Klingon Academy DVD Help

Darth Raven
Order of Kahless
Order of Kahless

Postby Darth Raven » Fri Feb 24, 2006 1:59 am

Hmm, I burned the DVD, installed KA from the DVD, it all looks good and works fine till I hit New Game, and it asks me for Disk 2, then I get a black screen, then it crashs (saying KA.exe has cause an error)... even though the DVD is in the drive... why would everything else work, but the movies don't load? Weird...

I checked the site and my DVD complies to all the specs and everything you listed as being needed (named KA_1 and it has the same space taken up as yours did). No clue why it won't load though.
( [email="raven808" [@] gmail [.] com] | My Klingon Academy Mods )

John
Chancellor
Chancellor

Postby John » Fri Feb 24, 2006 12:52 pm

Can anyone else confirm the problem that Darth is having?

Thanks
I'm telling you Teal'C if we don't find a way out of this soon I'm gonna loose it. Loose it, it means go crazy, nuts, insane, bonzo, no longer in possession of ones faculties, 3 fries short of a happy meal, WHACKO!

1DeadlySAMURAI
Order of Kahless
Order of Kahless

Postby 1DeadlySAMURAI » Fri Feb 24, 2006 5:45 pm

nope. works fine for me.

thou i didn't burn it. i just made in ISO image and mounted it with deamon tools.

Darth Raven
Order of Kahless
Order of Kahless

Postby Darth Raven » Fri Feb 24, 2006 7:25 pm

Hmm, okay... now it doesn't crash, it just sits there with a black screen while trying to find the movie. But it doesn't load. weird this is lol.

LT Fox Fire
Warrior Recruit
Warrior Recruit

DVD read on different drive

Postby LT Fox Fire » Sat Mar 04, 2006 7:50 pm

I created the DVD but my question is this; I installed KA originally from my D: (cd-rw) drive, but my DVD is the E: drive (hence the drive I created the DVD KA_1 in. Since I installed it on the D: drive and the DVD is on the E: drive, I tried playing the KA game (with the 1.02 patch so it plays from the HD), it seems it cannot read the movie files from the DVD drive. Would I habe to have an install from that drive (DVD) to get the movies to play?
Riker: Mr Worf. What do we know about that old Klingon Bird of Prey out there? Does it have any weaknesses?

Worf: Yea, about 10 photon torpedoes.

Darth Raven
Order of Kahless
Order of Kahless

Postby Darth Raven » Sat Mar 04, 2006 9:02 pm

On mine, if I tried to read the disk from my normal DVD drive it said there not valid files, they are only read-able from my DVD-R+W drive.

teeth_03
Order of Kahless
Order of Kahless

Postby teeth_03 » Sat Mar 04, 2006 10:37 pm

seems to be a valid issue anyway, I just tested it myself, and the game wont load the movies if its in my other drive, altho it will autorun when I put the disc in,it can read the disc. I loaded up a mission and it said to insert disc 2.

I think you have to use the same drive as you installed it with, I think it was that way even with the CDs...this is most likely one of the very few things thats saved in the registry or something for KA...

LT Fox Fire
Warrior Recruit
Warrior Recruit

Thanks

Postby LT Fox Fire » Sun Mar 05, 2006 2:03 am

Good deal. Im re installing my O/S this week and I can try that out on the new install. Thanks for all the hard work on the project.
Riker: Mr Worf. What do we know about that old Klingon Bird of Prey out there? Does it have any weaknesses?

Worf: Yea, about 10 photon torpedoes.

Aoav160
Warrior Recruit
Warrior Recruit

Postby Aoav160 » Thu Mar 16, 2006 11:30 am

Love it! It worked as advertised. If you would like a little Paypal just PM me.

Matt
Cry woe, destruction, ruin, loss, decay; The worst is death, and death will have his day.

Darth Raven
Order of Kahless
Order of Kahless

Postby Darth Raven » Sat Apr 08, 2006 3:17 am

WOO-HOOOOOO! I went out and got some new drivers for my DVD drive and the KA DVD works WONDERFULLY now! Thank you John! This is freakin awesome. No more switching discs lol.

Lost Samurai
Warrior Recruit
Warrior Recruit

Problem with the installer

Postby Lost Samurai » Sat Apr 08, 2006 9:48 am

Hi, I created the DVD as per the instructions, but when I try to install the setup program always locks up. It does this just after installing all the main files, when "Registering Fonts" appears. I googled it and it looks like it may be the setup program itself.

Anyone have any suggestions?

Darth Raven
Order of Kahless
Order of Kahless

Postby Darth Raven » Sat Apr 08, 2006 10:17 am

re download the DVD pack from the main page, looks like one of the files is corrupted

Gareth
Major
Major

Postby Gareth » Sat Apr 08, 2006 2:57 pm

Hey there, I've only just burned it all to a DVD, but after it finished, all it says to me when I try to access the DVD is this:

Windows cannot read from this disk. The disk might be corrupted, or it could be using a format that is not compatible with Windows.
OK, this is what I did:
1) d/led DVD pack & extracted it into the folder E:\games\KA_1
2) transferred all the movie files from all 6 CDs to E:\games\KA_1\Movies
3) named the DVD volume: KA_1
4) I used this Burn4Free program to burn the DVD

the blank DVD btw, is a 'Verbatim' DVD-R make, and my DVD Drive Model is a TOSHIBA DVD-ROM SD-R5112 [plus CD-ROM Drive, all-in-one]

EVERYTHING should've worked, but it didn't - how come? :(
Borg Queen: "we bring chaos... into order"

Seven: "comforting words, use them next time instead of 'resistance is futile', you may enlicit a few volunteers"

Darth Raven
Order of Kahless
Order of Kahless

Postby Darth Raven » Sat Apr 08, 2006 6:07 pm

That was a 'Data' DVD aye, not a 'Media' DVD?

Gareth
Major
Major

Postby Gareth » Sat Apr 08, 2006 9:46 pm

errm, not sure what the difference is exactly [I thought you could put either media or data on a DVD and it'd work]?

Seven: "comforting words, use them next time instead of 'resistance is futile', you may enlicit a few volunteers"

Darth Raven
Order of Kahless
Order of Kahless

Postby Darth Raven » Sun Apr 09, 2006 3:31 am

Nope.

Movies go on 'Media' DVDs (read from most standard DVD drives/players). Computer files and programs, etc, (which can only be read on a computer) go on 'Data' DVDs.

Gotta go out and get yourself a 'Data' DVD m8. I did the same thing when I first got my drive lol.

Gareth
Major
Major

Postby Gareth » Wed Apr 19, 2006 7:05 pm

ok then, I bought a set of 5 DVDs that are BOTH Data + Video [I DID click on the button that said "burn Data" as well] but the same thing happened again :(

Darth Raven
Order of Kahless
Order of Kahless

Postby Darth Raven » Thu Apr 20, 2006 6:05 am

A DVD that is both Data and a Video?! Wow... I've never seen one of those before... huh. Weird m8 lol.

Mine are either Data or Media DVDs.... when I burn movies I use the Media DVDs, when I backup my files, I use a Data DVD.

Gareth
Major
Major

Postby Gareth » Thu Apr 20, 2006 8:01 pm

Darth Raven wrote:A DVD that is both Data and a Video?! Wow... I've never seen one of those before... huh. Weird m8 lol.

Mine are either Data or Media DVDs.... when I burn movies I use the Media DVDs, when I backup my files, I use a Data DVD.
I tried finding a bigger picture, but this is what it looks like [mine was a 5-pack one tho]:

Darth Raven
Order of Kahless
Order of Kahless

Postby Darth Raven » Fri Apr 21, 2006 11:26 am

wow, okay. Guess my store doesn't have that kind :(.

Make sure it's formatted for Data use though. When you first put the DVD into the drive, go to "My Computer" and right click on your DVD drive, then hit format. If it gives you an option between Data and Video, select Data. Then burn your disk.

PreviousNext

Return to Technical Support