Dumb question

Terran_Defense
Elite Commando
Elite Commando

Dumb question

Postby Terran_Defense » Thu Mar 10, 2005 4:17 pm

I was wondering if a mission script could trigger a DOS batch file to overwrite the *shp file with a replacement *shp. One with better shields or better weapons. I thought all the textures would remain cached and the *shp files would be swapped out. I wrote a DOS batch file to overwrite all my fonts in my font directory with my caligraphy fonts so I can work on graphics. When I'm done I run another batch which removes them and puts back the origionals so I can get a true picture of my MS supported fonts. I see alot of potential in that if the game can detect the new shp file (assuming you can trigger a DOS batch file. I know you can upgrade to a different ship as you advance in a series of missions..
I told you it was a dumb question.

I thought it would be cool to get your ship upgraded during a mission.
Ut sementem feceris ita metes
You Reap What You Sow

http://www.kadownloads.com/
[email="wedge@kadownloads.com"]Email[/email] me your ship mods, missions, objects, anything related to KA in any size and I'll post them [color=yellowgreen]FREE in my online-file database. You can create shortcut links directly to these so you can make them available elsewhere. (Non-commercial website, all are welcome!) [/color]

Uwe
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Postby Uwe » Sun Mar 13, 2005 12:11 am

As far as I know the only thing you can do in a script is to spawn another script. It seems not to be possible to launch and .exe or a .bat. :(

Uwe

Gordon Finlay
Elite Warrior
Elite Warrior

Postby Gordon Finlay » Thu Jun 02, 2005 8:08 pm

Now its not possible to do this from WITHIN Klingon Academy, but it IS theoretically possible to do it externally. The idea would be to have a sentient program running that actively polls an intermediate file and executes the commands therein (then deletes it or clears it). All the KA script would need to do would be to write to the file. Its relatively slow and cumbersome but it would work.

Uwe
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Postby Uwe » Fri Jun 03, 2005 6:03 pm

Yes, running a background task monitoring a comand file created by a KA script might work. The only thing that has to be explored is if such a comand file is accessible by other tasks while KA uses it. It might be protected. I can try to find out.

Uwe

Return to Mission Scripting