Klingon Academy DVD Help

John
Chancellor
Chancellor

Klingon Academy DVD Help Thread

Postby John » Sun Feb 19, 2006 1:13 pm

This thread is for questions regarding the Klingon Academy DVD Kit, see here for further details.

Questions asked here will also be posted on the above page.

Thanks!
I'm telling you Teal'C if we don't find a way out of this soon I'm gonna loose it. Loose it, it means go crazy, nuts, insane, bonzo, no longer in possession of ones faculties, 3 fries short of a happy meal, WHACKO!

SurlyB!tch
Warrior Recruit
Warrior Recruit

Fantastic news!

Postby SurlyB!tch » Mon Feb 20, 2006 1:02 am

This is great, John! I'd always wondered what had happened with this project. I'm downloading the setup files now!

Cheers!
SurlyB
Never attribute to malice what can be adequately explained by stupidity. - Nick Diamos

teeth_03
Order of Kahless
Order of Kahless

Postby teeth_03 » Mon Feb 20, 2006 1:53 am

john...do you think you could explain how you made the 334 meg download so people can do it themselves without downloading

did u basically just copy everything from the discs onto the DVD, and edit the Disc.txt file so the game dosent ask you to insert another disc when playing the missions?

EDIT- wait,lettme guess-

the download ISO is basically disc 1 correct? except you decompiled the data.dat,installed the patch,changed the disc.txt,and recomplied it?

***EDIT 2***

just nevermind....

I do have the first FAQ you can use-

Q: Can I make the downloaded file myself?

A: No, the downloaded file contains a new installer that you must use with the DVD. It contains files that had to be changed to allow all the campaign movies to be on one disc. If you made a DVD without following the instructions, chances are you wouldn't be able to play the campaign because KA would not know that the 'Disc 2-6' movies were on 'Disc 1'.

Darth Raven
Order of Kahless
Order of Kahless

Postby Darth Raven » Mon Feb 20, 2006 10:16 am

Not quite... you can put all the movies on your HD (or disk) and it won't ask for all the disks when you play through the missions. JBurrows did that a long time back ;).
( [email="raven808" [@] gmail [.] com] | My Klingon Academy Mods )

teeth_03
Order of Kahless
Order of Kahless

Postby teeth_03 » Mon Feb 20, 2006 12:31 pm

maybe if you put all the movies in a MOVIE folder in KA, it wouldn't need to read a disc

but I am 95% sure John had to change the disc.txt file,the file that tells KA which missions use what discs.

John
Chancellor
Chancellor

Postby John » Mon Feb 20, 2006 1:23 pm

This was a few months ago but I think I changed it to:

k01x.int 1
k02x.int 1
k03x.int 1
k04x.int 1
k05x.int 1
k06x.int 1

And so on :)

However, I do think KA checks the local movies directory first to see if the movie it needs is there. If it's not (which by default it never will be) then it just looks up which disk its on.
I'm telling you Teal'C if we don't find a way out of this soon I'm gonna loose it. Loose it, it means go crazy, nuts, insane, bonzo, no longer in possession of ones faculties, 3 fries short of a happy meal, WHACKO!

Capt. Hughes
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Postby Capt. Hughes » Mon Feb 20, 2006 3:57 pm

Great work! I'm getting an average of 90k down right now and then will follow the additional directions to move the movies over. Thanks a bunch! :D

Darth Raven
Order of Kahless
Order of Kahless

Postby Darth Raven » Mon Feb 20, 2006 6:45 pm

John wrote:However, I do think KA checks the local movies directory first to see if the movie it needs is there. If it's not (which by default it never will be) then it just
looks up which disk its on.

Yep yep... told ya so Teeth! *raspberries*

John
Chancellor
Chancellor

Postby John » Mon Feb 20, 2006 8:05 pm

So can anyone confirm this is a worker?

Darth Raven
Order of Kahless
Order of Kahless

Postby Darth Raven » Tue Feb 21, 2006 10:03 am

My next day off is thursday, so by friday I should be able to post about it working or not... d/ling the file now, I'll rip KA within the next two days. If it does work (which I'm sure it will) this will kick major butt.

Darth Raven
Order of Kahless
Order of Kahless

Wooooohooooo!

Postby Darth Raven » Wed Feb 22, 2006 10:57 am

I had time after work to extract all the files and such.

1. It was a perfect install except that when you click the option to extract the DAT file, it extracts it to the main KA directory... so I have about 1,000 files all over the main dir lol. If it could be made to extract the DAT file to a sub-directory like "C:\Program Files\Klingon Academy\DAT" it would be easier on those who chose the Extract Dat option (not sure if it's possible or not... just an idea).

2. I also noticed that the default directory for install is "C:\Program Files\Klingon Academy" which works, but might mess up the modders who make auto-installers which are set to the C:\Program Files\14 Degrees East\Klingon Academy directory.

Other than that it's great :):). I don't know if you know of these "issues" or not, just letting you know.

Thank you so much for this John and Fox, this kicks booty. No more "Please insert disk" crap... wooohoooo!

John
Chancellor
Chancellor

Postby John » Wed Feb 22, 2006 2:39 pm

1. This is by design, so that files can simply be changed and have that change show up in the game without having to move files around.

2. Anyone who hard codes an installer to a specific path (drive/directory) that a user can't change, needs to rethink how they make there installers :)

1DeadlySAMURAI
Order of Kahless
Order of Kahless

Postby 1DeadlySAMURAI » Wed Feb 22, 2006 6:06 pm

i got the fourth cd from a buddy and i've made the dvd now. works excellent.

Darth Raven
Order of Kahless
Order of Kahless

Postby Darth Raven » Wed Feb 22, 2006 7:11 pm

John wrote:Cool, i'll address the issues:

1. This is by design, so that files can simply be changed and have that change show up in the game without having to move files around.

2. Anyone who hard codes an installer to a specific path (drive/directory) that a user can't change, needs to rethink how they make there installers :)

I will look into adding an option of moving the dat files to there own directory though.

John

1. Okay, thought it might be something like that.

2. LOL.

Just ideas :). Any news on the DVD cover? I gotta find a free label printing program now lol.

John
Chancellor
Chancellor

Postby John » Wed Feb 22, 2006 9:57 pm

I do have one here but it's jpeg, i can't find the right cd at the moment. So as soon as Fox gets his ass on msn, i'll ask him to send over the right files :)

teeth_03
Order of Kahless
Order of Kahless

Postby teeth_03 » Wed Feb 22, 2006 10:26 pm

if you are going to reupload a new download, you should add a Gamespy arcade installer,to replace the original Mplayer one,if you havent done so,but its not on the list of features.

I think it should have it tho, because some of us select few still play online ;)

oh,and Raven,about the movies thing, you appearently missed when I said that KA 'probably' reads from the KA directory *IF* the movies are there. Now since the installer dosent install the movies, editing the disc file had to be a must,so.... :p

John
Chancellor
Chancellor

Postby John » Wed Feb 22, 2006 10:50 pm

GSA is indeed in the ISO image (the full 3.3GB one) but was left out of the Kit download to cut down filesize but I will include it in the next upload.

teeth_03
Order of Kahless
Order of Kahless

Postby teeth_03 » Wed Feb 22, 2006 10:56 pm

cool beans

Darth Raven
Order of Kahless
Order of Kahless

Postby Darth Raven » Thu Feb 23, 2006 4:59 am

Awesome... and I'd take a JPG, I use that format most of the time anyway.

Fox McCloud
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

Postby Fox McCloud » Thu Feb 23, 2006 9:37 pm

the cover.....erm...
"Cry woe... destruction... ruin and decay.
The worst is death, and death shall have his day."[/align]

Next

Return to Technical Support