KA Vista fixes

formerkauser
Elite Warrior
Elite Warrior

Postby formerkauser » Fri May 13, 2011 8:31 am

Capt. Hughes wrote:...but its still the best Star Trek ship combat sim ever built...

There were only two Star Trek flight sims ever made. ;) I'm not sure I would consider Bridge Commander a flight sim per say, so that leaves Starfleet Academy besides KA.
Formerly known as Koloth. :)

I am the Star Trek purist. :D

KA.com night janitor.

Capt. Hughes
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Postby Capt. Hughes » Thu May 19, 2011 7:27 am

K' PLa Koloth, well I was actually including bridge commander and legacy. it's kind of comforting to see that there are still people interested in the game.
Be excellent to each other
and
Party on dudes! :D

DBF68
Commander
Commander

Postby DBF68 » Thu May 19, 2011 9:01 am

Capt. Hughes wrote:K' PLa Koloth, well I was actually including bridge commander and legacy. it's kind of comforting to see that there are still people interested in the game.
Agreed on BC, disagree on Legacy even after trying that Chris Jones mod to improve it.

If the best of KA and BC could be merged into a single multi-ST era game, that'd be great. Right now, there are some people working on improving BC over and above what Totally Games did, which wouldn't take much. I wasn't a fan of the "Boom-Boom-Bammity-Boom-Puff-Puff-Crappy Cloud" 1995 X-Wing vs. Tie Fighter explosion graphics and sfx in a 2001 game. Oh, and let's not forget the softball size "space dust". That was a really incompetent Trek game implementation among incompetent implementations. As for STO, I wouldn't touch it with a ten foot tribble. ]http://stexcalibur.com/[/url]
Warning, we have entered Neutral Zone, Warning.....

DBF68
Commander
Commander

Postby DBF68 » Mon May 23, 2011 4:21 pm

Why doesn't this d3demu.log flushing ever work, or at least, work the way I would think it would work? I've got the Wrapper Config Tool. When I use it to configure log flushing, I click in the box "Enable log flushing after each output". Then I click on the Next and Finish button. Afterwards, this variable and value are in my XP Environment Variables area:

Variable Name: D3DEMU_LOG_FLUSH

Variable Value: 0

Now, I would think this value would be a boolean "No", which would disable log flushing. Although, it doesn't matter if the value is 0 or manually changed/edited to 1, the d3demu.log file keeps growing in size because nothing is ever flushed to the point of having just one last entry corresponding to the last time the game was ran.

Also, the only way I've been able to disable KA Academy Logging is by removing the reference from within the XP Environment Variable listing. The Wrapper Config Tool may install and remove the variable and value in the XP environment variable listing, but it doesn't stop the KA Academy Logging. The only way I've found that works is to allow the the Wrapper Config Tool to install the variable and value and then manually deleting it from the XP environment variable listing. Otherwise, the log just grows to megabytes in size.

KOMAT
Warrior Recruit
Warrior Recruit

Postby KOMAT » Mon May 23, 2011 8:19 pm

DBF68 wrote:Now, I would think this value would be a boolean "No", which would disable log flushing.

For almost all wrapper variables the boolean result is based on variable existence. If variable exists, the result is true regardless of value of the variable (I was lazy when I created that). Otherwise it is false. The only two exceptions are the MSAA_QUALITY and ANISOTROPY variables where the value matters.

DBF68 wrote:the d3demu.log file keeps growing in size because nothing is ever flushed to the point of having just one last entry corresponding to the last time the game was ran.

The flushing function does something different than you expect. It ensures that buffers are flushed to the file after each line so the line is not lost if the program crashes afterwards at the cost of slower logging speed.

DBF68
Commander
Commander

Postby DBF68 » Tue May 24, 2011 2:10 am

KOMAT wrote:For almost all wrapper variables the boolean result is based on variable existence. If variable exists, the result is true regardless of value of the variable (I was lazy when I created that). Otherwise it is false. The only two exceptions are the MSAA_QUALITY and ANISOTROPY variables where the value matters.

The flushing function does something different than you expect. It ensures that buffers are flushed to the file after each line so the line is not lost if the program crashes afterwards at the cost of slower logging speed.
Ok. Thanks for the clarification on both points.

Uwe
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Postby Uwe » Fri Jun 03, 2011 4:56 pm

OMG, this is great news!! Since three years I had no more computer allowing me to play KA properly. I dropped in from time to time here to see if there is a solution and finally: success. Great work Komat!! BTW., even having an NVidia grafics card I initially suffered the ATI problem of very low performance. The framerate was below 1 fps, but the Z-buffer issue did the trick for me. If I can find some time I might become active in scripting again.

Uwe

KOMAT
Warrior Recruit
Warrior Recruit

Postby KOMAT » Fri Jun 03, 2011 9:33 pm

Uwe wrote:BTW., even having an NVidia grafics card I initially suffered the ATI problem of very low performance.

Which Nvidia card do you have?

Uwe
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Postby Uwe » Sat Jun 04, 2011 10:35 am

It's an NVIDIA Quadro NVS 290 with a dual screen configuration, resolution 1280 x 1024 on primary and 1024 x 1280 on secondary screen. KA runs on primary screen.

Uwe

IKC-Phoenix
Warrior Recruit
Warrior Recruit

Postby IKC-Phoenix » Fri Jun 10, 2011 7:53 pm

OMFG! this is awsome, i was just outside having a smoke thinking about playing some KA on my P3, and then i came in a youtubed some videos of gameplay and stumbled across this. i must say this is amazing!, KA is my favorite game of all time and ive never given up on it. even screwed around with linux and virtual machines and different os's to try to make it work on my modern machine for years till i just went and found a p3 to play on. im so excited. i really hope this brings the game back to life! im sitting in the gamespy lobby right now waiting to get it all installed and set up. thank you so much for this! awsome work!

IKC-Phoenix
Warrior Recruit
Warrior Recruit

Postby IKC-Phoenix » Fri Jun 10, 2011 11:33 pm

Ok i must be missing something, is there not supposed to be a ddraw.dll file for this fix to work and if so where do i find it?, i see it mentioned on the site that contains the res and multi-thread fix but theres no link to actually download anything relating to the graphical fixes? ive patch my game with the multi-thread patch and the res patch but i still get screwed up white flashing all over the place, any help?

IKC-Phoenix
Warrior Recruit
Warrior Recruit

Postby IKC-Phoenix » Fri Jun 10, 2011 11:36 pm

never mind, i found it lol

IKC-Phoenix
Warrior Recruit
Warrior Recruit

Postby IKC-Phoenix » Sat Jun 11, 2011 12:01 am

AWSOME it works! hit me up for a multi player skirmish anytime people. and again good job!!

RCgothic
Order of Kahless
Order of Kahless

Postby RCgothic » Thu Jun 16, 2011 7:23 pm

I can has KA again? :eek: KOMAT you are a legend. Will try an install on my vista machine later.
RCgothic

XuQube
Warrior Recruit
Warrior Recruit

Postby XuQube » Thu Jun 16, 2011 8:20 pm

I CAN PLAY KA?! OMG I AM SO HAPPY right now.

I havent played KA since i was in UFF and Confederation Fleet back in the day. Anyone meet up on gamespy yet for MP games?

IKC-Phoenix
Warrior Recruit
Warrior Recruit

Postby IKC-Phoenix » Thu Jun 16, 2011 9:47 pm

yes, me and smurf have been, need to get more people involved tho. im on gsa nearly all the time now. if anyone is free tonight come online and have a battle!

RCgothic
Order of Kahless
Order of Kahless

Postby RCgothic » Fri Jun 17, 2011 8:11 am

The white flashes are gone! Joy! KA is playable again. :D

I couldn't get the hyperthreading fix to execute, despite being in the same root folder as ka.exe, which was odd, and I still get the occasional crash, particularly when I'm destroyed.
RCgothic

IKC-Phoenix
Warrior Recruit
Warrior Recruit

Postby IKC-Phoenix » Fri Jun 17, 2011 3:30 pm

what i did to make the hperthreading fix work was copy my ka.exe and the hyperthreading patch to a folder on my computer, in this case, the desktop, which i knew i had full write access permission. for some stupid reason windows 7 wont let you edit or save files anywhere in the program files folder. after i patched it, i copied ka.exe back to the KA folder. also running the patcher as administrator may help.

RCgothic
Order of Kahless
Order of Kahless

Postby RCgothic » Sun Jun 19, 2011 2:40 pm

IKC-Phoenix wrote:what i did to make the hperthreading fix work was copy my ka.exe and the hyperthreading patch to a folder on my computer, in this case, the desktop, which i knew i had full write access permission. for some stupid reason windows 7 wont let you edit or save files anywhere in the program files folder. after i patched it, i copied ka.exe back to the KA folder. also running the patcher as administrator may help.

That worked, thanks!
RCgothic

Highlander
Major
Major

Postby Highlander » Thu Sep 08, 2011 1:27 am

Im running x64bit and the 1.02 patch wont run, anyone got a pre extracted patch?
"I dont care who you are, here is to your dream."

PreviousNext

Return to Technical Support