Lots of old mods and fix for next gen PC's here!!!!!

jogan
Warrior Recruit
Warrior Recruit

Lots of old mods and fix for next gen PC's here!!!!!

Postby jogan » Sun Nov 09, 2014 9:50 pm

Hi all,

It's been a long time for me. didn't know that Klingonacademy.com was still up.
I see that everyone is looking for some mods, so I'll put a link here for you to download.
Not sure from who they all are, but i'm sure you could put your name here for credit.

Link: https://drive.google.com/file/d/0ByzaPu ... sp=sharing

Have fun.

Jogan

LeDaniel
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Re: Lots of old mods and fix for next gen PC's here!!!!!

Postby LeDaniel » Sun Nov 09, 2014 10:20 pm

Hi and welcome back:-) !
I´m downloading and curious for your mods.

DBF68
Commander
Commander

Postby DBF68 » Thu Nov 27, 2014 12:52 am

Cool. Thanks. That's a good idea to use the free storage that's available nowadays to make these mods available. I've got to do the same.
Warning, we have entered Neutral Zone, Warning.....

Darth Raven
Order of Kahless
Order of Kahless

Postby Darth Raven » Sun Sep 06, 2015 1:49 am

I'd totally sticky this, mainly because it has the fixes for KA on modern systems; making KA playable again.

Nice work m8!
( [email="raven808" [@] gmail [.] com] | My Klingon Academy Mods )

DBF68
Commander
Commander

Postby DBF68 » Sun Sep 06, 2015 9:20 am

One of the things I'm doing, and would like to see more people do, is using Install Creator 2 to package up mods to get away from the "drag and drop / copy and paste" business of installing mod folders and files.

http://www.clickteam.com/install-creator-2

Another similar program is Excelsior Installer that I've tried and thought was good too.

http://installer.excelsior-usa.com/en/

It's been awhile since I've tried and compared the two programs, but for whatever reason, I've stuck with Install Creator 2 primarily because it allows me to include small ship related and race insignia pics in the dialog boxes.

The one drawback about these programs is that I don't think they tell you when you're about to overwrite a file that already exists in a mod folder.

At the moment, I've got to upload the IC2 version of my revised version of Moonraker's TMP IKV Amar.

PES Revised TOS USS Enterprise 1701 2.x

PES Revised TMP USS Enterprise 1701 2.1

Moonraker's Revised TMP IKV Amar 2.0

Darth Raven
Order of Kahless
Order of Kahless

Postby Darth Raven » Sun Sep 06, 2015 10:12 am

I always used Install Maker, but a lot of people didn't like it adding the installer to the start menu, made a lot of clutter. I'll try yours lol

jogan
Warrior Recruit
Warrior Recruit

Postby jogan » Sun Sep 06, 2015 11:37 am

Hi all, glad to see I could make a few people smile with this. Sorry the package isn't sorted out. As soon as I have the time I'll try and sort thing out.

Greetings,

Jogan

DBF68
Commander
Commander

Postby DBF68 » Sun Sep 06, 2015 2:36 pm

jogan wrote:Hi all, glad to see I could make a few people smile with this. Sorry the package isn't sorted out. As soon as I have the time I'll try and sort thing out.

Greetings,

Jogan

No problem. It's a lot of work to get these mods set up with an installer if you've got a lot of mods. It'd be a real PITA to try and drag them out of KA 1.03 if you don't know what texture files go with what mod. Granted, you could use LW 5.6's Scene building program to find the textures associated with a polygon, but unless there's an easier way, that be a lot of screen capturing and file hunting.

DBF68
Commander
Commander

Postby DBF68 » Sun Sep 06, 2015 2:38 pm

Darth Raven wrote:I always used Install Maker, but a lot of people didn't like it adding the installer to the start menu, made a lot of clutter. I'll try yours lol

I guess right-click-delete in the Start menu was too advanced a solution. ;)

teeth_03
Order of Kahless
Order of Kahless

Postby teeth_03 » Sun Sep 06, 2015 6:58 pm

The main issue is dealing with list files like qbships.txt

Unless it's a single large mod pack you are installing, players should have the know-how to edit their own lists to suit their tastes (like sorting by race or era)

If they know how to do that, then copying and pasting is trivial.

DBF68
Commander
Commander

Postby DBF68 » Sun Sep 06, 2015 7:31 pm

teeth_03 wrote:The main issue is dealing with list files like qbships.txt

Unless it's a single large mod pack you are installing, players should have the know-how to edit their own lists to suit their tastes (like sorting by race or era)

If they know how to do that, then copying and pasting is trivial.

Yeah, copying and pasting isn't that big of a deal, but I find using an installer is a little more efficient. Also, if something goes awry, like the game doesn't work after installing a mod, uninstalling the mod with the included mod named uninstaller is a lot less work than picking through everything that might be causing KA to crash. I had just that scenario this week due to a Stereo cloaking sound that somehow got incorrectly linked to an acm voice file. After uninstalling the mod, the game worked and the troubleshooting began.

As for the modifying the QBSHIPS file, I always include these directions with the installer program and with the mod info instructions doc:

To prevent overwriting any existing QBSHIPS.txt and QBSYS.txt files in the Klingon Academy directory Scripts folder used for other mods, the QBSHIPS.txt and QBSYS.txt files in this install package have been renamed to:

QBSHIPS - Stock Ships.txt

and

QBSYS - Re-ordered Stock Systems.txt

To use this ship:

1. Open the included F Constitution Refit 1701 = 1701 USS Enterprise.txt file.

2. Copy and paste this ship's reference line into the current QBSHIPS.txt file below the stock ship:

F Constitution CA (Refit) = FCA USS Enterprise

3. Save the current QBSHIPS.txt file.

Darth Raven
Order of Kahless
Order of Kahless

Postby Darth Raven » Sun Sep 06, 2015 9:45 pm

I couldn't get the Screen Resolution patch to work on my copy of KA... I'm thinking I need to re-install KA and try again. I'm tired of looking at crappy looking ships that used to look nice lol.

EDIT: The patcher says the file is already patched, but when I use the KAlauncher.exe, it doesn't give any options for resolution.... at all. So I'm stuck on the default resolution.

DBF68 wrote:I guess right-click-delete in the Start menu was too advanced a solution. ;)

The installers installing the mod to KA as intended, but then installs the installer itself to the system. The installers, for KA's purposes anyways, just add a lot of clutter, and then can't even put the ship lines in to the qbships.txt file anyways... so it all just seemed rather pointless. They have to run the installer, point it to the KA directory path themselves anyway (as the DVD points to "Program Files\KA", but the default for the CD install is "Program Files\14 Degrees East\Klingon Academy", and then manually put the ship's line in the .shp file too... so I gave up on the custom installers after like 3 ships. Unfortunately it's just far easier to manually install ships than use the installers :(.

I did however play with your installer last night, and it seems about as good as the Install Maker I was using anyway. But one gripe with it is, it doesn't matter what "top" bitmap you use on any of the templates, it never changes it on the installer. You can only change the Left Bitmap, not the top.

The Blue circle is where I'm talking about, put whatever pic you want, then hit preview on the top, and you get the preview pop up on the top (Red circle). No top image :( Guess it doesn't matter overall, but thought it was a bit weird.
Last edited by Darth Raven on Sun Sep 06, 2015 10:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.

jogan
Warrior Recruit
Warrior Recruit

Postby jogan » Sun Sep 06, 2015 10:22 pm

Darth Raven wrote:I couldn't get the Screen Resolution patch to work on my copy of KA... I'm thinking I need to re-install KA and try again. I'm tired of looking at crappy looking ships that used to look nice lol.

EDIT: The patcher says the file is already patched, but when I use the KAlauncher.exe, it doesn't give any options for resolution.... at all. So I'm stuck on the default resolution.

Hi Darth Raven,

Did you update to 1.02 and did you install the other patches as well?

Darth Raven
Order of Kahless
Order of Kahless

Postby Darth Raven » Sun Sep 06, 2015 10:24 pm

Yeah, this is on my older install, it's completely up to date. Your other patches worked wonderfully. No more flicker! Much easier to play with now. Would it matter in any way if I unpacked the data.dat file? I love playing with the files in there, and always keep it unpacked.

Edit: The Resolution Patcher does say the patch was installed properly, it just doesn't say anything about resolutions on the KAlauncher when used. So I can't really see any difference between the patched and unpatched versions... I think I really need to re-install KA completely.

Just shows up like:

jogan
Warrior Recruit
Warrior Recruit

Postby jogan » Mon Sep 07, 2015 1:01 am

Darth Raven wrote:Yeah, this is on my older install, it's completely up to date. Your other patches worked wonderfully. No more flicker! Much easier to play with now. Would it matter in any way if I unpacked the data.dat file? I love playing with the files in there, and always keep it unpacked.

Edit: The Resolution Patcher does say the patch was installed properly, it just doesn't say anything about resolutions on the KAlauncher when used. So I can't really see any difference between the patched and unpatched versions... I think I really need to re-install KA completely.

Just shows up like:

Yeah I think you need to reinstall again. You need to put the patches in the games main dir,then install them. Good luck.

jogan
Warrior Recruit
Warrior Recruit

Postby jogan » Mon Sep 07, 2015 1:04 am

Hi all,

I'm currently sorting out all the mods, so all you need to do is copy paste the lot into your KA folder.
It will take some time, but I'll keep you posted.

Darth Raven
Order of Kahless
Order of Kahless

Postby Darth Raven » Mon Sep 07, 2015 1:22 am

Thanks. Will keep trying lol. I need to find my CD's, as the KA DVD install keeps failing at the Font Registration part of the installer. Guess it's a Windows 10 thing or something.

DBF68
Commander
Commander

Postby DBF68 » Mon Sep 07, 2015 5:14 am

Darth Raven wrote:Thanks. Will keep trying lol. I need to find my CD's, as the KA DVD install keeps failing at the Font Registration part of the installer. Guess it's a Windows 10 thing or something.

Check out this troubleshooting info to see if it helps.

Windows 7 & Windows 8 compatibility

viewtopic.php?f=45&t=33550

Start with the 6th post and then proceed to the 7th, because I address what El Flesh was running into when it came to trying to install the game from the non-Safe Mode OS environment. Long story short, the CD installer will not work. So, you have to download and install the DVD kit while in Safe Mode. Afterwards, you have to install all three of Komat's patch files from within the Klingon Academy folder to get everything to work, i.e. Multithreading crash fix, Resolution enabler, and Rendering fix.

http://jiridvorak.webpark.cz/ka/

Then, you've got to setup your OS environment variables to get the great looking visuals:

D3DEMU_NO_CPU_STARFIELD 0
D3DEMU_NO_LOCKABLE_Z .......0
D3DEMU_UI_30FPS.....................0
D3DEMU_KA_LOG.......................0 - Reactivates remnants of the KA internal log and redirects its to wrapper's log.
D3DEMU_LOG_FLUSH................0 - Flushes the log after each output to ensure that it contains all the data if the game crashes for some reason.

Additional Options that need to be entered manually that make a world of difference.

D3DEMU_ANISOTROPY 7 or max
D3DEMU_MSAA_QUALITY 3 or max
D3DEMU_FORCE_BLACK_ALPHA 0

D3DEMU_NO_TIME_REDIRECT 0

See if that procedure works, but don't neglect reading the "Windows 7 & Windows 8 compatibility" thread first.

DBF68
Commander
Commander

Postby DBF68 » Mon Sep 07, 2015 6:25 am

Darth Raven wrote:The installers installing the mod to KA as intended, but then installs the installer itself to the system. The installers, for KA's purposes anyways, just add a lot of clutter, and then can't even put the ship lines in to the qbships.txt file anyways... so it all just seemed rather pointless. They have to run the installer, point it to the KA directory path themselves anyway (as the DVD points to "Program Files\KA", but the default for the CD install is "Program Files\14 Degrees East\Klingon Academy", and then manually put the ship's line in the .shp file too... so I gave up on the custom installers after like 3 ships. Unfortunately it's just far easier to manually install ships than use the installers :(.

I did however play with your installer last night, and it seems about as good as the Install Maker I was using anyway. But one gripe with it is, it doesn't matter what "top" bitmap you use on any of the templates, it never changes it on the installer. You can only change the Left Bitmap, not the top.

The Blue circle is where I'm talking about, put whatever pic you want, then hit preview on the top, and you get the preview pop up on the top (Red circle). No top image :( Guess it doesn't matter overall, but thought it was a bit weird.

I ran into that problem too. So, I stopped using the wizard by disabling it via File>Preferences since it seemed to be a little buggy. Although, while trying to use the wizard again to see if I had the same problem as you did, I tried a workaround that seemed to work consistently, but was still a little buggy. Then, when I closed the program, re-opened it, and tried a new sample build, the wizard worked for adding both the left and top bitmap without any special effort.

IC2 Build bmps

IC2 Build

Yeah, it's not a perfect installer in the traditional sense, but unless you're installing KA 1.03 that has all the work done for you that had to be done manually to get it to function properly, there's going to be a little work per installer mod, which is less to me when you use an installer.

The only place my revised mods install themselves with the installer is in the KA folder, which includes their mod named uninstallers. There's no reference in the Start menu, the Control Panel; which is an option in IC2 you have to deselect; nor in the Programs folders. It's just a no clutter install process.

Still, it's a matter of personal preference and whatever works for you.
Last edited by DBF68 on Mon Sep 07, 2015 6:37 am, edited 1 time in total.

Darth Raven
Order of Kahless
Order of Kahless

Postby Darth Raven » Mon Sep 07, 2015 6:35 am

D3DEMU_NO_CPU_STARFIELD 0
D3DEMU_NO_LOCKABLE_Z .......0
D3DEMU_UI_30FPS.....................0
D3DEMU_KA_LOG.......................0
D3DEMU_LOG_FLUSH................0
D3DEMU_ANISOTROPY 7
D3DEMU_MSAA_QUALITY 3
D3DEMU_FORCE_BLACK_ALPHA 0
D3DEMU_NO_TIME_REDIRECT 0

All that goes into the options.cfg file I'm assuming?

And the install program seems to work pretty well, I used it to make the NGA installer a bit ago. Not bad at all.

Next

Return to Modding (Ships, Sound, Systems & UI)