Need tools for scripting.

IKC-Phoenix
Warrior Recruit
Warrior Recruit

Need tools for scripting.

Postby IKC-Phoenix » Fri Jun 02, 2017 7:55 am

Does anyone happen to have working links to the borland compiler or the visual C compiler? Basically any compiler that will work for KA scripts. I have source code but I just need to get it compiled so I can test it. Any help would be awesome.

Thanks!

IKC-Phoenix
Warrior Recruit
Warrior Recruit

Re: Need tools for scripting.

Postby IKC-Phoenix » Fri Jun 02, 2017 8:49 am

Quick update, I have the compiler and everything. I was able to compile a script, however I cannot compile multi file scripts. I can only compile source that is all contained in one file. I apparently need a preprocessor? Something like watcom? Any ideas?

LeDaniel
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Postby LeDaniel » Tue Jun 06, 2017 10:40 am

Try to ask DBF68, or el_flash or Teeth_03, they are masters of KA.

I make QB random encounters mod for two years, than i understund what and how...

teeth_03
Order of Kahless
Order of Kahless

Postby teeth_03 » Tue Jun 06, 2017 10:35 pm

No one who knew anything about scripting are still around.

DBF68
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Postby DBF68 » Mon Jul 10, 2017 3:25 pm

IKC-Phoenix wrote:Quick update, I have the compiler and everything. I was able to compile a script, however I cannot compile multi file scripts. I can only compile source that is all contained in one file. I apparently need a preprocessor? Something like watcom? Any ideas?

If you haven't been there yet, try Brian Moler's (RHCD) KA/BC website for KA scripting tools and tutorials. His first tutorial gives you all the initial setup info you need. Also, I think the KA Scripting Package already has the watcom program in it.

Klingon Academy Downloads

http://www.brianmoler.com/downloads/ind ... ds&order=0

It's been nearly 2 years this coming October since I fooled around with learning any scripting from the tutorials. There might be some things that are wrong or don't apply anymore in the tutorials, but it's nothing big or that you can't figure out either. My big desire was to see if there was some way to get an external camera "follow target" view of your target ship with your ship also in view during battles similar to what Bridge Commander had, because that would have lifted KA to a higher level of better game play. Unfortunately, I hit a wall after looking through what seemed like a promising possibility because components to a tool/utility/whatever seemed incomplete and not documented well.

If you're not already using it, download and install Notepad++. It's very helpful in seeing and finding scripting syntax. It's also better as a simple tool vs the version of MS Visual Studio 2015 I downloaded, but that was another learning curve headache I wasn't interested in investing the time. Even though VS2015 came off as using an elephant gun to kill a mouse, a previous master scripter named Uwe (I think) used a version of VS ten or so years ago to make KA scripts, but then he might have been a programmer by trade.

Good luck, because it is a PITA at times. ;)

Previous experience: What are .ssi and .ssl files & the significant differences?
viewtopic.php?f=8&t=33688
Warning, we have entered Neutral Zone, Warning.....

Return to Mission Scripting