KA WIN 10 Compatibility ?

LeDaniel
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

KA WIN 10 Compatibility ?

Postby LeDaniel » Sun Aug 02, 2015 9:32 pm

Does anyone try Klingon Academy and Windows 10 ?

kolby
Warrior Recruit
Warrior Recruit

Re: KA WIN 10 Compatibility ?

Postby kolby » Sun Aug 02, 2015 11:05 pm

It would not play, Not too crazy with Windows 10 either ! :(

LeDaniel
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Postby LeDaniel » Thu Aug 20, 2015 9:51 pm

KA is playable on my Windows 10, so KA live on new OS longer ;)

kolby
Warrior Recruit
Warrior Recruit

Postby kolby » Thu Aug 20, 2015 11:34 pm

Nice ! How did you get past the " run as administrator" issue ?.

LeDaniel
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Postby LeDaniel » Fri Nov 27, 2015 12:20 am

I have some interesting ERROR on WIN 10 with KA.

When i try to install KA on WIN 10, last screen, where is write REGISTERING FONTS, is freeeeeeze. Its strange. When i install KA on my WIN10 some times ago, everythink was OK.

Have anybody the same problém with installation of KA on WIN 10 ?

Thanks for any response.

Daniel

DBF68
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Postby DBF68 » Fri Nov 27, 2015 8:05 pm

LeDaniel wrote:I have some interesting ERROR on WIN 10 with KA.

When i try to install KA on WIN 10, last screen, where is write REGISTERING FONTS, is freeeeeeze. Its strange. When i install KA on my WIN10 some times ago, everythink was OK.

Thanks for any response.

Daniel

Yes. Go into Safe Mode to install it to by-pass the font issue. El Flesh had the same problem as did Scotty and I.

viewtopic.php?f=45&t=33550
Warning, we have entered Neutral Zone, Warning.....

LeDaniel
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Postby LeDaniel » Fri Nov 27, 2015 10:21 pm

DBF68 wrote:
LeDaniel wrote:I have some interesting ERROR on WIN 10 with KA.

Thanks for any response.

Daniel

Yes. Go into Safe Mode to install it to by-pass the font issue. El Flesh had the same problem as did Scotty and I.

http://www.klingonacademy.com/viewtopic ... 45&t=33550

Thanks, i will try it.

Darth Raven
Order of Kahless
Order of Kahless

Postby Darth Raven » Sat Nov 28, 2015 4:23 am

I had to do the same thing, and it worked perfectly in safe mode.
( [email="raven808" [@] gmail [.] com] | My Klingon Academy Mods )

LeDaniel
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Postby LeDaniel » Sat Nov 28, 2015 8:45 pm

Yes, in safe mod is working. I have small problém to get WIN 10 get back to normal boot, but i fix it.

Thanks for help ! :cool:

el_flesh
Warrior
Warrior

Postby el_flesh » Mon Feb 29, 2016 4:40 am

Well, now with Win 10 (9), I have yet another issue. Of course.

Error initializing hardware D3D video mode 640 x 480

Starfleet academy, however, worx.

SMOKEALL1
Warrior Recruit
Warrior Recruit

Postby SMOKEALL1 » Sat Nov 19, 2016 10:01 am

I cant run Klingon academy on windows 10 64 bit please somebody help me on teamviewer so I know how to fix it. stubss66@aim.com

DBF68
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Postby DBF68 » Sat Nov 19, 2016 1:22 pm

SMOKEALL1 wrote:I cant run Klingon academy on windows 10 64 bit please somebody help me on teamviewer so I know how to fix it.

Hello,

Unrelated, but the first I'd do is go back through your replies for help and remove your email address. There are bots, short for software robots, that are programmed to surf the Internet and collect email addresses for the purpose of spamming or phishing them. So, if you don't want spam or phishing emails; phishing is an email practice of trying to get personal financial info or money from you by pretending to be the IRS or a financial institution where you might have an account; go back and remove your email address.

Since I've commented in 3 of the 6 places where you've requested help, I got an email notifying me there was a new addition to a post. So, you don't have to put your email address in any post since you already included that info in the KA website account signup process. It just might take some time to get a reply because this place is pretty dead. Also, there's the possibility you won't get a reply.

I have Win 7 x64, but the process should be very similar. First of all, you can't install KA from the CDs if you have them. The old installer program from 2000 isn't recognized by W7 thru W10. So, you'd have to download a copy of KA that has a new installer to install the program.

One of the places where you can go to download the game is Trekcore:
(Right click on the link and choose "Open in new tab", because that function isn't automatically enabled on this website.)

http://gaming.trekcore.com/klingonacade ... howto.html

If you just want to download the game from that page, you can ignore the info at the top and go to the section below labeled "Build Instructions". If you don't have the original KA CDs, some of that game install info will be irrelevant. Alternately, you can also go to the Trekcore KA file download page to get the DVD kit that has CD-1 of the game, but not CDs 2-6.

TREKCORE > GAMING > KLINGON ACADEMY > Downloads

http://gaming.trekcore.com/klingonacade ... loads.html

I could be wrong, but I think the DVD kit already has the 1.02 US patch installed. If you're from the UK or Germany, the patches from those countries are on that page for download. So, you'd have to download which ever one is relevant to you and install it.

The KA DVD kit come in a compressed .rar format. You download and use either Winrar or 7zip to decompress the kit to a folder you should make in advance to put the decompressed file(s). Both Winrar and 7zip are free.

Since you've got W10 x64 (64-bit), you can download an install the x64 version of either program to install and use.

http://www.rarlab.com/download.htm

http://www.7-zip.org/download.html

When you get the program decompressed into a folder on your hard drive, you'll want to install KA in safe mode. For whatever reason, W7 and W10 lock up the KA install process when the KA fonts are being installed. So, you'll have to reboot your computer, hit the F8 key prior to the operating system loading screen is displayed, choose the first Safe Mode option, enter Safe Mode, install KA, and then reboot your computer to get back to the normal W10 environment. Depending on what kind of computer you have, be it self-built or from a major name brand like Dell, you'll want to repeatedly hit the F8 key after whatever initial loading screen is seen after hitting the computer on button. This will ensure that the Safe Mode list for lack of a better name will pop up for you to select the non-network Safe Mode option, which doesn't mean choosing the network Safe Mode option is wrong or bad.

Important Addendum: The drawback about the DVD Kit install program from Trekcore is that it will halt on not having the DATA.dat file outside of the KA_1 folder. So, you have to cut and paste the DATA.dat file to outside of the KA_1 folder before the installer will install the game and include the DATA.dat file in the Klingon Academy folder too. Then, you can cut and paste the DATA.dat file back into the KA_1 folder.

Optionally, you could keep the DATA.dat file in the KA_1 folder and just tell the install program to Ignore that it can't find that file. Then, the install program will install KA to the default folder or a folder you've named and have on the same or a different hard drive (either a physical hard drive or a partition on a hard drive). Then, you could copy and pate a copy of the DATA.dat file into the Klingon Academy folder so the game will work.
-----
Again, since I think the KA DVD kit comes with the 1.02 US patch installed. You shouldn't have to install any official Interplay patches. What I'd suggest you do next is install Komat's patches to make the game work with W10.

Prior to downloading Komat's patches, it'd be a good idea to make sure the executable KA file, ka.exe, is set for Windows Compatibility mode. If you were to do a W10 Help search for Windows Compatibility mode, you should get some info that will explain it. Essentially, from Windows XP up to Windows 10, there has been a backwards compatibility mode built in to each operating system, abbreviated OS, to "sometimes" allow older programs to work on a newer OS.

To get Windows Compatibility mode to work on KA, you'll have to get to the ka.exe file. To get to it, right-click on the KA icon that should be on your desktop, and from the pop-up menu, choose "Open file location". The folder where ka.exe is located should open. When you see ka.exe, right click on it and choose Properties at the bottom of the pop-menu.

After you click on Properties in the pop-up menu, a dialog box should appear. At the top of the dialog box should be a tab labeled Compatibility. Click on that tab.

From the Compatibility tab, you want to left-click on the "Run this program..." check box to enable it. Then, you want to select Windows 98/Me from the drop down box. You might also have to select the Privilege Level check box at the bottom to "Run this program as an administrator", which I have checked and I think has helped someone else here that was having problems running the game. Once you have those options checked and selected, you can click on the OK button at the bottom so they take effect. Then, close the folder where ka.exe is located.

To be able to change KA resolution and enhance the overall look of the game, you'll want to install Komat's patches. Granted, some of the info on the website is a little disjointed and technical, if you by-pass the technical stuff, you'll find the patch files you need.

http://jiridvorak.webpark.cz/ka/

These are the three files you want:

Multithreading crash fix - Link listed as "patcher" - ka_multithreading_heap_patch

Resolution enabler - Link listed as "patcher" - kalaunch_resolution_patch

Rendering fix & improvements - Link listed as "Version 1.19 (21.3.2011) - Stable. Source code" - ka_ddraw_1_19

Again, you'll want to download these files to a folder of your choosing or creation, decompress the .rar files, and either click on a executable .exe file or copy and paste a file into the KA folder where you installed the game for the files to work.

To get the "Rendering fix & improvements" ddraw.dll file to enable the visual improvements, you'll have to change your OS's environment variables manually. For W7 thru W10, there is a quick and easy way to access your environment variables. All you have to do is click on the Windows Start icon in the lower left hand corner of your screen. Then, in the Search box, type the word environment or just env because the search seems to find what you need from those few letters. Theoretically, the first option that should come up is "Environment variables for your account". Click on that option to open your Environment Variables dialog box.

In the "Rendering fix & Improvements - Configuration" section of Komat's page is a table of environment variables you can choose. To enter an Environment Variable, under the User Variables for (Your Name/Account), click on the New button. A New User Variable dialog box will open. In the Variable name field, you can type or just copy and paste the variables of your choice from that table on the "Rendering fix & Improvements - Configuration" section of Komat's page. Except for the first two variables listed, all variables have to have a Variable Value of 0 for them to be enabled. For variables D3DEMU_ANISOTROPY and D3DEMU_MSAA_QUALITY, you do have to type the word "max" in lower case letters for those variables to function. There's a post where I asked Komat if D3DEMU_ANISOTROPY and D3DEMU_MSAA_QUALITY values could be entered as numbers from a range. He said you could enter values from 0 to some number that I forget to reduce the affects of those D3D effects if they were too intensive for your video card to handle, i.e. if you got a bit of stuttering video. For the most part, having those D3D variables set to max should be ok.

OS Environment Variable Test Results
viewtopic.php?f=11&t=33523

Once you've got your Variable Name and Variable Value set, click the OK button. Then, click on the New button to enter a new Variable Name and Value. When you're done entering Variable Name and Values, click on the OK button to have them go into effect.

These are my OS Environment Variables for KA:

D3DEMU_NO_CPU_STARFIELD 0 - Disables CPU drawn dots in the starfield for significant performance gain.
D3DEMU_NO_LOCKABLE_Z 0 - Disables emulation of depth buffer reads. Increases speed and might fix compatibility issues with SLI solutions. Enabled automatically on ATI cards. No noticeable visual effect
D3DEMU_UI_30FPS 0 - Allows the UI to be run on 30 fps instead of the default 16. Causes UI stalls on lower end HW or when Fraps video recording is active.

Additional Options that need to be entered manually that make a world of difference.

D3DEMU_ANISOTROPY - 7 or max
D3DEMU_MSAA_QUALITY - 3 or max

D3DEMU_FORCE_BLACK_ALPHA 0 - Improves color consistency between surfaces with light sources (windows/impulse/warp) and surfaces without them.

Afterwards, to start the game, you would click on the KA icon on your desktop. The KA launcher should open. From the launcher screen, you want to click on the Setup button to choose a resolution. You don't necessarily want to choose the highest resolution possible. You'll have to play around to find out what resolution works best for your monitor, video card, and overall computer system. Some high resolutions will over tax all three things and you'll have a less than smooth game experience.

This is a post explaining some other things I do too for game play.
viewtopic.php?f=11&t=33333&p=303060&hilit=Do+not+scale#p303060

That's all I think to post to answer your question. If you have a question, you can still ask, and you can search the forums. You can click on my forum name and then take a look at my past posts that have tech support info in them. Also, you can search the entire forum for a problem via a word search. I'm not the only person here that's posted useful info. So, if you see a name of a member that has posted good tech support info, take note of it and use that person as a resource too.

Let me know if anything was unclear or if you need further assistance.

In the future, I think I'm going to just point people to a post. ;)

Addendum: Here's a PDFed MS Word Doc rendition that might be more helpful and easier to follow for anyone else coming across this thread.

Right click and choose to open in new tab because that function isn't automatically set on this website.

Klingon Academy Install Instructions for Windows 7-10

https://www.dropbox.com/s/s6rqrc0mo8bmz ... s.pdf?dl=0
Last edited by DBF68 on Sat Nov 26, 2016 6:58 am, edited 20 times in total.

teeth_03
Order of Kahless
Order of Kahless

Postby teeth_03 » Sat Nov 19, 2016 1:53 pm

I'm pretty sure you can't install the game with only the DVD Kit. It comes without the main data file for the game if I recall

You can try my download site but it's a little hit and miss sometimes.

http://goodolgaming.com/downloads/index.php?dir=ka/

SMOKEALL1
Warrior Recruit
Warrior Recruit

Postby SMOKEALL1 » Sat Nov 19, 2016 2:02 pm

what should I download and what do I do

SMOKEALL1
Warrior Recruit
Warrior Recruit

Postby SMOKEALL1 » Sat Nov 19, 2016 2:03 pm

what should I download and what do I do

DBF68
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Postby DBF68 » Sat Nov 19, 2016 4:33 pm

teeth_03 wrote:I'm pretty sure you can't install the game with only the DVD Kit. It comes without the main data file for the game if I recall

You can try my download site but it's a little hit and miss sometimes.

http://goodolgaming.com/downloads/index.php?dir=ka/

Maybe Trekcore updated the DVD Kit, because it can be installed in safe mode and work. The only drawback is that the install program will halt on not having the DATA.dat file outside of the KA_1 folder. So, you have to cut and paste the DATA.dat file to outside of the KA_1 folder before the installer will install the game and include the DATA.dat file in the Klingon Academy folder too. Since I haven't downloaded the DVD kit from your web page, I don't know if that installer has the same weird glitch.

To make sure it works minus the DATA.dat file goofiness, I just downloaded the DVD kit from Trekcore this morning and it does install a playable game.

I'll download the one from your web page and see if the installer does the same thing or installs the game minus the DATA.dat goofiness.

9:01 AM 11/19/2016 - Ok, I downloaded the DVD Kit from your web page. Per 7zip, it has all the same files of the same size. When I went to install the game in safe mode, I got the odd DATA.dat file not found outside the folder containing the setup.exe. file. So, I ignored it and installed the game in the same folder where I had installed the Trekcore DVD Kit. KA was playable. So, it appears Trekcore updated that DVD kit with a working copy of KA other than the goofy DATA.dat bit.
Last edited by DBF68 on Sat Nov 19, 2016 10:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.

DBF68
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Postby DBF68 » Sat Nov 19, 2016 5:10 pm

SMOKEALL1 wrote:what should I download and what do I do

You can download the KA DVD Kit from either Trekcore or from Teeth's web page because they're the same file. Then, you can follow the directions I posted above, keeping in mind the new info I posted highlighted in bright green. Afterwards, you need to install and do the things mentioned in my post so you have a functional game.

SMOKEALL1
Warrior Recruit
Warrior Recruit

Postby SMOKEALL1 » Thu Nov 24, 2016 11:35 pm

i need the movies files to make a disc when I try to copy them to the folder it locks up probably because the discs are scratched up! help!

SMOKEALL1
Warrior Recruit
Warrior Recruit

Postby SMOKEALL1 » Thu Nov 24, 2016 11:36 pm

upload all MVE files to somewhere so I can download

SMOKEALL1
Warrior Recruit
Warrior Recruit

Postby SMOKEALL1 » Thu Nov 24, 2016 11:40 pm

or can I do it another way what do I need to make disc all 6 iso files from all 6 discs and the dvd kit file?

Next

Return to Technical Support