Release: PES Revised TMP USS Enterprise 1701 2.1

DBF68
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Release: PES Revised TMP USS Enterprise 1701 2.1

Postby DBF68 » Sat Apr 23, 2011 11:36 am

Download: PES Revised TMP USS Enterprise 1701 2.1 Folders

YouTube Preview: PES Revised TMP USS Enterprise 1701 2.1 Battle Scene 3.0 (34 sec)

USS Enterprise (TMP) vs. K'T'inga D7 (TMP) (Long Preview)

- Day & Night Themes - No glaring white web page background.
                  - Volume Control
                  - Auto HD
                  - Cinema & Backlight
                  - Customize Comments
                  - Video snapshots

Update 6/10/2015: This post, its links, and the mod instructions are still in the process of being updated as time permits. In the meantime, I've uploaded the mod file to Dropbox. You don't need a Dropbox account to download it. Just click on the download link, click on the blue download button, and on the bottom of the account creation window, select the option "No thanks, continue to download" to download the file.

Update 5/23/2015: This post and it's links are in the process of being updated.

Here's a re-work of Kt'Hyla's USS Enterprise from his Phoenix Experimental Shipyards. Below is all the new stuff. Let me know if something isn't working or if you have recommendations to improve something.

What's New in v2.1

• Ship scale has been increased from 4 to 5 to accurately reflect size difference with K’Tinga.

o Stock Constitution scale is 5, but scale was 4 for PES 1701 1.0 & 2.0.
o Stock K'Tinga D7 scale is 4

Klingon Academy Manual

“CONSTITUTION” CLASS CRUISER (REFIT) Length: 305 m
“K’T’INGA” CLASS D7 CRUISER Length: 244 m

• Aligned and Unaligned GUNS files created (Ships\1701\High\Obj\New Guns folders).

o Aligned port and starboard phaser points don’t shoot phaser fire through ship hull.

- Guns2 has dorsal and ventral port and starboard phasers at a 45 (90) degree arc

- No forward dorsal phaser points were added. When forward dorsal phaser points were added, they would fire at the same time as forward ventral phaser points, regardless if the target was not in the forward dorsal detection fire arc zone. Essentially, it looked stupid. So, forward ventral phaser points still fire through the forward dorsal hull areas. Although, with the bridge section blocking the view of the dorsal phaser points while in Chase View, the illusion of having both forward dorsal and ventral phaser firing points is still kept.

o Unaligned phaser points do shoot phaser fire through ship hull.

- Guns2 stock 50 (100) degree arc
- Guns2 stock using 44.666 (89.332) degree arc

• 44.666 degrees eliminates port/forward/starboard target detection firing arc overlap.

o Default Guns – Unaligned Guns2 stock using 44.666 (89.332) degree arc.

• Default torps are seeking using 2.514 for both angular velocity and angular acceleration.

o Additional seeking and non-seeking parameters provided in SHP file.

• Damage control macros have locks on different macro categories.

o Allows only the sliders of a macro category to be adjusted.
o Allows repair priority fine tuning to those sliders in that macro category.
o Keeps other sliders in different macro categories from stealing repair priority.

• Alternate Ship Movement Option - Slower and more deliberate Cruiser class battle action.

• Optional: Why’s Blue TMPPhotonV3 torpedoes.

• Ship and shield have been repositioned to be above the bottom screen menu in chase view.

• Stock Fed TOS ambient bridge sounds replaced with ST2 Kobayashi Maru bridge scene sounds.

o Two sets of sounds have been deleted from the beginning of the sound file since they were acoustically annoying and jarring when the sound file would repeat.

o Putting these files elsewhere in the sound file didn’t result in a better auditory experience.

• Stock Fed phaser sound replaced with edited and synchronized ST2 pulse phaser sound.

o It’s not the harsh, nasty, out of synch with the phaser fire graphic timing sound of old.

o Note: Will replace Fed phaser sounds for all Fed beam phaser ships.

• PES 1701 1.0 phaser graphic replaced with one that is more ST2 movie oriented.

o Several versions are provided to allow for each player’s desired effect and experience.

• Stock photon torpedo graphic made more ST2 & ST3 reddish orange.

o Unless otherwise modded, all standard torp using ships will use this graphic.

o No workaround provided at this time, but one is possible

• Stock photon torpedo .bmp image files reduced in size by 40%.

o Stock photon torpedoes have always been ridiculously huge.

• Stock photon torpedo sound can be replaced with sounds from ST1 or ST3.

o There are two ST3 torpedo sounds available in separate folders.

o Using either of these sounds replaces the sound for all standard photon torpedo using ships, i.e. Federation and Klingon.

o Klingon workaround provided with edited KCAC.SHP file in the provided KCAC folder.

• 10 new Fed impulse engine sounds to choose including stock version 2.

• 8 new impulse emergency turn sounds to choose from including stock version 2.

• PES 1701 2.0 macros now have damage control and power allocation settings.

o PES 1701 1.0 only has some of these parameters set.

• QBSHIPS.TXT script file has a listing for this ship line separated from other ships in file.

o Listed as F Constitution Refit 1701 = 1701 USS Enterprise

o To prevent overwriting your existing Quick Battle mod ship selection ability, open the included QBSHIPS.TXT file and copy and paste the ship name listing into your current QBSHIPS.TXT file.

Addendum: 4/25/11 - I was able to get a better ST3 torp together and have put it in this .rar file and re-uploaded it. Since I'm not a sound engineer, I do the best I can with what little I know. Although, it's not always an easy thing when you're learning on the fly and trying to remove voices and music to just get the sound effects from the movies. So, maybe I'll find a better way to get this torp sound lifted during future efforts. For now, I like the sound in torp folder ST3-1 more than in ST3-2, but I like giving people a choice too.

Other revised mods:

PES Revised TOS USS Enterprise 1701 2.x

Moonraker's Revised TMP IKV Amar 2.0
Last edited by DBF68 on Wed Sep 16, 2015 5:48 pm, edited 56 times in total.
Warning, we have entered Neutral Zone, Warning.....

Scotty
Order of Kahless
Order of Kahless

Postby Scotty » Sun Apr 24, 2011 8:50 pm

Sweet! Can't wait to try these out! Thanks!
Beam this up!

Scotty
Order of Kahless
Order of Kahless

Postby Scotty » Mon May 30, 2011 11:48 pm

Wow, finally got around to trying this out. The pulse phasers look incredible! I dare say these are the nicest phaser graphics I've seen in KA. They have the same look as in ST2, with a bright glowing center which makes them look very powerful - nicely done!

I've played 2 or 3 battles with the K Connie and K K'Tinga - all were hard fought, knock down, drag outs. I got my butt kicked twice - playing the Connie and the Kling. My tactical skills definitely need sharpening. :)

Great job Dirk!
Beam this up!

DBF68
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Postby DBF68 » Wed Jun 01, 2011 5:48 am

Scotty wrote:Wow, finally got around to trying this out. The pulse phasers look incredible! I dare say these are the nicest phaser graphics I've seen in KA. They have the same look as in ST2, with a bright glowing center which makes them look very powerful - nicely done!

Thanks. :D Initially, I was going to release this revised mod without doing a phaser graphic redo, but I couldn't bring myself to releasing something half done. So, it took me a couple of days to find the right type of graphic image to work and look ST2-ish. Interestingly enough, the graphic file I set to be this mod's stock phaser image looks similar to a piece of square peppermint candy. After all the hair pulling failures to get the right graphic, it was funny that what I needed was so simple.

What did you think about the ST2 movie Kobiyashi Maru bridge scene ambient sounds? Are they working for you or are you still having trouble with hearing them? I'm using a borrowed Bose headphones and they make just about everything else sound like it's being piped through soup cans. The audio quality is extremely good.

Also, does the ST3 torp sound work for you? I emailed a rar-ed set to you last month to replace what I had initially had in the original release. The second pair are better, but not perfect vs. the one in the original file release. For anyone else reading this post, that PES 1701 2.0 link has the two ST3 torp sounds in it.

Scotty wrote:I've played 2 or 3 battles with the K Connie and K K'Tinga - all were hard fought, knock down, drag outs. I got my butt kicked twice - playing the Connie and the Kling. My tactical skills definitely need sharpening. :)

Great job Dirk!

Which K'Tinga were you playing against, the stock version or Kt'Hyla's?

If you were using Kt'Hyla's version, I'm not entirely sure if that ship is working correctly. It seems to be a little invinsible to some degree vs. the stock K'Tinga. Here are my post observations about it.

As for the long slogging battles you had, they might not have been due to your rusty tactical skills. The PES 1701 2.0 I released is using Kt'Hyla's original phaser damage values, which I think are vastly underpowered depending on your adversary. Again, I posted my observations and experimentations with boosting the phaser damage values to contend with ECM and enemy ship QB matches.

Prior to looking in the stock K'Tinga .shp file, I didn't realize the stock K'Tinga disruptor damage level is set at 2.160 for normal damage and 4.320 for 200% overload damage. When you compare those damage levels to the current PES 1701 2.0 phaser damage levels, I think it's pretty obvious why anyone would get a repeated butt kicking during multiple longer than normal slog fests. Under Kt'Hyla's original phaser damage values, the PES 1701 2.0 normal phaser damage level is 0.72 for forward phasers and 0.36 for port, starboard, and aft phasers. Overload phaser damage is set at 1.44 forward phasers and 0.72 for p, s, a phasers. To give you an idea of how far those phaser damage numbers differ from the stock Connie, the stock Connie damage levels are set at 1.44 for f, p, s, a damage and 2.88 for overload damage.

Lately, I've been playing and evaluating QB matches between the PES 1701 2.0 and weapon additions I've made to Moon's K'Tinga. For the PES 1701 2.0, I've set normal phaser damage to 1 and overload damage to 2 for all arcs. For Moon's K'Tinga, I've set normal disruptor damage to 2 and overload damage to 4 for all arcs.

The weapon additions I've made to Moon's K'Tinga are 2 additional disruptors to the forward, port, starboard, and aft areas of the ship. The idea has been to compensate for the PES 1701 2.0's full powered and seldom missing phasers. When I say "seldom", I mean for the AI more than when I'm piloting the ship. Each arc of the PES 1701 2.0 Connie has eight phaser shots. Get enough of them lined up as an AI ship and it can beat the snot out of you very fast.

To try and compensate for what I thought was an under powered Moon K'Tinga, I added a couple of disruptors to the f, p, s, and aft arcs of the ship. So, I now have 4 f-p-s-a disruptors set to normal damage of 2 and overload damage of 4. One of the pluses to these increases and decreases in weapons damage is reducing the shield recharge-a-thon matches when weapon damage levels were set higher for either ship.

When I set the PES 1701 2.0 phaser damage back to stock 1.44 and 2.88 levels for all arcs, along with the Moon K'Tinga disruptor damage to stock 2.16 and 4.32 levels for all arcs, I ended up with quick engagements and long disengagements. The drawback to having the phasers and disruptors set to stock damage levels is that you end up spending most of your time in shield recharge and enemy evasion mode. So, the fun factor is greatly reduced. Reducing the phaser and disruptor damage levels for these ships has returned the fun factor to the point where I'm not in shield recharge-a-thon mode.

As a matter of fact, I'm contemplating setting phaser and disruptor levels at 75% of the current damage levels I'm using to increase the fun factor of ship engagement. Reducing the PES 1701 2.0 currently used phaser damage by 75% would mean normal damage of 0.75 and overload damage of 1.5. For Moon's K'Tinga, reducing currently used disruptor damage levels by 75% would mean normal damage of 1.5 and overload damage of 3. So, considering Kt'Hyla's original Connie normal and overload damage levels of 0.72 and 1.44 solely from a forward arc damage perspective, maybe further phaser and disruptor damage levels are warranted.

Another Moon K'Tinga modification I made was to the firing rate. It's just a bit slower than the PES 1701 2.0 Connie phaser firing rate. The PES 1701 2.0 Connie has a pulse firing rate of 0.03 seconds between phaser pulses. For the Moon K'Tinga, I've played around with a disruptor firing rate between 0.04 and 0.035, but settled on a firing rate of 0.066. The idea behind the slower disruptor firing rate is along the lines of Klingon disruptor tech not being as sophisticated or refined as Federation tech. Also, based on the 14 new disruptor sounds I've borrowed, mixed, and modified, a disruptor firing graphic rate of 0.66 seconds paired with a disruptor firing sound between .876 and 1.26 seconds seems to be the best complementary visual to audio match.

Eventually, I'll make Moon's weapon point increased K'Tinga available for download. Although, I'd like to have way of finding out how many people, both members and non-members, are downloading the files I'm making available. I'm just curious as to how many people are interested enough in these revisements to download the files. Aside from you Scotty, no one else posted any comments regarding my revisements to Kt'Hyla's 1701 Connie (like-dislike-I'm sorry, did you post something? ;) ). Even so, I'm not exclusively making these revisements for KA forum praise, but more than one individual's feedback would be nice. :)
Last edited by DBF68 on Sat Jul 05, 2014 10:44 am, edited 1 time in total.

el_flesh
Warrior
Warrior

Postby el_flesh » Sat Aug 13, 2011 5:11 am

hhhhmmmmm.

I love the pulse effect on the phasers - but they seem a little too new movie for me - scattered all over the place and not so much ST2 linear - which was not the original idea of phasers anyway. While I like the idea of the way phasers were originally implemented in KA (vs the utter crap of SFA), I wish they could look alot more like the originals - blue for old Constitution, red for the Enterprise class, green for Klingon Disruptor, and something else for Romulan. But we digress.
The sounds are odd - seem new movie, too. But they are such an improvement over the original game shipped one. Why couldn't Interplay get a close match? Did their licence not frikkin allow it??? Anyway - for long phasers, I would love some sound sample from almost any of the TV series. There is no reason for Fed phasers to pulse. That was not Star Trek, it was a Star Wars idea. They went back to a constant stream in TNG.

I think the smaller torpedos are PERFECT. I love the 'lightsaber' flare lines of ST2 you added! Make no sense at all; ILM again I'd bet. The sound of the torpedos is PERFECT too! Much better than KA and just as good as SFA.

I don't understand why your version of Enterprise cannot hand the D-7's ASS to them. Maybe I'm too FASA generation, but that's NCC-1701 for me.

All in all, I don't want to sound negative. There is a choice of Enterprise Class for those of us who aren't crazy about this version of THE definitive Enterprise. It's not like the author screwed the game and you have to uninstall! It was worth the download so far as I am concerned, and he has my thanx for this mod!
In the Final Reflection, it's HIS project. He should do what pleases him first of all!

DBF68
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Postby DBF68 » Mon Aug 15, 2011 1:27 am

`
Yes, I had nothing else better to do today. ;)

el_flesh wrote:hhhhmmmmm.
I love the pulse effect on the phasers - but they seem a little too new movie for me - scattered all over the place and not so much ST2 linear - which was not the original idea of phasers anyway.

Thanks for the input. I'm glad you like the look and feel of the phasers. I almost released this ship without a phaser retexture redo, but I just can't release something that's half-done.

I agree with you about not liking the scattered all over the place phaser shots. The problem of the scattered phaser shots is due to an enemy ship using ECM. When it's cranked up, some phaser shots will go in other directions.

Just for fun, I tried removing the ECM remarks in the stock KCAC K'T'inga SHP file to see if I could remove it's ability to use ECM. In order to make sure I accounted for every ECM mention in the KCAC SHP file, I used Notepad's Find feature to find ECM references. Well, for whatever reason, ECM or something else still seemed to affect the phaser accuracy towards hitting the stock KCAC K'T'inga, even after putting # in front of all KCAC K'T'inga SHP ECM references.

Of course, after you beat the KCAC K'Tinga in a Quck Battle round, the phasers will shoot straight at the KCAC K'Tinga as it's going through its death throws. Maybe I missed something in the SHP file when trying to eliminate K'T'inga SHP ECM references to get the same affect, but I thought I was pretty thorough. At the same time, I'm not terribly surprised that effort didn't work.

At one time, I tried to remove sensors from the PES 1701 2.0 to see if I could severly reduce it's accuracy to figure out why it was kicking my butt when using the Klingon D7, but it didn't seem to matter.

Apparently AI ships don't need sensors to kick your butt.

I'll let you read that post to see what I experienced. Anymore, I've just accepted things as they are because I think messing with the game to remove ECM entirely would probably muck up things a bit.

Even though it was a movie, both the Reliant and the Enterprise didn't have a problem with hitting each other with phaser fire when they initially met during Khan's ambush. Although, both ships were relatively close to each other at the time, making whatever ECM they might have, if not disclosed, rather moot. Then, once in the Mutara Nebulae, all bets were off to some extent.

The only time we've seen the Enterprise missing the Reliant with phaser fire was when the two ships were in the Mutara Nebulae. That event took place when Sulu inadvertantly hit the "fire" button due to being put off balance when the Enterprise was rocked by turbulence. Then, when both ships were rather close to each other while in the nebulae, hitting each other with phaser fire didn't seem to be that big of a problem. So, as with the movie, closeness to your target improves sensor detection, phaser accuracy, and reduces phaser fire in other directions than towards the intended target.

Somewhere in the Gen & MP or Mod forums is a discussion about phaser accuracy. I'd have to go look for it to remember what was discussed and to see if anything was resolved or used as a workaround. So, you might try a search to see if you can find it and see what the outcome was towards the effort to make phasers more accurate. I think I'll go find it and read it to refresh my memory too.

Weapons accuracy question 12-15-2006

el_flesh wrote:While I like the idea of the way phasers were originally implemented in KA (vs the utter crap of SFA), I wish they could look alot more like the originals - blue for old Constitution, red for the Enterprise class, green for Klingon Disruptor, and something else for Romulan. But we digress.

I agree. To some extent, there wasn't near enough effort towards making each race's ships have individual weapon characteristics (graphics and sounds) not shared with another race's ships. Yes, there were all the exotic weapons and their individual graphics and sounds. Still, when it came down to the standard phaser and disruptor, I didn't like the fact that both Klingon and Romulan ships used the same disruptor graphic and sound. It's just odd to put all that work into making the exotic stuff and then to sort of cheap out when it comes to not making the Klingons and Romulans having distinct and different disuptor graphics and sounds.

You might try these TOS mods from Kt'Hyla's Phoenix Experimental Shipyards. I haven't tried them yet. So, I don't know if he changed the phaser graphic and sound to be more like those seen and heard from the 60's tv program. If he didn't make those changes, that's something I'll put on my "to do" list for the future. My attitude is that if I've seen something in the tv program and the movies, I expect to see and hear it in the game. Well, we got screwed in that regard.

PES: TOS Constitution Fleet Ship Pack - http://dhost.info/phoenix/tos2.htm

PES: TOS Starfleet Shippack - http://dhost.info/phoenix/tos1.htm

el_flesh wrote:The sounds are odd - seem new movie, too. But they are such an improvement over the original game shipped one. Why couldn't Interplay get a close match? Did their licence not frikkin allow it???

Glad you like the new sounds. They are from the movie ST2. As for why Interplay didn't or couldn't provide us with the same sounds, I don't know why, but it annoyed me to no end. Paramount's rep, Harry Lang, was involved in the process and even posted on the Interplay KA forum board. So, it wasn't like the KA team didn't have someone they could go to and ask about using the movie sounds.

Maybe the KA team not using movie sounds was due to another licensing and contractual fiasco issue. Although, maybe it was really because Interplay's former CEO, Brian Fargo, was such a cheap F*ck and didn't give a damn about producing a quality game, unless that game was D&D oriented. As I recall, the later possibility is likely seeing as how BioWare had to sue Interplay's ass to get money due to them.

BioWare files suit against Interplay

By Trey Walker, GameSpotPosted Sep 20, 2001 7:35 pm PT

http://www.gamespot.com/news/2813738/bioware-files-suit-against-interplay

Even with Brian Fargo long gone, Interplay is still a shitty little game publisher that is hopefully not long for this world.

Fallout MMORPG future unclear, Interplay facing bankruptcy

By Tor Thorsen, GameSpotPosted May 31, 2011 4:34 pm PT

After losing $1 million last year, publisher was left with $3,000 cash, $2.87 million in debt, and no credit]http://www.gamespot.com/news/6316276/fallout-mmorpg-future-unclear-interplay-facing-bankruptcy[/url]
Last edited by DBF68 on Sat Jul 05, 2014 10:39 am, edited 1 time in total.

DBF68
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Postby DBF68 » Mon Aug 15, 2011 1:33 am

I can remember when the KA team was running down the list of all the things they said where going into KA. One of the things that stood out to me was that they said they had access to Paramount's Star Trek library of sounds effects. Of course, I was thinking, "Great! We're going to get Star Trek movie sound effects in the game!". Of course, the library they had access to was the shit from the 60's TV show. :0P Those sounds are fine for the TOS Connie, but don't give me that crap with the refit Connie. >;0P

Another reason why the KA team didn't use Star Trek movie sounds might have been because they didn't think it was important. Now, that reasoning seems exceedingly odd to me, but so was the rationale about not creating and providing us with ST2 pulse phasers. One of the coolest aspects about ST2 to a lot of people were the pulse phasers used by the Enterprise and the Reliant. It was even a topic of discussion on the Interplay KA forum along with tracking torps, for both of which I was advocate. Even so, both desires were shot down, dismissed, and somewhat ridiculed as unecessary by KA team members.

Well, one of the things I've recalled from being on this forum and looking through the posts is that there was a desire for ST2 pulse phasers. Personally, I've always hated the stock Fed phasers. They're yellow and not red or reddish-orange, they take a long time to shoot and go through a shooting cycle, and they sound like chirping birds (chirp, chirp, chirp, chirp). They are extremely underwhelming in the "Wow!" factor and so far removed from any attempt at movie realism as to be a joke. Yet, this is the kind of Star Trek revisionist baloney we were fed whether we liked it or not.

Soap Box Moment:

Back in 2006, I discovered and installed Kt'Hyla's PES 1701 1.0 Constitution. Even though it didn't have the graphic and sound mods I've created for it, I was thrilled that somone had been able to find a way to create pulse phasers. It was fun as hell to take it up against Moonraker's K'T'inga, even if it too didn't have the mods I've made for it. Happy to have something more like I wanted from KA in the beginning, I posted some screen captures on a forum I used to belong to for a number of years that is now gone. Some of the members of that forum included former KA beta testers and former KA team member Ron Hodge.

Now, when I included those Connie pulse firing phaser pics in that post, there was no "in your face Ron" sentiment intended or implied. I was just happy and wanted to share my discovery with other KA fans. I'm making this point because Ron and I have disagreed about various things in the past regarding KA, including the possibility of making pulse phasers. So, this issue, along with my other KA development critiques, or as he put it "stylistic gripes", has been sort of a sore spot between us.

So, when I posted the pics of my pulse phaser firing Constitution chasing Moonraker's K'T'inga on that forum, I got an unexpected angry retort from Ron. Essentially, he said that ST2 pulse phasers weren't created for the Constitution because no one cared about them and no one wanted them. Now, I thought that was a rather bullshit remark given how the coolest scenes in ST2 were the ships trading pulse phaser fire against each other.

Granted, not everyone on the Interplay KA forum thought pulse phasers were a must have item. Even so, to say no one cared about them and no one wanted them is a lot of crap. Based on what we got in the end, I think KA was subject to a certain degree of biased revisionistic interpretation in favor of what the KA team members liked and wanted. Established ST2 precedents and fan input didn't seem to matter a lot towards KA development. Sure, the KA team did take and implement some fan input, but when you really think about it, some of those suggestions were "DUH!!!" suggestions, i.e. obvious as hell.

The exception to the KA team's selective hearing was if you were on the external beta tester team. Yet, they still missed a lot of things that needed obvious fixing. As far as I'm concerned, the fact that KA was centered around a forward pov fighter pilot mentality HUD; rather than a maximum eyecandy external Chase Camera view with real situational awareness instead of a little enemy direction arrow going around a HUD circle; says a lot about the myopic vision behind this game.

Another possibility for our not getting pulse phaser graphics and sound effects might be because it wasn't possible at the time with the tools available to the KA team. Although, here I am eleven years later, Joe Schmoe, with no real game graphic and sound development experience nor expertise, and I've created ST2 pulse phaser graphics and sounds for KA. Given this fact, I'm inclined to believe ST2 phasers just weren't important to the KA team.

-----

The phaser sound is from ST2. It's a sound that's been around for awhile and that I've used with KA and Bridge Commander. Although, this phaser sound has been modified to improve its quality and to synchronize it better with the phaser graphic firing speed.

More than you want to know in my email reply to Scotty:

Sent: Monday, March 07, 2011 7:32 PM

As you mentioned, that stock TWOK phaser sound was far too loud. So, you made the right move in reducing the amplitude. The other problem is that it doesn't work well with Kt'Hyla's Connie. It will work, but there's so much phaser fire sound overlap during the 1.03x second for the 8 phaser pulses that you get a sort of annoying echo chamber effect when you try to use that file.

So, what I did was to find out the time spacing between K's Connie phaser pulses. The space between phaser pulses is 1/2 a second (0.5 sec) [8/14/11 Actually, it's 0.0667 seconds between pulse bursts when you look at the SHP file specs and do the math, but 0.5 sec seemed to be a pretty good observational guesstimate prior to this knowledge and it worked pretty well]. Then, I used one of my freebie sound programs, possibly Audacity, to crop that 1.03x sec sound file to 0.5 sec. Even so, there was still a degree of echo chamber like overlap between phaser pulses and everything sounded rather harsh.

Now, I "think" the following process is how I did what I did to get what I sounds a lot better, but I didn't immediately document my procedure after having my eureka moment. So, this process might not be entirely accurate, Even so, it wouldn't take that much to recreate the file I'm using now by using a little trial and error between 50% and 80% fade out at different points between the middle and end of the file sound.

In order to fix that harsh sound between pulses, I gathered there needed to be some kind of fade out between phaser pulses. So, I started from the middle of the 0.5 sec sound file and started to add a fade out of 50% from middle to end. Then, I went to the 3/4 mark on that 0.5 sec and then I made another 50% fade out from 3/4 mark to end. Still feeling there was a little too much harshness and not enough decay between the end of one phaser pulse and the beginning of the next, I "think" I went to the 7/8 mark and added 80% fade from that point to the end of the file sound.

Give these files a test drive and see what you think. I'm rather happy with them. That harsh echo chamber sound is gone because the sound is now in synch with the time between phaser pulses and because of the degree of sound decay added.

-----

The new Federation ambient bridge sounds are from the Kobayashi Maru scene in the beginning of ST2.

More than you want to know in my email reply to Scotty:

Sent: Monday, March 07, 2011 7:32 PM

Btw, I've been futzing around with trying to replace the Fed bridge ambient sounds with Fed bridge sounds from TWOK. I can go to YT and use my Creative Labs sound card software to record "What you hear". So, I've been working on trying to get the vocals removed from the Kobayashi Maru scene in the beginning of the film primarily because there are so many ambient sounds and there isn't any music. The problem has been with filtering out the voices.

Sent: Monday, March 21, 2011 4:11 PM

I've "finally" been able to strip out the vocals and isolate the ST2 Kobayashi Maru movie bridge sounds. It's been a serious pita trying to figure out how to do it. The recent breakthrough was a combination of manually deleting and muting vocal waveforms via Adobe Audition's sound spectrum display. Then, a combination of using the program's noise profile cancellation, hiss filtering, and click/pop filtering functions finally produced good quality isolated bridge sounds. Attached are the resulting sound files.

Fortunately, snd2acm was able to convert the 22 kHz wav files enough to preserve most of what you hear in both of those sound files. The lower (boop-boop-boop-boop) sound is a little cut off by the 3rd boop. So, I might bump the gain on the last two boops to see if I can get them to come across better. When I saw snd2acm say it was only able to convert between 6.x% of one wave file and 8.x% of the other wave file to acm, I was worried that the acm sound quality would be crap.

The reason why I was concerned is because I've taken the stock Fed acm bridge sound, converted it to a wave file, and then re-converted it back to an acm file with snd2acm. Snd2acm was able to convert around 21.x% of that wave file to an acm file. So, seeing the smaller percentages converted for the other two wave files made me concerned, but it apparently worked. Yea! :0)
Last edited by DBF68 on Sat Jul 05, 2014 10:46 am, edited 1 time in total.

DBF68
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Postby DBF68 » Mon Aug 15, 2011 1:34 am

el_flesh wrote:Anyway - for long phasers, I would love some sound sample from almost any of the TV series. There is no reason for Fed phasers to pulse. That was not Star Trek, it was a Star Wars idea. They went back to a constant stream in TNG.

When I get time, I'm going to check Kt'Hyla's TOS Federation ship collection. If he hasn't already created near TV like phaser graphics and sounds for them, that'll be something I'll try to do down the road. Right now, I've got to shift gears in a more important, but less enjoyable direction, i.e. real life. If you go to Bridge Commander Files, I'll bet you can find the TOS phaser sound you want to download.

As for "no reason for Fed phasers to pulse", my attitude is that if I see something in a Star Trek film, I expect it to be in my Star Trek game. If ST2 would have had the Enterprise and Reliant firing beam phasers at each other instead of pulse phaers, I would want to see beam phaser on those ships in KA. As for the TNG style phasers, I just look look at the difference between ST2 and TNG phasers as similar but different technologies of the time that both fire phasers. Again, if I see something in TOS, ST films, or TNG, I expect to see it accurately represented in my ST games.

el_flesh wrote:I think the smaller torpedos are PERFECT. I love the 'lightsaber' flare lines of ST2 you added! Make no sense at all. I don't understand why your version of Enterprise cannot hand the D-7's ASS to them. Maybe I'm too FASA generation, but that's NCC-1701 for me.

Great. I always thought the stock ones were just too big. The only thing that's been done is a re-colorization and resizing of the torp bitmap file. I left the pcx torp file alone. If I made it smaller, it made the whole torp look lousy.

As for the torp sound, I'm glad that works for you too. It's from the movie ST3. The hard part was cleaning it up to remove the music from the scene when it's fired on the ambushing KBOP.

el_flesh wrote:I don't understand why your version of Enterprise cannot hand the D-7's ASS to them. Maybe I'm too FASA generation, but that's NCC-1701 for me.

Well, you're replying to a post that was posted on 4-23-2011, which is nearly 4 months old. Since that time, beating the stock K'T'inga and Moonraker K'T'inga isn't that difficult. It gets a little more difficult when you take the PES 1701 2.1 up against the Moonraker K'T'inga 2.0 that has 4 FPSA disruptors.

Part of the reason I was having problems beating either K'T'inga was because the phaser damage points of the PES 1701 2.0 were originally based on the PES 1701 1.0 phaser damage points. See the following post and chart link in the post for details.

PES 1701 2.0 - Better Phasers & Torps 05-02-2011

Since that time, the PES 1701 2.1 and Moonraker K'T'inga 2.0 battles are more evenly matched with some exception. Both ships have their weapons damage points set to stock levels. Although, when you pilot the PES 1701 2.1, you have to remember you're primarily a phaser ship and to use as many of your firing arcs to your advantage. Otherwise, you can get chewed up pretty well by the Moonraker K'T'inga 2.0.

Btw, I love FASA Star Trek ships too, but according to Ron Hodge, the KA team didn't like them. So, you can kind of see where the bias was when it came to designing ships. When it came time to create something better than FASA ST ships, the SoK concept design was sleek and fantastic. Yet, what we got instead model-wise was a big green blocky space toad (1) (2), i.e. a fugly piece of crap.

el_flesh wrote:All in all, I don't want to sound negative. There is a choice of Enterprise Class for those of us who aren't crazy about this version of THE definitive Enterprise. It's not like the author screwed the game and you have to uninstall! It was worth the download so far as I am concerned, and he has my thanx for this mod! In the Final Reflection, it's HIS project. He should do what pleases him first of all!

Not a problem. I appreciate the input. Like you said, this is purely an optional mod.
Last edited by DBF68 on Sat Jul 05, 2014 11:22 am, edited 4 times in total.

el_flesh
Warrior
Warrior

Postby el_flesh » Fri Aug 19, 2011 11:21 pm

I have always wondered about legal issues of using FASA designs; I have installed and LOVE the Romulan Winged Defender! Wish I could replace those Gorn designs too; which look like snake heads when seen form the side - utterly ridiculous. I have no clue why Interplay wouldn't use them if they were available.

In an early season of TNG I caught the Orion Wanderer design of FASA on a screen that Data was looking at - paused the VCR for proof!

DBF68
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Postby DBF68 » Fri Aug 26, 2011 6:08 am

Yeah, I don't like the Gorn ships all at all. I think they look like crap. The last thing I expect to see in space is something akin to a Gorn aircraft carrier.

About 10 or so years ago, Microsoft bought up FASA to get the rights they held to MechWarrior and other games. Even so, there was an exodus of number of FASA people that left the company rather than getting sucked into the Borgasphere that is Microsoft:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/FASA

Based on the Google FASA results I got, Microsoft, true to form, jacked over FASA.

FASA Founder: Microsoft 'Destroyed' Dev Culture at Former MechWarrior Studio
by Nick Breckon, Aug 26, 2009 7:02pm PDT

and Microsoft is still screwing over FASA:

MechWarrior 4 free release 'held up' by Microsoft
by Richard Mitchell on Apr 2nd 2010 5:16PM

I think the lack of FASA Star Trek ships in games like KA, SFC, and BC (Bridge Commander) boils down to a few things:

1. Not everyone being aware of FASA Star Trek ships.

2. Not being able to secure the rights.

3. Members of the KA team with the most sway not liking the FASA ships.

4. Paramount being it's typical PITA self when it comes to anyone messing with its Star Trek IP. Last I heard, they reserved the right to f*ck up Star Trek how they saw fit. As far as I'm concerned, Paramount can suck tribble dung.

Even so, there are FASA ships available for SFC.

http://www.staryards.com/Downloads/Ships/Klingon/2_TMP/Kling_TMP.htm

http://www.staryards.com/Downloads/Ships/Federation/2_TMP/Fed_TMP.htm

There were also a few Romulan FASA ships used in that crap Star Trek game, Star Trek: Legacy aka Star Trek in a pizza box universe.

Back in early 2007, I used a little program once called Milkshape to convert Moonraker's SFC K'T'inga ship over to Bridge Commander. Although, I never got around to releasing the ship because real life got in the way. The nice thing about that ship was that it had blinking running lights and the little spot lights on the hull. The Moonraker K'T'inga 2.0 I've released doesn't have those nice little nuance features. Some day, maybe I'll figure out how to make the same things for it in Lightwave and re-release it, but it's a back burner priority for now.

Highlander
Major
Major

Postby Highlander » Thu Sep 08, 2011 1:52 am

Remade Excelsior? lol
"I dont care who you are, here is to your dream."

DBF68
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Postby DBF68 » Thu Sep 08, 2011 8:09 pm

Highlander wrote:Remade Excelsior? lol
The closest I may get is revising an existing Excelsior mod. :)

Highlander
Major
Major

Postby Highlander » Wed Oct 05, 2011 7:49 pm

Cool beans
"I dont care who you are, here is to your dream."

Trey3
Captain
Captain

Re: Release: Phoenix Experimental Shipyards USS Enterprise 1

Postby Trey3 » Sun Sep 22, 2013 6:34 pm

DBF68 wrote:`
Update: There's a new version of this ship available mentioned after the Moonraker K'T'inga mod.

viewtopic.php?f=7&t=33344

-----

Here's a re-work of Kt'Hyla's USS Enterprise from his Phoenix Experimental Shipyards website. Below is all the new stuff. Let me know if something isn't working or if you have recommendations to improve something.

Cool music to listen to while reading. Not bad for Quick Battles either. The company that puts out these music pieces creates them to be used as movie trailer music. I'm sure we all recognize the first one. :D

http://www.twostepsfromhell.com/

Two Steps From Hell - Freedom Fighters: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YJm6b-o2pTM

Two Steps From Hell - Master Of Shadows: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pCUBAJYMs2U

Phoenix Experimental Shipyards - Federation Constitution Refit

http://dhost.info/phoenix/refit.htm

ImageImage

What’s New

• Ship and shield have been repositioned to be above the bottom screen menu in chase view.

• Stock Fed TOS ambient bridge sounds replaced with ST2 Kobayashi Maru bridge scene sounds.

o Two sets of sounds have been deleted from the beginning of the sound file since they were acoustically annoying and jarring when the sound file would repeat.

o Putting these files elsewhere in the sound file didn’t result in a better auditory experience.

• Stock Fed phaser sound replaced with edited and synchronized ST2 pulse phaser sound.

o It’s not the harsh, nasty, out of synch with the phaser fire graphic timing sound of old.

o Note: Will replace Fed phaser sounds for all Fed beam phaser ships.

• PES 1701 1.0 phaser graphic replaced with one that is more ST2 movie oriented.

o Several versions are provided to allow for each player’s desired effect and experience.

• Stock photon torpedo graphic made more ST2 & ST3 reddish orange.

o Unless otherwise modded, all standard torp using ships will use this graphic.

o No workaround provided at this time, but one is possible

• Stock photon torpedo .bmp image files reduced in size by 40%.

o Stock photon torpedoes have always been ridiculously huge.

• Stock photon torpedo sound can be replaced with sounds from ST1 or ST3.

o There are two ST3 torpedo sounds available in separate folders.

o Using either of these sounds replaces the sound for all standard photon torpedo using ships, i.e. Federation and Klingon.

o Klingon workaround provided with edited KCAC.SHP file in the provided KCAC folder.

• 10 new Fed impulse engine sounds to choose including stock version 2.

• 8 new impulse emergency turn sounds to choose from including stock version 2.

• PES 1701 2.0 macros now have damage control and power allocation settings.

o PES 1701 1.0 only has some of these parameters set.

• QBSHIPS.TXT script file has a listing for this ship line separated from other ships in file.

o Listed as F Constitution Refit 1701 = 1701 USS Enterprise

o To prevent overwriting your existing Quick Battle mod ship selection ability, open the included QBSHIPS.TXT file and copy and paste the ship name listing into your current QBSHIPS.TXT file.

PES_1701_2.0.rar (15.4 MB)

Addendum: 4/25/11 - I was able to get a better ST3 torp together and have put it in this .rar file and re-uploaded it. Since I'm not a sound engineer, I do the best I can with what little I know. Although, it's not always an easy thing when you're learning on the fly and trying to remove voices and music to just get the sound effects from the movies. So, maybe I'll find a better way to get this torp sound lifted during future efforts. For now, I like the sound in torp folder ST3-1 more than in ST3-2, but I like giving people a choice too.

is there any where to get these ships now? the link is dead.
Capt Kirk and orginal USS Enterprise and crew #1 too me, Deep Space 9 is #2 for me.

DBF68
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Re: Release: Phoenix Experimental Shipyards USS Enterprise 1

Postby DBF68 » Tue Sep 24, 2013 12:44 am

Trey3 wrote:is there any where to get these ships now? the link is dead.

Yes, you can still use these links, but you have to tell your browser to ignore the warning. Also, click on the "This is not an attack site." button if you see one in the upper right hand corner of the browser to send feedback back to whomever Firefox/Chrome use to detect and report malware to FF browser users:

PES 1701 2.1

http://dirkfretz.com/KA/Mods/Ships/Fed/PES_1701_2.1.rar

Moonraker K'Tinga 2.0

http://dirkfretz.com/KA/Mods/Ships/Klin ... ga_2.0.rar

Game Audio Player 1.32

http://dirkfretz.com/KA/Mods/Game_Audio_Player_1.32.rar

Here's the background info on the malware warning:

Re: Attack site??

Postby DBF68 » August 13th, 2013, 2:33 am

viewtopic.php?f=11&t=33571

-----

Because I got an email notice from Go Daddy last week about possible malware on my site, albeit, a month after it was reported via Google, I made an effort to at least change my ftp and Go Daddy account usernames and passwords. I really doubt the infected html files were a result of someone or something finding out my usernames and passwords to upload infected files. For all I know, with my website portfolio being made with MS FrontPage 2003 about 8 years ago, it could be full of all sorts of security holes to allow someone to just go to the webpages directly and upload malware infected pages.

After downloading the entire website content and splitting it up into two rar files that would be accepted by a multi-malware engine scanning website service, all 43 or so malware engines detected nothing. Although, when I rar filed the malware infected html pages, only 8 of 43 or some such number of malware engines detected any kind of java trojan. So, I don't know if Google's malware detection engine is one of those 8 that detected something bad or if we're just talking a false positive. Regardless, since the html pages had a time date stamp that was May of this year, they were suspect, deleted, and clean versions were reloaded to the website.

When I get time, I need to go through the proper channels with proof of effort to show that the website isn't infected anymore. What I find a little odd is that Go Daddy sent me this heads up email a month after this website blocking started via Google, but that Go Daddy doesn't seem to scan their web servers for possible malware. Granted, Go Daddy probably has a million or so domains it hosts and scanning each hosted domain would be a rather large, albeit, automated task. Yet, just like Google that detected the malware, Go Daddy is a 24/7 operation that I would think would have some better safeguards to ensure stuff like this didn't happen on its web servers.

Addendum

It appears the problem might be back. I just opened the root of my website via the ftp program FileZilla and saw html webpage files and associated folders with 8/25/2013 time date stamps, which is completely wrong. There are also a couple of PHP files dated 9/9/2013. So, I'm going to have to re-re-clean the website and see if it helps.

On the good side, none of the files and folders in the KA folder have current year and month time date stamps. So, you should be ok to download those files, but run your malware scanner on the rar files prior to decompressing them just to be sure. For the most part, it seems all that's getting hit on my website are html files and folders and a couple of PHP files.

Return to Klingon Academy Modding