idea: Armada-style click+control gameplay?

Gareth
Major
Major

idea: Armada-style click+control gameplay?

Postby Gareth » Tue Aug 03, 2004 7:41 pm

As long as you know what I mean by that, you'll realise how much this could REALLY be useful (especially during Borg battles!)

OK, I have to be completely honest about this. I haven't played KA in months and months now, and I don't know much about how far you've progressed scripting-wise - for all I know, this could be OLD-hat! right, now we've got that sorted. Image

One thing about it, is this style of gameplay WILL change the way the game operates, but it'll be an interesting twist you could try out (if it's possible)! Just think what fast-paced ship changing would do to the game. You could choose to be a different ship any time, any place the other ship's at!

I think I'll let you work out the advantages and disadvantages this would create - to get your minds thinking of other techniques, and to start thinking 'outside the box' Image
Borg Queen: "we bring chaos... into order"

Seven: "comforting words, use them next time instead of 'resistance is futile', you may enlicit a few volunteers"

KAAF-VeNoM-Cmdo
Order of Kahless
Order of Kahless

Postby KAAF-VeNoM-Cmdo » Tue Aug 03, 2004 8:17 pm

I dont think that would be possible.

Kt'Hyla
Order of Kahless
Order of Kahless

Postby Kt'Hyla » Tue Aug 03, 2004 10:44 pm

I think that level of control would be part of the ka.exe, of which we still don't have the source code for, and the likelyhood of TPTB releasing that becomes more and more remote as time goes on...

It would be a cool way to control the ship, although if I remember correctly Armada was on a 2D playing field, so something extra would have to be done in regards to KA's 3D setup.

One thing to check into is QB2 and ModifiedQB (check the FAQ link in my sig, there's two questions providing links to both). The things our scripting wizards have been able to get out of the game are next to astounding...

KA.com Modding FAQ.......KA.com Modding Tutorials

"They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety." -Benjamin Franklin

Uwe
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Postby Uwe » Wed Aug 04, 2004 10:22 am

I never played Armada, so I don't know exactly what you are referring to. What is possible in KA is to realize a quick ship change, even on a single button. In QB2 and ModifiedQB ship change is realized, but in a more "realistic" way, this means you have to be in range of your target ship to be able to transfer. But this is just a scripting issue and can be removed easily.

Uwe

Joshmaul
Order of Kahless
Order of Kahless

Postby Joshmaul » Thu Aug 05, 2004 12:38 am

Armada is more where you personally control an entire fleet instead of one ship. It's not even realistically possible to put that in KA....

-Joshmaul

Gareth
Major
Major

Postby Gareth » Thu Aug 05, 2004 5:32 pm

oh well, I tried :)

Seven: "comforting words, use them next time instead of 'resistance is futile', you may enlicit a few volunteers"

KAAF-VeNoM-Cmdo
Order of Kahless
Order of Kahless

Postby KAAF-VeNoM-Cmdo » Thu Aug 05, 2004 10:02 pm

I wouldnt use it if it was possible, I perfer the Keyboard over the mouse, and I dont like the over head view

Gareth
Major
Major

Postby Gareth » Fri Aug 06, 2004 5:21 pm

I wasn't suggesting it to be an overhead view! All I was suggesting, that you could be able to switch ships as fast as you can on Armada!

what I meant, is, it's as in just point at a ship, and you'll be comtrolling that ship - perhaps no matter how far away it is, as long as it's on screen.

Gordon Finlay
Elite Warrior
Elite Warrior

Postby Gordon Finlay » Thu Jun 02, 2005 8:10 pm

This is an intriguing idea. Switching ships is relatively painless, and we do have the ability to make our own GUI interfaces within the scripts. Its worth considering, possibly as a form of 'Fleet Commander' script.

Return to Mission Scripting