Galactic Exploration - Work In Progress

Gordon Finlay
Elite Warrior
Elite Warrior

Postby Gordon Finlay » Thu Feb 17, 2011 6:22 pm

That's a good suggestion; the only issue would be that the d3demu.log grows in size (and very quickly). It would take a long time to find the correct value from the file, whereas a separate .ini file would have a much faster time. It would rely on the player updating, but I think we can safely say anybody who's smart enough to play this game is smart enough to edit a text file without jacking things up. :)

The gravity idea is interesting, but beyond the scope of the script (I kinda threw it in as an aside here, whereas I really should have put it in the other thread). But since it's been brought up, I think we've toyed with gravity for celestial bodies before, and the only trouble is that it causes some funny math to happen which also happens to make your weapons accuracy a bit dicey. The "hand-waving theory" if you prefer can be that your ship's engines are strong enough to compensate for gravity of all but the largest celestial objects (i.e.: black holes). Look for a separate thread sometime soon talking about 'crazy terrain ideas', because I do have some other cool ideas I'd love to throw out and try.

Dater
Elite Warrior
Elite Warrior

Postby Dater » Thu Feb 17, 2011 10:43 pm

Gordon Finlay wrote:...whereas a separate .ini file would have a much faster time. It would rely on the player updating, but I think we can safely say anybody who's smart enough to play this game is smart enough to edit a text file without jacking things up. :)

I sure hope so! Hey, I even hexed the ka.exe before KOMAT released the patcher for it! ;)
Dater: "Yeah, Teeth. Thanks for pushing me into a black hole!"

Dater
Elite Warrior
Elite Warrior

Postby Dater » Sat Feb 19, 2011 7:24 pm

hey Gordon, I am on now (about one hour after your "hello" on skype)
I connected my headset so we can talk. Also printed out the US keyboard layout so I know which button to push... I'll be in KA and play around a little...
see you there...

My IP is 87.123.209.107 in case you want to join my game...

see you there!

Dater
Elite Warrior
Elite Warrior

Postby Dater » Sat Feb 19, 2011 8:06 pm

after defeating 4 freighters in a glorious battle I will test the warp between systems now and check whether the key "5" will be working or not...

Dater
Elite Warrior
Elite Warrior

Postby Dater » Sat Feb 19, 2011 8:20 pm

After exiting from warp speed on the way to Qo'nos the ship still was moving at 6000kps! Needless to say I entered the sun's corona within seconds and took some serious hull damage because of the friction and heat.

Sadly the key "5" didn't work again after the warp was completed. So I couldn't issue an medical emergency command or a full stop for example... This is a very serious bug and has to be fixed.

Here is a video of the test:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=izKbVhkDxIc

Dater
Elite Warrior
Elite Warrior

Postby Dater » Sat Feb 19, 2011 10:53 pm

I am still online. If anyone wants to join me ;)

bren C
Warrior
Warrior

Postby bren C » Sun Feb 20, 2011 4:43 am

same thing happened to me, came screaming out of warp and coasted into the atmosphere of a gas giant, got ripped apart by atmospheric friction.

I think it has something to do with the warp out camera, as it happens when using the VOS 3-5 flyby cam that suddenly appeared (was that your work? Excellent! Just tweak it so the camera starts out further ahead of the ship proportional to ship speed)

TBH, I love coasting glitches, even when they kill me. I'd love a VOS command or something to "Collapse the warp field" during in-system warps. I used to use the glitch in the old SP demo to coast into neighbouring sectors! :D

As regards gravity, perhaps you could make it only affect ships with no power to the engines, something similar to the "Compensate with thrusters" mode in the GravityFX mod for Bridge Commander, if you're familiar with that.

It'd be supremely satisfying to watch the burning hulk of a downed enemy slide slowly into the atmosphere of a nearby gas giant, or colapse the warp field and slingshot around a star (and travel back in time, lol) or black hole.
homer simpson: bab 5 eh? minibari , hahaha, minibar, mmmmmm, beer.

Gordon Finlay
Elite Warrior
Elite Warrior

Postby Gordon Finlay » Sun Feb 20, 2011 7:48 pm

Thanks for the feedback. My guess at this point is that maybe the camera-switching is happening too soon (before your ship has a chance to finish the warp). I'll play around with different values; obviously, the limit on going too far the other way is how long your ship will be a sitting duck at its destination before you're back in command.

Dater, I don't know what to say about the '5' key glitch. It's been working fine for me, BUT I've also not been experiencing the coasting glitch. I'm going to put a lot more debugging lines in the next revision (hope to put it out later today), so after that please do me a favor and:

Delete the d3demu.log file from your KA directory.
Run KA with the logging turned on (see KOMAT's webpage for the how-to)
As soon as you replicate the error described above, exit the game normally.
Send me the log file to gordie_f at hotmail dot com.

That way I'll be able to get a better grasp of what's going on in the background that's causing this.

Dater
Elite Warrior
Elite Warrior

Postby Dater » Mon Feb 21, 2011 1:07 am

Affirmative. Waiting for your new revision.

Gordon Finlay
Elite Warrior
Elite Warrior

Postby Gordon Finlay » Mon Feb 21, 2011 3:41 am

So call me an idiot, it appears I've uploaded the wrong daggone version. The reason your issues sounded familiar is because they were issues before AND I fixed them. In fact, the code was better-- it waits until the ship reaches zero speed before returning control (kinda makes sense). And your other issue is solved too, with the 5 key.

The extra debugging is in there too, so please shoot me logfiles when you get crashes you suspect are related to the script.

http://hotfile.com/dl/106407344/7d1db1d/explore02.rar.html

In response to feedback, I also doubled the warp speed during the warp-traps. Also, I'm officially putting out a travel advisory for the Qo'NoS system-- current flight paths into the area will take you through the edge of a gas giant and your ship may (will) be damaged. We'll need to define custom warp-in coordinates at some point in the future to fix this.

Please let me know if this doesn't fix the issue with the '5' key. Also, you'll notice I included a revision note in the info-screen (where you select your ship). If you don't see this, you're not running the right version of the script!

bren C
Warrior
Warrior

Postby bren C » Mon Feb 21, 2011 3:45 am

*Gleeful bounce*
homer simpson: bab 5 eh? minibari , hahaha, minibar, mmmmmm, beer.

Gordon Finlay
Elite Warrior
Elite Warrior

Postby Gordon Finlay » Mon Feb 21, 2011 5:44 am

Hey Dater,

I'm still working on the custom keyboard file, but in the meantime, give this a try:

Galactic Exploration Script - German Version
http://hotfile.com/dl/106420919/4b2ec02/explore02g.rar.html

I did some research and found the keycodes that should correspond to the same location on a German keyboard as the ones I've listed before.

HUD Keys:
The two keys to the right of M should decrement and increment the selected player, and the key to the right of them should show the currently selected players.
Shift+1...4 should now be your working command keys at the HUD.

Warp GUI Keys:
The only difference was with the speed adjustment: The two keys to the right of P on your keyboard should now show decrement and increment your warpspeed, and the key to the left of enter (on the same row as L) should toggle a warp intercept.

Let me know if this works! (I can't test it, so if it explodes, please use the English version and let me know about it.)

Dater
Elite Warrior
Elite Warrior

Postby Dater » Mon Feb 21, 2011 6:49 pm

Haha! I just wanted to show Galactic Exploration to my father when something really funny happened:

I wanted to demonstrate that you could warp to another system. The view changed to the external fly-by camera... my warp drives were charging up... and.... a Klingon D7 engaged his tractor beam on me, so my constitution class couldn't accelerate to warp speed. Furthermore the external camera didn't disengage, so I basically had to watch the next 2 and half minutes how the D7 tore me apart. :)

That was fun! And I am not sure if you can catch this case inside your script either... that's just so unlikely (for a computer player). But will really good to know when humans play against each other haha.

I will try the script out (english and german) tonight. Thanks for your effort Gordon!

Gordon Finlay
Elite Warrior
Elite Warrior

Postby Gordon Finlay » Mon Feb 21, 2011 6:55 pm

Hmm. Well, the 'easy' fix is to make your ship untractorable when it's going to warp. The "right" fix will be to add an additional check to make sure the ship made it to warp (a handler for a failed warp), to put you back in command. I'll think about it.

Dater
Elite Warrior
Elite Warrior

Postby Dater » Tue Feb 22, 2011 12:39 pm

I prefer the second method if possible! I even didn't know you could stop someone from warping with the tractor beam... that's something I will put to use! ;)

Dater
Elite Warrior
Elite Warrior

Postby Dater » Wed Feb 23, 2011 1:05 am

OK I tested some more. While in warp I was able to slow down to warp 0, but still stayed at the warp trap screen. I guess you should exit that screen and "enter" the system of the current position when warp factor is equal to 0.

Also, I got some crashes today when I played against myself. I tried to shoot at a vessel while its warp engines were charging up. I will try to provoce that error again and send you the log file if it didn't happen by coincidence...

I also noticed my helm officier never is able to pinpoint the destination of an enemies warp route. What are the rules for that? Do I have to be within a certain range or something?

Furthermore I noticed that it's possible to warp to one owns "current position" by selecting the own player slot. This will result in a very small warp jump of a few hundred meters...

The buttons work well now. I just have to remember to use the right shift for the hotkeys! ;) But is it possible to use the arrow keys for the warp trap screen? My notebook doesn't have a num pad for the 5 key you could use enter perhaps? space can be left untouched...

nashman
Warrior Recruit
Warrior Recruit

Postby nashman » Fri Feb 25, 2011 8:44 pm

Hey Gordon,

is there a way to play your script with mod-ships?

Dater
Elite Warrior
Elite Warrior

Postby Dater » Tue Mar 01, 2011 12:20 pm

Sorry, I can't tell...

Yesterday I had a friend over who claims to be a Star Trek fan... well this was kind disappointing... he confused phasers with lasers and just didn't get it that if you push the up arrow you will fly down and if vice versa... very dissatisfactory...

Eradicator
Warrior Recruit
Warrior Recruit

Postby Eradicator » Fri Mar 04, 2011 8:49 am

[quote="Dater"]I prefer the second method if possible! I even didn't know you could stop someone from warping with the tractor beam... that's something I will put to use! ]
It's true. Equally fun is catching an enemy ship in a tractor beam right before you warp towards a planet or Sun. Just as you're about to drop out of warp, release the tractor, and watch as the enemy ship maintains warp and crashes into the celestial body. I prefer using gas giants as it allows for a slight possibility for the enemy ship to survive.

PS. The ability to tractor during an in system warp was disabled in later patches. I always thought that this was a dumb move. It's fun to have the ability to destroy an Accuser with nothing more than an Oberth, and some clever piloting skills.

Vuikie
Warrior Recruit
Warrior Recruit

Postby Vuikie » Fri Mar 04, 2011 8:34 pm

Hmmm I must be doing something wrong. The script doesn't seem to work for me.

I've put the script in the scripts folder, but it won't show up. Is it a qbattle script or a MP script?
Cry whoe, destruction, ruin and decay. And worst of it is death... and death will have it's day.

PreviousNext

Return to Mission Scripting