Teeth's Ship Refit Utility

teeth_03
Order of Kahless
Order of Kahless

Teeth's Ship Refit Utility

Postby teeth_03 » Mon Aug 01, 2016 12:36 pm

***Teeth's Ship Refit Utility***

This command line utility lets you swap out the weapons on the stock Klingon Academy ships, and as of this writing, just the Klingon ships. I wanted to be able to play the single player campaign with a truly "unique" ship, so I made copies of all the playable Klingon ships, and made this utility so I could easily switch out the weapons. This means only your ship is the one with the Refits. You can tab out of the game at the main menu and refit your ships without restarting.

**Installation**

1. Copy the Refit, Scripts and Ships folder to your KA install

2. Add the following to your QBSHIPS.txt:

K Sword of Kahless BBR = KBBC IKS qeylIS betleH R
K Accuser DNR = KDNC IKS pumwI' Refit
K Emperor BCHR = KBCC IKS voDleH Refit
K Warrior's Anger CCR = KCCC IKS SuvwI' QeH Refit
K K'T'inga CAR = KCAC K'T'inga D7 Refit
K Relentless CLR = KCLC IKS qa'HoS Refit
K Insurrection DDR = KDDC IKS QuD Refit
K Suspicious FFBR = KFBC IKS pIH Refit
K B'rel Class ECR = KECC Bird Of Prey Refit

3. In the refit folder, you will see a path.txt. You will need to put the exact path of your KA install in there, without quotes.

4. Make a shortcut to Refit.bat somewhere you can get to it. This is the launcher for the refit tool

**Usage**

Run Refit.bat and follow the on screen prompts. To select an option, type in the single digit number and hit enter. Typing 99 and Enter at the menu will exit. You can leave this running out tab out of the Main Menu of the game to refit as well.

**Refit Info**

When you go to refit a ship, it deletes the .shp file and restores from a stock one. This was required so I knew what lines would be there to replace.

You can choose between 2 presets that gives the ships more speed at the cost of hull hit points, and vice versa (25% +/-). I also decided to introduce some race tech sharing, so I gave all the Gorn weapons as options. So you can choose to swap out the Disruptors with Phasers if you like, along with the following weapons:

Secondary/Heavy

1. Photon Torps
2. Hvy Photon Torps
3. Hvy Disruptor
4. FMPA
5. Gorn Plasma

Advanced (For Ships that have one, the KBCH is an exception since it only has 1 secondary hardpoint, I was able to use Advanced weapons on it)

6. GHRC (Tractor Weapon)
7. AMFP (Big round orange weapon)
8. GDDS (Purple ramming sphere)
9. Assault Phaser (only on KDN and KBB)

For ships have both Secondary and Heavy weapons, I typically would give options 1,2 and 5 to Secondary and 3 and 4 to Heavy. The KBCH is another exception.

*Keep in mind that some weapons use more power, and I did not give the ships more power on purpose, so you will need to be keen on managing power*

I have included Brian Molder's configurable campaign and set it up to use the new ships. Unlike his orignal idea however, I rename these to overwrite the default scripts so you don't need to go messing with the mission script files or anything. The missions should be using the same ships you would be playing if you were playing the stock version, but now you have the ability to tweak your ship.

The backbone of this Utility is a 3rd party command line tool called fnr.exe (Find and Replace), which I utilize to, well you guessed it, to find and replace lines in the ship files.

**Future Versions**

I might be willing to add refit options to the other races if there is enough interest, but for now I plan on just stopping at the Klingons for the Campaign. However, I did have plans to further the race tech sharing as follows:

Klingon <======> Gorn
Federation <===> Shakurian
Romulan <======> Tholian

I tremble at the though of Romulan ships with Plasma torpedos and Tholian webs (which might not happen anyway due to lack of Advanced hard points).

**Credits**

Paramount/CBS for Star Trek
Interplay for Klingon Academy
Brian Moler for Configurable Campaign
fnr.exe - https://findandreplace.codeplex.com/

http://goodolgaming.com/downloads/index.php?dir=ka/RefitMod/&file=TeethsRefitMod.zip

teeth_03
Order of Kahless
Order of Kahless

Re: Teeth's Ship Refit Utility

Postby teeth_03 » Tue Aug 02, 2016 12:56 pm

The list of playable ships in the 25 campaign missions:

1-3: KECC Bird Of Prey Refit
4: KFBC IKS pIH Refit
5: KECX Bird Of Prey (Fire While Cloaked BoP, I didn't do a Refit option for this since you don't fight in it much)
6-9: KCLC IKS qa'HoS Refit
10-11: KCAC K'T'inga D7 Refit
12: KECX Bird Of Prey
13: KCAC K'T'inga D7 Refit
14-16: KDDC IKS QuD Refit
17-18: KCCC IKS SuvwI' QeH Refit
19-21: KBCC IKS voDleH Refit
22-25: KDNC IKS pumwI' Refit

KAAF Paladin
Order of Kahless
Order of Kahless

Postby KAAF Paladin » Tue Aug 02, 2016 1:48 pm

Well look at you, doing modding stuff now. This is an interesting idea; it would open up a lot of options for new ways to play.

Good job, Teeth. Trying your best to keep this game alive, I see.
I'm somewhere without my pants.

I also have a Youtube channel.It's right here!

teeth_03
Order of Kahless
Order of Kahless

Postby teeth_03 » Tue Aug 02, 2016 10:39 pm

So far I have only played the first mission, I made a BoP with a Hvy Disruptor and made it a little easier.

It's hard to get Photons to make contact, but the Hvy Disruptor seems to be a bit more accurate, albeit a weaker weapon. It also uses less power so I had more power for shields.

Next mission, I might try a Gorn Refit, Phasers and Plasma, then finish up the 3rd BoP mission with a Hvy Photon.

Hell, I made this more for me than anything. I just like having a ship I can tweak.

el_flesh
Warrior
Warrior

Postby el_flesh » Thu Aug 04, 2016 1:54 am

Would be great if we could refit the ENTIRE SHIP!
Then we could play as whatever race we wanted - play the game again as feds/roms/gorn/tholian....

Darth Raven
Order of Kahless
Order of Kahless

Postby Darth Raven » Thu Aug 04, 2016 6:31 am

There actually is a mod called "Configurable Campaign" that let's you select ANY ship (including mods) for Single Player mode. Kinda fun taking the Defiant through the story mode.
( [email="raven808" [@] gmail [.] com] | My Klingon Academy Mods )

teeth_03
Order of Kahless
Order of Kahless

Postby teeth_03 » Thu Aug 04, 2016 12:00 pm

I included it in this. I just have it using the same ship, just the Refit version, for authenticity.

There's a scripts/playership.txt file with 25 qbships lines you can edit.

What else would you like to be able to edit?

teeth_03
Order of Kahless
Order of Kahless

Postby teeth_03 » Fri Aug 05, 2016 1:57 am

A thought I had:

If there was interest, I could add in Refit options for the other 5 races, but I would give every ship a cloaking device so you could theoretically play any mission with any ship.

Then what I could do is make a playership.txt for all 6 races and give the Refit script the option to switch between them. I would approximate the ship sizes to what the default missions have you play as.

But I don't have any plans to keep working on it unless a few people show any interest in it. I primarily wanted just to Refit the Klingon ships for the Campaign.

LeDaniel
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Postby LeDaniel » Sun Sep 11, 2016 9:07 pm

Sounds like very interesting modification ;)

Thanks to Teeth, i will try it and give feedback .

Return to Modding (Ships, Sound, Systems & UI)