Official KA Support Thread

teeth_03
Order of Kahless
Order of Kahless

Postby teeth_03 » Wed Mar 01, 2006 9:55 pm

*points to nvidia card*

I always blame that,lol,its prolly something to do with your GFX card...try older versions of drivers perhaps

Scotty
Order of Kahless
Order of Kahless

Postby Scotty » Wed Mar 01, 2006 10:09 pm

been there, done that, no effect.
Beam this up!

Hash
Warrior Recruit
Warrior Recruit

Postby Hash » Fri Mar 03, 2006 3:14 am

Nivida... Very evil and picky with what games run with them... Take Grand Theft Auto: SA for example... ATI cards run it avrage to good... Nvidia runs damn near perfect because the game was coded with Nvidia in mind...

Now take Klingon Academy... Nvidia was just a puppy when the game came out... They dont know how to code older games, they just take a guess and hope it runs, which KA does run.... but with countless bugs. I have a ATI and my card runs the game sweet but... I do get crashed out at times... It cant cope with running at top speed, cuz the bench-mark was maybe 700mhz running on windows 98... Now XP with anyware from 1ghz to now dual core processors running at 2ghz each with memory thats 100 times faster. But we mannage :)

Scotty
Order of Kahless
Order of Kahless

Postby Scotty » Sun Mar 05, 2006 4:42 am

Well, if i get a good bonus this year maybe I will consider changing my vid card but my rig is only 5 months old!
Beam this up!

Aoav160
Warrior Recruit
Warrior Recruit

Postby Aoav160 » Tue Mar 14, 2006 2:38 am

Kang wrote:Despite the fact that it can be a b!tch to run at times, I will have to say that Klingon Academy is absolutely the best game that I have ever played on any gaming platform, PC or otherwise. There is no other game quite like Klingon Academy imho and none has provided me great gaming memories like KA has throughout the years. Not a day goes by without me thinking about KA and the images of ingame battle that enter my mind. Klingon Academy is to me like Star Trek II: The Wrath Of Khan is to the Trek movies. I have yet to see something that can top them both in my books. When there comes a point in time where we can no longer play Klingon Academy due to changes in PC software and hardware that would make the game completely incompatible (hey it's inevitable), or move on from PC gaming, KA will always live in our hearts and memories as perhaps the best and most fun gaming experience of all time. Long live Klingon Academy! :)

P.S. I'll keep you posted when it comes to the rest of the missions. Qapla'

same here. still play it once a week. still haven't put SFC 1/2/3/OP or any other ST games back on my box.
Cry woe, destruction, ruin, loss, decay; The worst is death, and death will have his day.

klingon78
Warrior Recruit
Warrior Recruit

Postby klingon78 » Thu Mar 16, 2006 12:31 pm

Hi!
I have one big question to all KA fans. It is written that patch 1.02 fixes all known bugs in KA but it is not true. There is one big and very irritating bug. Assault Phaser of Sword of Khaless class BB has both incorrect range [15000k instead 30000k] and accuracy [it almost always misses]. Am I only lucky one and only in my KA is this bug present?

Scotty
Order of Kahless
Order of Kahless

Postby Scotty » Thu Mar 16, 2006 3:41 pm

Well, I've never heard the 1.02 patch was purported to fix all bugs but it does fix some major glitches. Funny, but I hadn's noticed about the A-Phaser's range only being 15000k. That is easily adjusted thru the SHP file for the SoK.

As far as the weapon's innacuracy, that happens with my KA as well. Actually, I was going to post a question concerning that. The Sok, the Yamato and any mod ship, especially the Galaxy-X from All Good Things, will miss the target at point blank range. I found that if you target a ship when it it at extreme range the weapon seems to hit it's mark but if you wait until you are at close range the damn thing shoots off at some crazy angle harmlessy into empty space. I'd sure like to know what gives and if there is a way to correct it.
Beam this up!

teeth_03
Order of Kahless
Order of Kahless

Postby teeth_03 » Thu Mar 16, 2006 10:42 pm

smart AI with ECM perhaps? lol

Darth Raven
Order of Kahless
Order of Kahless

Postby Darth Raven » Fri Mar 17, 2006 8:02 am

Or the cone angle in the shp files set wrong... that's happened to a few modders I've found.
( [email="raven808" [@] gmail [.] com] | My Klingon Academy Mods )

Scotty
Order of Kahless
Order of Kahless

Postby Scotty » Fri Mar 17, 2006 3:50 pm

Hmmm, never thought to check the cone angle. That mega phaser on the Gal X is the worst one I've seen for this problem. The damn thing shoots off at crazy angles, sometimes straight up on down and you can't hit the broad side of a star base with it. I'll have to play around with the cone angle numbers and see what happens.
Beam this up!

Kt'Hyla
Order of Kahless
Order of Kahless

Postby Kt'Hyla » Fri Mar 17, 2006 7:14 pm

Try changing the 'inaccuracy' value as well, it's the value right after 'cone angle'. It's presumed that it doesn't actually do anything, but I wonder if it might kick in on values greater than 0...

KA.com Modding FAQ.......KA.com Modding Tutorials

"They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety." -Benjamin Franklin

Scotty
Order of Kahless
Order of Kahless

Postby Scotty » Sun Mar 19, 2006 5:51 pm

Yeah, I thought about messing with that at first, then after reading your tutorial I saw it was presumed inoperative. I'll change the numbers around and see what happens.
Beam this up!

klingon78
Warrior Recruit
Warrior Recruit

Postby klingon78 » Mon Mar 20, 2006 12:05 pm

No, it is not enemy’s ECM etc. It is bug and only new patch can fix it. I have crazy idea how we can get it. We all know how they [Interplay, Activision and whoever has now rights to ST games] think. They are like Ferengi=profit is most important. We can use it for our advantage. We all want 2 things: first, KA should work without problems on XP and second, all bugs should be fixed. We [all KA fans] must convince them of our will to buy this new refitted KA edition. Only when they smell money they will give us what we want. And this refitted KA is worth of our money, right? I will buy it for sure.

teeth_03
Order of Kahless
Order of Kahless

Postby teeth_03 » Mon Mar 20, 2006 12:56 pm

that be Interplay

if they wanted profit,they would sell licenses for the source code, and this trek game would be on top for sure ;)

Scotty
Order of Kahless
Order of Kahless

Postby Scotty » Mon Mar 20, 2006 4:09 pm

I've only seen this glitch happen on mod ships, not the OEM KA ships. You are correct, it's not the enemy ECM, I've tested it by disabling the ecm on my opponent's ship and the same thing happens. So far I have only tried setting the cone angle to 10 and the inaccuracy to 1, the Gal-X is much better but occasionally I still get a wild shot.

My problem is that KA seems to have a mind of it's own and just when I thought I had it semi-stable I am getting a lot of CTDs again. The Galaxy Class ships from DPS, although beautiful, really cause a lot of crashes and it ALWAYS crashes when the Galaxy does it's final explosion. I wish I knew hpw to correct this.

As far as Interplay is concerned, forget about ever seeing any KA revisions or updates. They fired the entire development staff and the company itself almost when out of business. I see they have just re-opened a web site but it is still incomplete. I guess you could try emailing them, heck, I'd even sign a petition but I'm pretty sure it would fall on deaf ears.
Beam this up!

Raven
Warrior Recruit
Warrior Recruit

Postby Raven » Wed Mar 22, 2006 9:29 pm

Scotty wrote:My problem is that KA seems to have a mind of it's own and just when I thought I had it semi-stable I am getting a lot of CTDs again. The Galaxy Class ships from DPS, although beautiful, really cause a lot of crashes and it ALWAYS crashes when the Galaxy does it's final explosion. I wish I knew hpw to correct this.

Have you tried checking the settings for explosions under Options? Maybe adjust the slider a bit. If the debris count is too high maybe it's too many points for KA to handle or something... I know the Galaxy Class's are big ships.

Worth a try.

Darth Raven
Order of Kahless
Order of Kahless

Postby Darth Raven » Wed Mar 22, 2006 9:43 pm

haha, that's the new account I started awhile back, when it was giving me problems logging in to this account... my bad, someone can delete these 2 posts if they want lol.

KAAF-ÅÑG£¦ Øf УÄTH-W
Major
Major

Postby KAAF-ÅÑG£¦ Øf УÄTH-W » Sun Apr 02, 2006 12:28 pm

i gotta bug to where when i go to pick a ship they are all greyed out.....then my cursor disappears.....happens everynow and then

pyros24

Can't believe i'm doing this.

Postby pyros24 » Wed Jun 14, 2006 7:37 am

Okay so i've got tired of trying to get KA work on my new P4 3.4ghz with shiny 360gb sata drive and Radeon X800 256mb oh and not forgetting 2 bloody gigabyte of DDR2 memory and Audigy 4 sound card. with windows xp 64 professional

Today is the day I rebuild my old 1800 duron system with bad sound and windows 98se
Will let you know how it goes, I DO have room on my desk for 2 pc's just see if I don't
:D

Darth Raven
Order of Kahless
Order of Kahless

Postby Darth Raven » Wed Jun 14, 2006 10:00 am

Radeon is evil... I don't believe KA likes it one bit.

PreviousNext

Return to Technical Support