Insert CD2 all the time...

Vidmaster
Warrior Recruit
Warrior Recruit

Insert CD2 all the time...

Postby Vidmaster » Fri Apr 10, 2020 1:31 pm

Hey everyone :roll:

I wanted to replay my Klingon Academy. To that end, I employed the following steps:

* first, installed the game from my proven Klingon Academy DVD ISO, which I have used since forever
* instead of employing Komat's divine gift of compatibiliy patches as usual, I downloaded the Combined Patch, which is really awesome by the way :roll:
* using the new Launcher, I configured the game to 1920x1080 and a few other things
* since the new Launcher's install-movie feature did not seem to be compatible with my DVD, I copied all Movies from the DVD to a directory "... \ Klingon Academy \ Movies" which I created
* the game works no problem, but acts like no CD is inserted, requesting me to insert CD2 :evil:

I have attempted to mount both the DVD as well as my original CD2 image (thank god for my old backup drive) but both to no avail. Note that both the ISOs and the DVD-generated from them are legal copies of my original set of CDs (US-release) and that they worked on countless occasions before.

I suspect the problem is the setup of my new (Windows 10) PC here, my new PC lacks any sort of CD-ROM drive and, more importantly, has harddrives at B:, C:, D: at the moment.

Is KA hard-coded to expect a drive at D: ? I am absolutely certain that mounting the ISOs into another drive letter worked on the previous PC, but that one still had a physical drive at D:

Gonna retry this soon on my old laptop, which both did run the game in the past and still has a physical drive, but obviously I would like to get it to run on my new PC as well. Advice?

John
Chancellor
Chancellor

Re: Insert CD2 all the time...

Postby John » Sat Apr 11, 2020 3:08 pm

The combined patch assumes an install has been made from original Klingon Academy media or ISO image, the old DVD kit is out of date (has issues with anything post Vista) and the combined patch is not intended to be used with it. The movie installation option in particular is only expecting original media or ISO's of that same media, I do have a new version of the DVD kit in the works which I had to put it aside for a while but will get back to it at some point.

That said this should be fixable, the following is the manual version of what the movie installation option does.

I'm going to assume you are using the r7 combined patch and have KA installed in one of the following installation directories:
64-Bit OS - "C:\Program Files (x86)\14 Degrees East\Klingon Academy"
32-Bit OS - "C:\Program Files\14 Degrees East\Klingon Academy"

To manually copy the movies first open this folder:
64-Bit OS - "%LOCALAPPDATA%\VirtualStore\Program Files (x86)\14 Degrees East\Klingon Academy"
32-Bit OS - "%LOCALAPPDATA%\VirtualStore\Program Files\14 Degrees East\Klingon Academy"

Create a directory in the applicable folder called "MOVIES" and copy all of the MVE files into the directory, if duplicates are detected they can just be ignored or overwritten.

Once this is done open the replacement launcher and right click on the "Settings" button, select the "Video Settings" tab and look for the "Movie Path" section, click the button labelled "..." and use the folder selector to navigate to your installation directory (Note, do not navigate to the VirtualStore folder), once you have selected the directory click OK on the folder selector and then OK on the config editor.

Let me know how this goes.

KA is not hard coded to a specific path for movies but it does need to know exactly where they are. The Movie Installation option is reasonably well tested, if you are really board one day :) you can setup 5 physical optical or virtual optical drives (or combination of the two) with KA CD's 2-6 each in there own drive and movie installer will cycle through them but it will fail with the DVD kit because it expects to find a specific file only on the correct corresponding CD.

You found a mistake I have made though, the movie installation option or the combined patch itself needs to be detecting if it is being applied to the DVD kit - I'm not sure how to go about this but its added to r8 to-do list :)

Vidmaster
Warrior Recruit
Warrior Recruit

Postby Vidmaster » Sun Apr 12, 2020 11:32 am

Now I am confused somewhat, so lets go through this point by point:

John wrote:The combined patch assumes an install has been made from original Klingon Academy media or ISO image, the old DVD kit is out of date (has issues with anything post Vista) and the combined patch is not intended to be used with it. The movie installation option in particular is only expecting original media or ISO's of that same media, I do have a new version of the DVD kit in the works which I had to put it aside for a while but will get back to it at some point.

So yeah, no suprise there. Like I said, I manually copied all the movies to "... \ Klingon Academy \ Movies". The Launcher did detect installed movies afterwards. Anyway, despite not being super-bored, I jumped at the opportunity to test something and to help you out. So, I first removed said Movie-Folder again and did this:

I then tested the Launcher's Movie-Install and everything went ahead fine. Aside from the fact that the directory is now in all-caps, aka named MOVIES, everything is as it was before. The Launcher detects a movie install, the kamovies.exe works and the game still asks for CD2 when queried to play the intro, no matter what sort of cd- or dvd-image is currently inserted.

John wrote:That said this should be fixable, the following is the manual version of what the movie installation option does.

I'm going to assume you are using the r7 combined patch and have KA installed in one of the following installation directories:
64-Bit OS - "C:\Program Files (x86)\14 Degrees East\Klingon Academy"
32-Bit OS - "C:\Program Files\14 Degrees East\Klingon Academy"

To manually copy the movies first open this folder:
64-Bit OS - "%LOCALAPPDATA%\VirtualStore\Program Files (x86)\14 Degrees East\Klingon Academy"
32-Bit OS - "%LOCALAPPDATA%\VirtualStore\Program Files\14 Degrees East\Klingon Academy"

Create a directory in the applicable folder called "MOVIES" and copy all of the MVE files into the directory, if duplicates are detected they can just be ignored or overwritten.

While these are very detailed instructions, I fail to understand why, aside from obvious permission-issues under UAC-enabled PCs, this would be relevant. Like I said, manually copying yielded the same results as using the launcher's feature. Note that the launcher did not copy anything into any sub-folder of %LOCALAPPDATA%. Note that I have installed the game under D:\MyNormalFolder\Klingon Academy, for reference. No UAC-permission issue should bite the game in the ass and the launcher created 'D:\OtherGames\Klingon Academy\MOVIES', as stated above.

Now that I have observed what the launcher does, I think the actual issue is the config-generation, since it created the following:
Code: Select all
moviepath = D:\OtherGames\Klingon Academy
MoviePath = E:
joystick = -1

There are two entries :? and the later overwrites the former. Eliminating the later, the game works. I think this may simply be a String-Ordinal-Case-Problem when replacing the config-contents.

John wrote:Once this is done open the replacement launcher and right click on the "Settings" button, select the "Video Settings" tab and look for the "Movie Path" section, click the button labelled "..." and use the folder selector to navigate to your installation directory (Note, do not navigate to the VirtualStore folder), once you have selected the directory click OK on the folder selector and then OK on the config editor.

For reference, I never found this entry, there is no "Video Settings"-tab in the Settings-Menu of the Launcher that came with Combined Patch R7.

TLDR; actually, the old DVD still works fine, one just needs to install the movies manually :cool: and ensure a proper config.

Thanks for the help anyway, happy easter if that is a thing for you :mrgreen:

John
Chancellor
Chancellor

Postby John » Sun Apr 12, 2020 12:14 pm

Vidmaster wrote:While these are very detailed instructions, I fail to understand why, aside from obvious permission-issues under UAC-enabled PCs, this would be relevant. Like I said, manually copying yielded the same results as using the launcher's feature. Note that the launcher did not copy anything into any sub-folder of %LOCALAPPDATA%. Note that I have installed the game under D:\MyNormalFolder\Klingon Academy, for reference. No UAC-permission issue should bite the game in the ass and the launcher created 'D:\OtherGames\Klingon Academy\MOVIES', as stated above.

I don't think I was too clear on this one :oops:, the instructions described a manual version of what the movie installer would do on the assumption that it was installed in one of the Program Files locations I mentioned or some other protected location. For a non protected location such as the one you used the files would not need to be redirected to the VirtualStore.

Vidmaster wrote:So yeah, no suprise there. Like I said, I manually copied all the movies to "... \ Klingon Academy \ Movies". The Launcher did detect installed movies afterwards. Anyway, despite not being super-bored, I jumped at the opportunity to test something and to help you out. So, I first removed said Movie-Folder again and did this:

I then tested the Launcher's Movie-Install and everything went ahead fine. Aside from the fact that the directory is now in all-caps, aka named MOVIES, everything is as it was before. The Launcher detects a movie install, the kamovies.exe works and the game still asks for CD2 when queried to play the intro, no matter what sort of cd- or dvd-image is currently inserted.

Thanks for testing :) There is something odd going on, if the configuration file is correct and the files are present then ka.exe should never be asking for CD2. I will retest on this end in a fresh VM as soon as possible. Just to clarify, did this problem go away when you removed the duplicate entry you found?

On kamovies.exe, this is something that I need to try fixing on the combined patch. On the DVD kit it was modified to read all movies from single disk but it could never read them from the hard drive if I am remembering right.

Vidmaster wrote:Now that I have observed what the launcher does, I think the actual issue is the config-generation, since it created the following:
Code: Select all
moviepath = D:\OtherGames\Klingon Academy
MoviePath = E:
joystick = -1

There are two entries :? and the later overwrites the former. Eliminating the later, the game works. I think this may simply be a String-Ordinal-Case-Problem when replacing the config-contents.

The game or replacement launcher can't be creating the entry formatted as "MoviePath", the game and the launcher will only create "moviepath". I'm guessing "MoviePath" must be something related to the DVD kit but I can't check that at the moment. You might have found a bug with the Movie Installer though if it's not dealing with duplicate entries. As I mentioned the combined patch assumes KA has been installed from retail media but you know what they say about assumptions :) I will create a duplicate movie path and see what happens but it looks like another one for the r8 to-do list.

Vidmaster wrote:For reference, I never found this entry, there is no "Video Settings"-tab in the Settings-Menu of the Launcher that came with Combined Patch R7.

Were you right clicking on the launcher settings button instead of the usual left click? It should look like this after right click:
kacfg.png

This out of game editor for KA settings is mostly redundant, it's been in the past few combined patch releases but I never mentioned it because aside from being mostly redundant its not really tested. It will/maybe edit options.cfg, options.kmf and custom.kmf, it does expose some extra settings not found in the in-game menu but they are not really relevant. This only really exists in the launcher because its practically the same code as something I made to edit some config files on an in-house application at work.

Vidmaster wrote:TLDR; actually, the old DVD still works fine, one just needs to install the movies manually :cool: and ensure a proper config.

Good to know, I can't remember that much about it but I have found the old files for it. The new version will be better :)

Vidmaster wrote:Thanks for the help anyway, happy easter if that is a thing for you :mrgreen:

No problem, happy easter to you too. It's normally happy time off work weekend but at the moment every day is time off work, stay safe :)

Vidmaster
Warrior Recruit
Warrior Recruit

Postby Vidmaster » Sun Apr 12, 2020 7:56 pm

John wrote:Were you right clicking on the launcher settings button instead of the usual left click?

Yes, incorrectly used left click. Hidden feature

Return to Technical Support