Galactic Exploration - Work In Progress

teeth_03
Order of Kahless
Order of Kahless

Postby teeth_03 » Wed Jun 22, 2005 8:46 pm

you will become the GOD of GSA if you make this script with everything you have planned actually in it.

hopefully if RacerX gets his 1.03 ships balanced correctly,maybe you could add on to your script by adding his ship lines in it,if he dosent mind. I believe you 2 together could make KA 1000 times better than stock.

But anyway,DONT QUIT YOU FOOL...or i will hunt you down and give you the chinese water torture ;)

Gordon Finlay
Elite Warrior
Elite Warrior

Postby Gordon Finlay » Thu Jun 23, 2005 2:19 am

I will elaborate more, but suffice to say that I am so disappointed with the lack of quality of KA modding that I seriously doubt I will EVER include a mod in any of my scripts.

I've been playing some BF2 lately, and I've got some ideas I may impliment later in the script. I'll try working on it some more tonight though. Talk to you later.

RCgothic
Order of Kahless
Order of Kahless

Postby RCgothic » Thu Jun 23, 2005 3:00 am

Battlefield 2? Man that games has some high minimum specs. My comp doesn't make the grade.
RCgothic

saucer_section
Major General
Major General

Postby saucer_section » Sat Jul 09, 2005 5:34 am

Gordon Finlay wrote:Update (June 5th, 3:15 PM):
I added a neat little feature, where the game calculates the vector to your destination star system and makes you ship warp in that direction, instead of just arbitrarily warping off into the sunset like it currently does

Can this be done in single player?

teeth_03
Order of Kahless
Order of Kahless

Postby teeth_03 » Sat Jul 09, 2005 6:49 am

lol...you know you can play MP games with yourself.....right?

saucer_section
Major General
Major General

Postby saucer_section » Sat Jul 09, 2005 6:55 am

I was thinking of quickbattle. I've never played any MP

teeth_03
Order of Kahless
Order of Kahless

Postby teeth_03 » Sat Jul 09, 2005 6:58 am

gordon would have to make a completely new script for that probably

and I'm more worried about MP...cuz MP > SP quickbattle

Gordon Finlay
Elite Warrior
Elite Warrior

Postby Gordon Finlay » Sat Jul 09, 2005 7:01 am

Of course, and I would be happy to share the knowledge with anyone who asks. However, I am for the time-being concentrating entirely on multiplayer scripting. If there will ever be any form of KA revival, it will be based on the multiplayer, not the single-player.

saucer_section
Major General
Major General

Postby saucer_section » Sat Jul 09, 2005 7:15 am

Ok how do you use these sripts? Or install them? Can I use mods while playing MP with myself?

teeth_03
Order of Kahless
Order of Kahless

Postby teeth_03 » Sat Jul 09, 2005 7:24 am

post #3 of this topic might help

saucer_section
Major General
Major General

Postby saucer_section » Wed Jul 13, 2005 5:18 pm

I guess the question i should have asked is what folder do I put these scripts in so I can try them out? I put them in the scripts folder and nothing seems to happen. Post #3 doesn't tell me how to install them. Any help?

Gordon Finlay
Elite Warrior
Elite Warrior

Postby Gordon Finlay » Wed Jul 13, 2005 7:14 pm

You have to make a folder inside your SCRIPTS folder named "EXPL", and then you put the two files EXPL.INT and EXPLINFO.INT into the SCRIPTS\EXPL\ folder. Then put the NETSCEN.LST file in your KA directory.

teeth_03
Order of Kahless
Order of Kahless

Postby teeth_03 » Sat Jul 16, 2005 10:00 pm

gordon needs to learn that wonderful art of the READ-ME ;)

Gordon Finlay
Elite Warrior
Elite Warrior

Postby Gordon Finlay » Sat Jul 23, 2005 12:45 pm

UPDATE July 23rd, 2005 4:42 AM

Wow. Hard to believe its been over a month and a half since I started this thread. I'm pleased to report that I've recovered from nearly everything lost in the HD crash, and not only that but I'm nearly finished with the script.

The Warp GUI is for the most part in-place. For now I believe the only 'features' remaining to be implimented on it are the Display of Other Vessels, Intercept Courses with Other Vessels, Warp-Speed/Deep-Space Battles, Warping to Locations Obtained Through Subspace Communications, Subspace Comm controls, finishing and debugging the in-system controls of Subspace Comms, and anything else I think of on the way.

The ART is the biggest thing I need now... I'm going to have to find my old copy of Lightwave so I can design the 3D grip map (though I'm considering if I want to just make it a 2D map showing the Z-axis of the current sector). If anyone knows any artists who can make KA-quality images, please direct them to me.

I appreciate all criticism, and thank you all for your support. I look forward to the day (not too far off) when this script is complete and I may take it and move on to the next project in KA Multiplayer. :D

Now, for some screenshots. All of these were taken within the same Warp Trap.

The ship is en route to Qo'NoS...

I've moved the cursor to the Isip system.

And you can see that after I hit the button, the ship changed course towards Isip.

Hope you enjoy.

teeth_03
Order of Kahless
Order of Kahless

Postby teeth_03 » Sat Jul 23, 2005 4:48 pm

so there will be 3 corrds shown? 1 for present system,1 for destination and 1 for making a selection for changing course,kinda like how your Slot Console works when sending and recieving coords?

Another thing....did u try using some of the stock HUD and screen GFX to see if u could just use those?

Gordon Finlay
Elite Warrior
Elite Warrior

Postby Gordon Finlay » Sun Jul 24, 2005 7:08 am

Yes, one for your current location, one for your destination, and one for the system that the 'cursor' is hovering over. They will also show if its a system, or if its deep space.

As for the gfx, I haven't messed with them yet, to be honest. I'm hoping someone will step up to the plate and help me out with that, but so far there haven't been any takers. I'm not releasing the script until its finished though, and while I still have some programming left to do I'd like to get the gfx out of the way asap.

Gordon Finlay
Elite Warrior
Elite Warrior

Postby Gordon Finlay » Tue Jul 26, 2005 1:52 am

UPDATE July 25th, 2005 5:39 PM

I've been working nearly non-stop on the script since my last update, and have made significant progress. The biggest thing you'll notice is that the script now shows the location of other players while in the warp-trap. Furthermore, you can select other player's ships while at warp and either warp to their current location, or turn on the "Auto-Intercept" which automatically matches your destination to theirs (plotting an intercept course).

First on today's agenda is the relatively simple task of making it so you can also select and warp-to the coordinates that are stored in the Warp Computer (see: first posts). Next is the not-quite-as-simple task of making it so that you update the coordinates in your computer based on proximity to a ship, and then letting you transmit those coords to other ships while in the warp trap.

Beyond that, it becomes a little more unclear. I will need to redo a lot of the original procedures (namely the ones involving out-system warp transmissions), and I believe that I can add the ability to warp to Deep Space using coordinates. I COULD toggle on the option that you can warp to Deep Space using the Helm screen, but it would not automatically take you there, but just transport you out of the system (you would need to plot course yourself to get there).

After the rest of the script is in working order, then I will begin the arduous and exciting task of making the Warp-Speed/Deep-Space Battle code. I'm still shaky on whether the whole thing will be worth doing, as there are some unavoidable 'nuances' about it that would detract from the professional look of the rest of the script. For example, while in the Warp-Battle you would be 'moving' across the sector map according to an on-screen display, but if you went to the Helm Map, you would notice that your position is actually remaining constant in a dedicated system of space.

And this time, rather than giving you screenshots, I've uploaded the latest working copy of the script to the server, so feel free to try it out and see for yourself: http://gordonf.rscfleet.net/KA/explore.zip

Just download the archive and unzip it into your KA directory and you should be good to go.

61-CENTURION
Warrior Recruit
Warrior Recruit

Postby 61-CENTURION » Thu Dec 01, 2005 9:20 pm

The mod sounds great but unfortunally i got this:
some error message wrote:Not Found
The requested URL /KA/explore.zip was not found on this server.

Additionally, a 404 Not Found error was encountered while trying to use an ErrorDocument to handle the request.
Apache/1.3.33 Server at gordonf.rscfleet.net Port 80

Gordon Finlay
Elite Warrior
Elite Warrior

Postby Gordon Finlay » Thu Dec 01, 2005 9:32 pm

I didn't think anyone would still be interested in it. When I get home today, I'll see whats up with the server and re-upload if necessary.

To be honest, I've been sucked into the EVE universe, as it has a lot of the strategic elements I was hoping to impliment in KA. If theres still a convincable number of people wanting this script finished, I could always dig up the sources and try to work on it some more, but I don't think theres many people left here that actually play KA multiplayer, are there? :/

teeth_03
Order of Kahless
Order of Kahless

Postby teeth_03 » Fri Dec 02, 2005 1:45 am

its my belief if you finish your script and add all that stuff you say your going to,that right there would get more ppl playing ;)

..if you dont finish it,I'll will find where you live...staulk you 24/7,and when you least expect it,I'll...I'll...I'll squirt a can of cheese wiz on your head and call you Cheese Head...you dont wanna be called Cheeze Head do you?

PreviousNext

Return to Mission Scripting