KA Vista fixes

KOMAT
Warrior Recruit
Warrior Recruit

Postby KOMAT » Sun Mar 20, 2011 11:24 pm

Well, I am still getting crashes to desktop - but at least the damn thing is playable once again!

Do you have the multithreading fix applied as well? Also you might want to check your drivers. For example for me the KA works fine with my on-board sound card while it looses sound and has problems with my usb headphones.

el_flesh wrote:annnnd...where do I put that ddraw.dll???

To the directory where the ka.exe is.

el_flesh
Warrior
Warrior

Postby el_flesh » Mon Mar 21, 2011 12:20 am

Oh yes, it's the first thing on your page. I put that in KA directory and ran it....

I'm wondering if it's from my Logitec Wingman Force - some other people were mentioning their joystick causing the crashes...

....yaaaa after exiting the profiler program I didn't get any crash...will see with more playing. The .dll made the nebulae alot more realistic looking! Thanx for that!!! Atmosphere in space is SO important!

But I don't think nebulae would look that large and certainly that bright out in space. Dunno, have to ask the astronauts who've actually BEEN there!

Gowron99
Warrior Recruit
Warrior Recruit

Postby Gowron99 » Mon Mar 21, 2011 2:09 pm

Hi! My first post here!
I won't lie - probably wouldn't register here if not thanks to Komat's work with updating Klingon Academy. THANK YOU! The game works like a charm.

One question though - maybe I don't remember correctly but I'm almost sure that there were graphics shown during warp flight when I first played the game on Windows 98. Usually starcharts. Now they don't show up. The ship goes to warp, everything stops for a second and I end up in another star system. Is it something wrong with my computer*, or is it a common "problem" (it's not a big deal - just curious).

Thanks once more Komat!!!

*Windows Vista,
2GB RAM,
GeForce Go 7300

Parias
Warrior Recruit
Warrior Recruit

Postby Parias » Mon Mar 21, 2011 3:30 pm

I actually noticed this too, the mid-mission out-of-system warp images no longer appear. I wasn't sure if this was just because the transitions load so darn fast these days or if something else had broken them.

KOMAT
Warrior Recruit
Warrior Recruit

Postby KOMAT » Mon Mar 21, 2011 7:49 pm

Parias wrote:I actually noticed this too, the mid-mission out-of-system warp images no longer appear. I wasn't sure if this was just because the transitions load so darn fast these days or if something else had broken them.
It is likely the same problem as with the message boxes I mentioned in announcement of 1.18. The game draws the warp screen and then stops drawing anything for duration of the load so the image is never shown by the wrapper. Unlike the message boxes it also stops processing of all windows messages so the timer message which I added in 1.18 to fix the message boxes does not arrive.

KOMAT
Warrior Recruit
Warrior Recruit

Postby KOMAT » Mon Mar 21, 2011 9:12 pm

Actually the messages were stopped for only part of the load. The main problem was that the game rendered the loading screen in way which confused the 3D/UI mode detection in the wrapper. The 3D mode uses explicit Flip calls from the application to update the screen while the UI mode uses the timeout. The loading screen was detected as 3D mode yet it does not call Flip so the image was never updated.

New version of the wrapper (1.19) detects this situation and corrects it. Hopefully it will not break something else.

Parias
Warrior Recruit
Warrior Recruit

Postby Parias » Tue Mar 22, 2011 3:05 am

Testing seems to show it works so far - thanks!

DBF68
Commander
Commander

Postby DBF68 » Tue Mar 22, 2011 7:21 am

Wow! :eek: I finally got around to checking out those OS environment variables and setting them in Win XP, i.e. D3DEMU_ANISOTROPY and D3DEMU_MSAA_QUALITY. Using Kt'Hyla's Fed Constitution, I went from having the USS Jaggiprise to having the USS Whoa Momma! She's seriously smooth now. :D

At first, I didn't think there was going to be much of a difference if at all any. Over the years, I've heard about how this or that rendering technique was supposed to improve game visuals a certain way. Although, most of the time the effect wasn't all that noticeable. Other times, it was such a resource drain on your hardware and system when you tried to push it to a noticeable improvement point that it just wasn't practical. What you'd end up with more than not was a slide show for a game and an overheating cpu and gpu.

To think I've been playing quick battles in Lego Trek format until now. :)
Warning, we have entered Neutral Zone, Warning.....

Stilkdog
Warrior Recruit
Warrior Recruit

Postby Stilkdog » Fri Mar 25, 2011 4:14 am

SFA doesn't seem to work still (Main Game). Every time I try to load a Mission up, I get a script error.

"DEBUG

ERROR DURING EXECUTION: EXTERNAL VERIABLE EXITED ALREADY EXIST.

CURRENT SCRIPT: SCRIPTS\CONTROL.INT PROCEDURE MOUSEDOWNPTR"

Picture of it bellow.
http://img683.imageshack.us/i/sfabug.jpg/

Then once you click OK black screen. Also seems like the mouse moves very sluggish in the Menus (same thing when I get that error).

KOMAT
Warrior Recruit
Warrior Recruit

Postby KOMAT » Sat Mar 26, 2011 12:19 pm

Stilkdog wrote:SFA doesn't seem to work still (Main Game). Every time I try to load a Mission up, I get a script error.

I played few missions and loaded few old saves and never encountered this problem. I have both the base game and the Chekov's Lost Missions datadisk installed.

Stilkdog
Warrior Recruit
Warrior Recruit

Postby Stilkdog » Sat Mar 26, 2011 2:44 pm

KOMAT wrote:I played few missions and loaded few old saves and never encountered this problem. I have both the base game and the Chekov's Lost Missions datadisk installed.

Same, as to why I don't get the issue. I'm going to try and reinstall the game and see if that was the issue.

KOMAT
Warrior Recruit
Warrior Recruit

Postby KOMAT » Sat Apr 09, 2011 10:31 pm

I added a new version (1.20). Improves compatibility with Nvidia 3D Vision for KA if D3DEMU_3D_VISION exists. Obviously as the game was never created to handle that, there are glitches like broken image in the PIP view or cloaking field having a depth. The most annoying issue is the target reticle which is drawn at the screen level. While it can be disabled in the options, doing so complicates the aiming so the 3d mode is more for use in a casual fights than some serious combat.

Revan
Warrior Recruit
Warrior Recruit

Postby Revan » Sat Apr 16, 2011 4:25 pm

Komat you are awesome! I thought my days of playing this game had finally ended!

I have played the entire single player campaign and the game runs flawlessly :)

Here are two video's at 1920x1080:

Destraex
Warrior Recruit
Warrior Recruit

Postby Destraex » Thu Apr 21, 2011 3:39 pm

kombat I am posting my appreciation. I will now because of you be able to play this games campaign... for the very first time.....

hats off to you....

Hidden Agenda
General
General

Postby Hidden Agenda » Wed Apr 27, 2011 7:16 pm

Do you know if the way the game will shroud weapon objects and phasers in the nebula 'clouds' (for want of a better word) but not the torpedo graphics in the gfx folder (that are not attached to an .lwo file) is a similar issue to the various .pcx problems?
-----------------------------
You know the difference between
me & you? I make this look good!

KOMAT
Warrior Recruit
Warrior Recruit

Postby KOMAT » Thu Apr 28, 2011 8:24 pm

Hidden Agenda wrote:Do you know if the way the game will shroud weapon objects and phasers in the nebula 'clouds' (for want of a better word) but not the torpedo graphics in the gfx folder (that are not attached to an .lwo file) is a similar issue to the various .pcx problems?

The game applies some nonzero fog for the phasers however the torpedoes are drawn with no fog.

Hidden Agenda
General
General

Postby Hidden Agenda » Fri Apr 29, 2011 10:16 am

Is that something that could potentially be sorted by the wrapper?

KOMAT
Warrior Recruit
Warrior Recruit

Postby KOMAT » Sat Apr 30, 2011 8:38 pm

Hidden Agenda wrote:Is that something that could potentially be sorted by the wrapper?

Not easily. The fog strength is calculated by the game so the wrapper does not know how to calculate it to be consistent with the other parts of the scene nor it does know that some rendered geometry is the torpedo graphic.

Hidden Agenda
General
General

Postby Hidden Agenda » Sun May 01, 2011 3:07 am

KOMAT wrote:Not easily. The fog strength is calculated by the game so the wrapper does not know how to calculate it to be consistent with the other parts of the scene nor it does know that some rendered geometry is the torpedo graphic.

Ahh well, will look to make all torpedoes .lwo files then, no dodgy graphics look that way.

Capt. Hughes
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Postby Capt. Hughes » Mon May 09, 2011 3:34 pm

Just want to say THANK YOU! :) I salvaged an older HP with 2ghz P4 and GX5400 vid card to play. but after XP service pack 2 even that had a few bugs. gonna give this a try. I know the game is old but its still the best Star Trek ship combat sim ever built and thank to this site and the modding community this is still one of ther most fun games to play

Q'Pla!
Be excellent to each other
and
Party on dudes! :D

PreviousNext

Return to Technical Support