Official KA Support Thread

pyros24

Postby pyros24 » Wed Jun 14, 2006 2:22 pm

Darth Raven wrote:Radeon is evil... I don't believe KA likes it one bit.

My dinky little win 98se machine is almost ready, gotta love windows 98, it uninstalls the basic ide drivers then asks you for the driver for the ide, which just happens to be on the cdrom you now have no access too because it uninstalled the ide bus :/

and its running an nvidia card :)

pyros24

Postby pyros24 » Thu Jun 15, 2006 3:12 pm

Dinky littly 98se machine rulez! 3 hours play no crash.

Edwin
Warrior Recruit
Warrior Recruit

Postby Edwin » Fri Jul 07, 2006 6:35 pm

"error initializing hardware D3D mode 640x480"

and it crashes, ran dxdiag and was fine, it worked last time i played....

Gordon Finlay
Elite Warrior
Elite Warrior

Postby Gordon Finlay » Tue Jul 18, 2006 2:10 pm

Hello everyone.

I know its been a while since I've posted, but I come asking for advice. You see, I recently upgraded my system, and now KA refuses to play correctly. There is a continuous black shutter-effect, almost like a strobe. I feel like I'm playing KA in a techno-rave, only with opera playing in the background instead of Euro-disco-shit. I was wondering if anyone happens to know of a possible solution.

The system specifications are as follows:
Pentium D 2.8GHz
1GB Memory (400MHz DDR2)
512MB ATI Radeon X1900XT video card
Sound Blaster X-Fi Fatal1ty sound card
And a pair of cheap headphones.

Any suggestions?

Play
Warrior
Warrior

Postby Play » Tue Aug 15, 2006 6:28 pm

edwin seems u have upgraded ur graphics card driver, because I had a similar problem...(and got the same error code, also I couldn t scan for resolutions in SETUP) if ure using the new nvidia detonator driver I think it has to do with them (90.xx) so get some 80.xx driver and it should work.

gordon u re prob appears to be the fire-lag issue which u can solve by reading the modding FAQ point 11 or so. when u get new hardwar u get a new system installed (probably) and then u get maybe other acpi settings. ka won t work with acpi multiprocessor when u only have one so u have to set it back to acpi , but BE CAREFUL with that., I lost many data due to a wrong setting and the forward occuring problem..

RedHotChiliDog
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Postby RedHotChiliDog » Mon Aug 21, 2006 1:28 am

Play wrote:edwin seems u have upgraded ur graphics card driver, because I had a similar problem...(and got the same error code, also I couldn t scan for resolutions in SETUP) if ure using the new nvidia detonator driver I think it has to do with them (90.xx) so get some 80.xx driver and it should work.

I just ran into this exact same issue myself.

I was using one of the 80.xx series drivers and upgraded to the latest 90.xx driver. After the upgrade, I could no longer get KA to start without getting this error message. I played around with the configuration settings, but could not get anything to work, so I had to roll-back to the previous driver version :(
RedHotChiliDog

Klingons and Potato Chips are better with ridges.

brianmoler.com - Mission scripting and other strangeness

Play
Warrior
Warrior

Postby Play » Mon Aug 21, 2006 10:20 am

yes its really disturbing... I think its because of the new supported hardware for nvidia chipsets. they improve the newest cards but support ols cards and games even less :(
They also implemented this new settings screen in windows system controls whick is really crap !

RedHotChiliDog
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Postby RedHotChiliDog » Tue Aug 22, 2006 7:03 am

Yeah, I did not really like the old Nvidia console, but the new one was really bad. For the short time that I used the 90.x driver version, I took advantage of their option to use the legacy console instead of the new one.

I hope that future driver versions will somehow incorporate the backward support necessary to run those D3D compatibility modes in 640x480 because it will hurt games like KA if they do not.
RedHotChiliDog

Klingons and Potato Chips are better with ridges.

brianmoler.com - Mission scripting and other strangeness

Play
Warrior
Warrior

Postby Play » Tue Aug 22, 2006 9:12 pm

For the short time that I used the 90.x driver version, I took advantage of their option to use the legacy console instead of the new one.

haha I also did this, was really happy when I found it xD.

There also flashes a ballon pop up which tells me I have a "SLI capable card" although I don t think so it is lol. But the worst is I couldn t get this ballon pop up TO STOP and every time I started the comp it was "there" grrr.

SquireJames
Warrior Recruit
Warrior Recruit

Postby SquireJames » Wed Feb 21, 2007 11:51 pm

Hello there folks

Well, I decided to repurchase KA, since my original was bought from a Car Boot sale some years back and had a CD (CD No.5) missing. I bought an original unopened copy of KA from a company in California. Its a beautiful thing I tell you, new fresh unopened game thats 7 years old.

Howwwever, it refused to acknowledge the CD once it had been installed, so I installed the 1.02 US Patch, and now it works. However I have an issue that every 5 minutes or so, usually while firing weapons, it crashes with a "Sorry for the inconvience but this program has crashed" error, standard WinXP problem. I am running it in 98 Compatability mode, and as far as I am aware the graphics card in this PC is a GeForce MX4000 CPU Integrated, not the best I know but it is my wifes PC not mine, mine is still across the atlantic.

Soooo any help would be appreciated.

Squire James
You are beaten! stop running! you'll only die tired!

Klingon Academy 2 The General War
Go to http://www.armada2files.com for news updates, and http://mods.moddb.com/8071/klingon-academy-ii-the-general-war/ for further details details

SquireJames
Warrior Recruit
Warrior Recruit

Postby SquireJames » Fri Feb 23, 2007 5:51 am

SUCCESS!!!

I set my refresh rate overide to 60hz in 1024x768 (like the anti-firelag threads suggest) and, got all the way through "Unto the Breach" with no crash, so, she works :D on XP :D despite Microsofts best attempts to make my games obsolete. Funny how Crimson Skies, their own game from 2000 works fine, but I have to jury rig KA. Conspiracy? LOL

Squire James
You are beaten! stop running! you'll only die tired!

Klingon Academy 2 The General War
Go to http://www.armada2files.com for news updates, and http://mods.moddb.com/8071/klingon-academy-ii-the-general-war/ for further details details

Shiro ClanClan
Warrior Recruit
Warrior Recruit

Postby Shiro ClanClan » Tue Apr 03, 2007 2:14 am

That's really funny, 'cause I can't seem to get Crimson Skies to work but KA works fine.

Well, except for one thing. All the normal ships in the game work fine. But when testing a few mod ships (namely the NX- and NV-class starships) I find that warping out of a system crashes the game. Screen turns black, sound loops, then game CTDs.

Changing the emulation mode to Windows 95 prevents the game from crashing at this point, with the effect of making a strange-looking warpout (letterbox disappears and strange lines come off of the ship) and causing random crashes at different points in-game. Using the game in XP mode runs just fine, save for this warpout crash.

I remember something from a while back about increasing the number of polygons allowed by the game... something to do with that?

Maaaan, it was so much easier back on Windows ME... :rolleyes:
What!? You dare defy the CtarlCtarl Empire!?

-Aisha ClanClan

teeth_03
Order of Kahless
Order of Kahless

Postby teeth_03 » Tue Apr 03, 2007 5:47 pm

Shiro ClanClan wrote:Maaaan, it was so much easier back on Windows ME... :rolleyes:

lol,the crappiest of all the Windows :p

I might have to try that refresh rate thing...

Shiro ClanClan
Warrior Recruit
Warrior Recruit

Postby Shiro ClanClan » Tue Apr 03, 2007 9:00 pm

teeth_03 wrote:lol,the crappiest of all the Windows :p

I have to disagree. I'd say 98FE, 3.1 and NT4 were worse off than ME. At least in my experience.
What!? You dare defy the CtarlCtarl Empire!?

-Aisha ClanClan

Palp
Warrior Recruit
Warrior Recruit

Postby Palp » Mon Jul 23, 2007 4:24 pm

I have trouble running the patch due to using XP 64, and the patch exe is incompatible with it. I can however extract the exe with powerarchiver. I wonder if the exe does anything more then jsut extract the files into the game folder?..perhaps runs apff102.exe in some way.. Also, how do I know with language version I have so I know to use US or UK patch? Any files I can check that are different betwene them?
Edit/Delete Message

RacerX
Commander
Commander

Postby RacerX » Tue Jul 24, 2007 1:29 pm

Palp there is no reason why you should not be able to extract the patch and place it in the game..after all there is not alot to the patches unless you extract the .dat..

as for language ?? if your game is speaking english,,, use the US patch...there is honestly no differance in the patches except for the language.

Palp
Warrior Recruit
Warrior Recruit

Postby Palp » Tue Jul 24, 2007 8:10 pm

So, do the patches extract the .dat file when run normaly? Also, it seems that the files in the US and UK patch are all identical except Patch.txt so yeah it wouldnt matter which one I used.

Play
Warrior
Warrior

Postby Play » Wed Jul 25, 2007 10:18 pm

in my version (german) of the game the patch.dat won t be extracted, just put into the main directory, but also the data.dat is not extracted. I think u can easily copy the patch files into the main dir.

Palp
Warrior Recruit
Warrior Recruit

Postby Palp » Wed Jul 25, 2007 10:48 pm

ok..thanks :)

JackExtreme
Warrior Recruit
Warrior Recruit

Postby JackExtreme » Sat Oct 13, 2007 1:26 pm

Hello..

For all folks who has this problem with the setup.exe
I have a workaround... Copy the CD to Directory on your HDD and rename the Bitmap-Folder. Start the setup.exe directly from the HDD while the setup give the Bitmapfolder his stockname. End the Installations and play...

PreviousNext

Return to Technical Support