Indestructible weapons.

DBF68
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Indestructible weapons.

Postby DBF68 » Sat Dec 15, 2012 7:28 am

Here's my random musing post of the day. Maybe it was mentioned eons ago, but if you've ever wondered why an enemy ship weapon like a phaser or disruptor you've targeted can't be destroyed, it's most likely due to the weapon firing start point being inside the ship model. Case in point, I noticed years ago that I couldn't destroy a D7's port aft disruptor. even when the D7 was impulse engine disabled and I could wail on the port aft disruptor area with impunity using phasers.

To test my theory, I loaded up the stock D7 in Light Wave a few months ago. Sure enough, the port aft disruptor firing start point was inside the model. When I used Light Wave to move the firing start and direction points outside of the model, the port aft disruptor was targetable and destructible in the game. So, it's not just you if you've encountered this aggravating issue. It's just another quality assurance problem via lack of in depth game testing.

teeth_03
Order of Kahless
Order of Kahless

Re: Indestructible weapons.

Postby teeth_03 » Sat Dec 15, 2012 12:13 pm

The opposite can be said about some ships that have systems that die too early.

Case in point, the sensors on the Miranda and the photons on the Akula, 2 ships you really cant pick playing multi because of that.

DBF68
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Re: Indestructible weapons.

Postby DBF68 » Tue Dec 25, 2012 5:44 pm

DBF68 wrote:Here's my random musing post of the day. Maybe it was mentioned eons ago, but if you've ever wondered why an enemy ship weapon like a phaser or disruptor you've targeted can't be destroyed, it's most likely due to the weapon firing start point being inside the ship model. Case in point, I noticed years ago that I couldn't destroy a D7's port aft disruptor. even when the D7 was impulse engine disabled and I could wail on the port aft disruptor area with impunity using phasers.

To test my theory, I loaded up the stock D7 in Light Wave a few months ago. Sure enough, the port aft disruptor firing start point was inside the model. When I used Light Wave to move the firing start and direction points outside of the model, the port aft disruptor was targetable and destructible in the game. So, it's not just you if you've encountered this aggravating issue. It's just another quality assurance problem via lack of in depth game testing.

Nevermind, I stand corrected. You can target and destroy "all" of the stock Klingon D7 primary weapons. Maybe my memory is going, I wasn't well acquainted with how things worked, or I wasn't hitting the primary weapon at the right angle with phasers when I was playing the game years ago and theory testing this past July. Regardless of why I thought wrong, I loaded up a stock Klingon D7 in the game and in the Quick Battle Size mod environment. In both instances, I was able to destroy all of the the D7's primary weapons with both the revised TMP and stock TMP Constitution ships.

Addendum: The problem I had all those years ago might have been with Moonraker's D7 mod. I loaded it up in the Quick Battle Size comparison environment, had the subtargeting brackets option selected that I usually never use, and targeted disruptors/primary weapons. Well, the subtargeting brackets for disruptors/primary weapons were primarily clustered around the impulse engine area. I was able to destroy enough disruptors to bring down the enemy readout to 25%, but then the revised TMP Connie phaser fire started to dart all over the ship rather than home in on the last disruptor bank location. So, when I get a chance, I'm going to have to look at Moonraker's D7 SHP file and the model .lwo files in LW modeler to see if I can figure out why things looked so jacked up in the game. Maybe Moonraker created some oddball resource/hull associations for the disruptors/primary weapons. With the phaser fire darting around rather than concentrating on the last operable disruptor bank, "this" Moonraker D7 might have been my problem rather than with the stock D7.

Return to Klingon Academy Modding