target the other and set an intercept course. If they meet, they'll both be dropped out of warp and put in Deep Space to fight. This *should* be implemented (it was in one of the versions, but the one we have right now may be from an earlier version), so give it a try and see.

I like the idea of not letting someone warp for a specified time; for these "deep space" battles that may prove to be the simplest solution. Another possibility is allowing weapons fire to temporarily prevent warping-- if you get hit, you won't be able to engage your warp drive until a certain amount of time has elapsed.

The original 'vision' included a trippy battle between ships at warp-speed. I might need another alcohol binge to be able to accurately relay what I had in mind for this, so catch me another time :P

Also, as you can tell from the screenshots forum, I've been playing around with the terrain system. We've got to try a multiplayer battle in a mega-field and see how well it handles. Since asteroids aren't synced between players, it might actually not be as terrible as you'd think, but I'd definitely love to try.

Thanks for playing!

Dater
Elite Warrior
Elite Warrior

Postby Dater » Mon Feb 14, 2011 6:34 pm

Gordon Finlay wrote:My schedule will be a bit more free this weekend. Saturday, in fact, is generally my 'open' day. I would be happy to test/play the script with you on Saturday at any time]

Sure! I'd love to! Just send me an email when you wake up! ;) Alternatively you could add me to your skype: chau-huei

Gordon Finlay wrote:As far as random encounters... I remember tearing my hair out trying to get the random encounters to go away, and now you want them back!? Hehe, no, I understand]
Oh didn't know they were enabled by default! Of course it would be great if you could design own random encounters. Like a science Outpost needing to be defended or 2 weak gorn pirates attacking a federation freighter and stuff like that... That certainly would rock!

Gordon Finlay wrote:It's rapidly becoming clear to me that some externalized file is necessary to store this information. This will let us put the resolution size and key bindings in a separate file to let people customize them accordingly, and also we can make up some good "random"ish encounters to put in.

Yep, sounds very reasonable to me.

Gordon Finlay wrote:With regards to the continual warp-fest in deep space: If multiple players are warping around in deep space (the warp screen with the Indiana Jones trail), one should be able to target the other and set an intercept course. If they meet, they'll both be dropped out of warp and put in Deep Space to fight. This *should* be implemented (it was in one of the versions, but the one we have right now may be from an earlier version), so give it a try and see.

Wow! I didn't know you had that in mind! Will try it out later.

Gordon Finlay wrote:I like the idea of not letting someone warp for a specified time]
Weapons fire shouldn't prevent someone from warping. How could you escape from two enemies shooting at you? I guess a very general disable-warp-for-xx-seconds would do. I guess around 30 seconds should suffice. With that time somebody who is after you would have at least a chance to disable your warp drives after he caught up with you for a few times.

Gordon Finlay wrote:Also, as you can tell from the screenshots forum, I've been playing around with the terrain system. We've got to try a multiplayer battle in a mega-field and see how well it handles. Since asteroids aren't synced between players, it might actually not be as terrible as you'd think, but I'd definitely love to try.

Ah yes, I saw that! I didn't know the asteroids are not being synced in multiplayer, so it wouldn't work tractoring somebody into one, right? Too bad, it was on my things-I-have-to-try list haha ;)

Gordon Finlay
Elite Warrior
Elite Warrior

Postby Gordon Finlay » Tue Feb 15, 2011 5:12 am

So an aside: I decided to try the modded system (asteroid field) from the other thread in conjunction with my exploration script. I discovered something interesting-- apparently, for asteroid collision purposes, all the loaded systems' celestial bodies seemed to be located in the same single system. Since I centered my asteroid field around an UNO-point ship sun, what resulted was, well, basically a collision of the entire asteroid field (which continuously respawned) with the celestial bodies of the other solar systems. This is the only method I know of that celestial bodies are capable taking damage, and though they are progarmmed to have a large amount of HP, eventually the asteroids were able to take their toll. And since the exploration script is programmed to load EVERY system into the game to avoid random encounters, this effect was repeated for each solar system in game.

... So yeah, I destroyed the universe.

Dater
Elite Warrior
Elite Warrior

Postby Dater » Tue Feb 15, 2011 9:44 am

And the doctor didn't stop you? Was it a great sight? Maybe you should record it with fraps! :)

You know last time I was testing the KA physics. I got closer to a moon by accelerating to quarter impulse then stopping then quarter impulse again until i touched the surface and got destroyed. It just didn't feel right, that I just could get so close without the celestial body having an effect on me.

Would it be possible for the planets and moons to have gravity as the black hole has it? Obviously much less than a black hole of course! ;)

bren C
Warrior
Warrior

Postby bren C » Thu Feb 17, 2011 2:17 pm

Gordon Finlay wrote: there is no inherent scripting command for determining the game's resolution, but the resolution can be read from a file in the KA directory (this, of course, depends entirely on the user inputting the correct resolution into the file, on pain of crashing).

Gordon, great work, just about to start testing. I have a suggestion about obtaining the game resolution. The d3dEmu.log file in the root directory of my
KA seems to be written just prior to the game starting, and it contains a reference to the resolution. Could your script search that file and use the resolution therein?

I think the d3dEmu.log file may be created by the new patches by Komat, but since the vast majority of people are using it, you could check for it, and if it's there, get the resolution from it.

Also, I second the feature request of light gravity on stars and planets, radius and mass dependent.
homer simpson: bab 5 eh? minibari , hahaha, minibar, mmmmmm, beer.

PreviousNext

Return to Mission Scripting