Romulan Dawn Missions #1-6 Discussion:

Have you completed/are having trouble/enjoy RD? (Multiple answers can be chosen):

I have completed all 6 missions in a manner befitting a Romulan Commander!
31%
I'm having trouble with figuring out the solutions to the missions...
31%
Romulan Dawn absolutely rocks!
25%
Great game, but there's room for improvement...
13%
This game sucks Tribble larvae...
No votes

Total votes : 16

Whammo11224
Colonel
Colonel

Postby Whammo11224 » Sun Aug 15, 2004 7:58 pm

Admiral Tyrell wrote:The missions ARE standalone. You don't want every single system to be standalone do you? That would be pathetic!

Plus - the reason your getting this message is your KA install. Install Romulan Dawn over a FRESH KA install and warp to the different systems at AT LEAST Warp 6!!

Buy another HD for me and we'll talk about ANOTHER fresh install of KA. I'm wondering how the missions are stand-alone if you have to complete one before moving on to the next one? So what I meant by my first post, is when you run into a little glitch like that at the end of the mission, after completing all of your mission goals, you could still move on to the next one.

You probably thought I was thrasing the conversion (which I wasn't), that might explain your rush to judgement. Don't worry, I forgive you.

I tried the warp suggestion, didn't work for me. I guess years of installing mods finally caught up with me. Any other suggestions would be very helpful.

Thanks
Mod Reviewer KA/NGA

Admiral Tyrell
Commander
Commander

Postby Admiral Tyrell » Sun Aug 15, 2004 8:12 pm

Ok, the RD team want you to complete the missions in order. End of story! That's why they didn't have them all open at the beginning.

Maybe a solution to your problem - backup your systems folder, create a new one and put the Romii system in it. Then try the mission again using warp 6 as a minimum warp speed. Should work fine.

Don't worry. I forgive you

And a little less of the patronising please.

dwyspock
Major
Major

Postby dwyspock » Sun Aug 15, 2004 9:10 pm

[quote="Kt'Hyla"]That should work. Without the modded kas files present, the game will revert back to using stock systems, and it should run okay.

Let us know how it runs, Dwy. ]
Kt'Hyla, it worked! I add two new folders to my ka dir: SC_sys and RD_sys where I hide the system folder and qbsys.txt. perhaps something like this can be added as an update to the next install to recognize different system packs?
Visit my site:

Dwyspock's Klingon Academy Mods
[
Computer: "Welcome to the USS Yorktown." "Enjoy your starship adventure." "And please take all wrappers and other refuse with you when you leave."

Captain Scott: "Nae matter what I do, I canna seem to turn the damned thing off!"

Kt'Hyla
Order of Kahless
Order of Kahless

Postby Kt'Hyla » Mon Aug 16, 2004 2:25 am

Dwy: Cool! Uwe will be keeping tabs on this, so he may have some ideas for a workaround for when he gets back.

Whammo: We were following the same setup as the KA Campaigns, so you have to complete the missions in order to get the story. It's not as important in the first 6 missions, however the flow of the story becomes more important from #7 onward.

Try doing what Dwyspock did, and uninstall all of your modded systems. Or you can just temporarily move them to another folder where KA wouldn't be able to access it. It's a pain in the butt, but we didn't anticipate modded systems, of which can change the positions of the systems, making the travel time longer between some systems.

KA.com Modding FAQ.......KA.com Modding Tutorials

"They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety." -Benjamin Franklin

Whammo11224
Colonel
Colonel

Postby Whammo11224 » Mon Aug 16, 2004 3:57 am

Admiral Tyrell wrote:Ok, the RD team want you to complete the missions in order. End of story! That's why they didn't have them all open at the beginning.

Maybe a solution to your problem - backup your systems folder, create a new one and put the Romii system in it. Then try the mission again using warp 6 as a minimum warp speed. Should work fine.

And a little less of the patronising please.

If I back up the system folder and make a new one, aside from the Romii system what other systems should go in there?

Will KA just use the stock system, is that hidden/hard-coded in the KA folder?

Thanks

P.S. Sorry for the other comment.
Mod Reviewer KA/NGA

Kt'Hyla
Order of Kahless
Order of Kahless

Postby Kt'Hyla » Mon Aug 16, 2004 5:06 am

Pretty much everything, save the Romii system, is just stock. Only the Romii system needs to be in there.

"They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety." -Benjamin Franklin

Uwe
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Postby Uwe » Mon Aug 16, 2004 12:29 pm

I will setup a fix for the modded systems issue in the september update for RD when I am back from vacation.

Up to this time, if you have trouble, just rename your system folder, create a new empty one and copy romii.kas from the old to the new folder. This will fix it.

The RD missions are intended to be playes in sequential order, just like KA

Uwe

Whammo11224
Colonel
Colonel

Postby Whammo11224 » Mon Aug 16, 2004 1:39 pm

Mission #2.

Now that was a dirty trick! :) You guys know what I'm talking about.

Thanks
Mod Reviewer KA/NGA

Admiral Tyrell
Commander
Commander

Postby Admiral Tyrell » Mon Aug 16, 2004 2:27 pm

Whammo11224 wrote:Mission #2.

Now that was a dirty trick! :) You guys know what I'm talking about.

Thanks

Yep, and it seems to be totally random each time as well, so you can't even get prepared for it in the next attempt!

Kt'Hyla
Order of Kahless
Order of Kahless

Postby Kt'Hyla » Mon Aug 16, 2004 2:35 pm

You're welcome! ;) I found it very useful to have my finger on the "o" button until the trick happens...

Trey3
Captain
Captain

a thankyou note

Postby Trey3 » Sat Aug 21, 2004 4:20 pm

i just finished the RD missions and to me they was a little hard but very very fun .i think y'all done a great job. at the very end during the movie what appeard freeked me out i didn't expect that :) thanks for some good fun i can't wait for the next installment. once again thankyou to all that made this. :D
Capt Kirk and orginal USS Enterprise and crew #1 too me, Deep Space 9 is #2 for me.

Admiral Tyrell
Commander
Commander

Postby Admiral Tyrell » Sun Aug 22, 2004 5:52 pm

Fan-bloody-Tastic Guys!

Just finished 'em all. Very good job! Was some of the best fun I've had in KA since it was released! Missions didn't crash ONCE! And the ending movie was fantastic!!!!!

Can't wait for the next instalment now!!!!

Kt'Hyla
Order of Kahless
Order of Kahless

Postby Kt'Hyla » Sun Aug 22, 2004 11:22 pm

Whew, for a while there I was worried that they'd be too easy, but I keep forgetting that we've been testing them for a while. Thanks for the compliments guys, our aim is to please! :D

The cutscene was Uwe's idea, and we bounced a fair number of ideas back and forth til it came out as it is. As you may have guessed, it's a direct setup for the next mission, and if you're looking for a little more before the next set comes out, check out Don's novel "Romulan Dawn", available from the Download section on the RD website...

Hudge
General
General

Postby Hudge » Mon Aug 23, 2004 2:52 am

Bug with the first mission. When I enter the Last system with the Romulan ship, the ship is just floating there, can't be scaned, and takes no damage (except crew damage). Im only in the system for about a minute or so (just enough to warp to the target and find out someone loaded blanks in my ship) and then the Genesis explosion warning happens. Then an error message, something about the ship not removing then im stuck because of the error message then the mission fails.

Completely fresh install and patched, has happened 3 times

*Edit* 5th time is the charm

Geppetto: Oh no, I dropped my glasses.
Geppetto: By the way, Pinocchio, there was a cookie missing from the jar, did you take it by any chance?
Pinocchio: Yes Papa Geppetto, I'm sorry.
Geppetto: Are you sure you took it? Because I'd believe you if you said you didn't
Pinocchio: No I took it Papa. I wouldn't lie to you.
Geppetto: You could try. Who knows, you might get away with it.

Hudge
General
General

Postby Hudge » Mon Aug 23, 2004 10:44 am

Just played through, very nice aside from the above mentioned problems. Overall it was pretty good, I did feel that the missions were too easy, the last one was very easy for the final mission I thought. I was so upset at the end, about to beat that final ship, destroyed its warp and had the hull to 49 percent when the end came.

Oh well, nice set up for the end, look forward to the next set

Geppetto: Oh no, I dropped my glasses.
Geppetto: By the way, Pinocchio, there was a cookie missing from the jar, did you take it by any chance?
Pinocchio: Yes Papa Geppetto, I'm sorry.
Geppetto: Are you sure you took it? Because I'd believe you if you said you didn't
Pinocchio: No I took it Papa. I wouldn't lie to you.
Geppetto: You could try. Who knows, you might get away with it.

rllandjr
Warrior Recruit
Warrior Recruit

Postby rllandjr » Wed Nov 16, 2005 8:14 pm

Ok somebody tell me what I'm missing. I cann't figure out how to activate the jamming device in mission 3.

61-CENTURION
Warrior Recruit
Warrior Recruit

Postby 61-CENTURION » Sat Dec 24, 2005 9:23 am

VOS 3-4 to activate jammer.

Previous

Return to Romulan Dawn