Bridge Commander

evan
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Postby evan » Tue Apr 03, 2012 1:43 am

Just go solid state and call it a day ;). Or Raid 0 SSD's for insane write/read speeds :D
420awhp/400awtq :D

teeth_03
Order of Kahless
Order of Kahless

Postby teeth_03 » Tue Apr 03, 2012 3:44 am

Or upgrade from windows xp already, especially the under supported 64 bit version...

DBF68
Commander
Commander

Postby DBF68 » Wed Apr 04, 2012 8:47 am

teeth_03 wrote:Or upgrade from windows xp already, especially the under supported 64 bit version...
Well, I upgrade when I want/need to, not when Microsoft tells me to upgrade. ;) At the moment, I don't have the money nor the inclination. Since XP is going to be security update supported by MS between now and 4/2014, there's no rush to upgrade any time soon.
Warning, we have entered Neutral Zone, Warning.....

formerkauser
Elite Warrior
Elite Warrior

Postby formerkauser » Wed Apr 11, 2012 1:22 am

[quote="DBF68"]Well, I upgrade when I want/need to, not when Microsoft tells me to upgrade. ]

Don't even get me started. There is absolutely nothing that Seven can't do, that can't be done in XP. There is no reason for most people to upgrade. It ****es me off that Microsoft pulls this shit, forces users to upgrade. Because it's software, it's timeless, unless consumable items such as books, toillet paper, etc, software can last forever. But Microsoft with their product release cycle, and forced activation, have created a consumable item out of software, and that's why their sales are roaring quarter after quarter. It also really ****es me off that you can't buy a notebook, or any premanufactured computer these days, without an operating system.
I hate Microsoft and everything they stand for, and I use windows for only games, and use linux for everything else. I like having the freedom (not just free) with using linux and open source software, and not be treated like a criminal and forced to jump through hoops (product activation) for software I legally purchased. Which is also why I am totally against any form of DRM in games, it never affects the pirates as they always find workarounds for it, but it's the honest paying consumer that get hosed.

[/rant]
Formerly known as Koloth. :)

I am the Star Trek purist. :D

KA.com night janitor.

DBF68
Commander
Commander

Postby DBF68 » Wed Apr 11, 2012 8:55 am

formerkauser wrote:Don't even get me started. There is absolutely nothing that Seven can do, that can't be done in XP. ...[/rant]
Yeah, I'm not a shiny bells and whistles kind of guy. I don't buy into a lot of hype. Now, if there's a real benefit to having a newer OS, like greater security or various features, I'll consider an OS upgrade.

Although, when Vista came out, I thought MS should have called it "Windows Euphemism" for all the dumb app name changes they made to apps that still did the same thing. It was like calling Control Panel something like Panel Of Control. When it came to establishing a simple wireless home network connection, I had to jump through an ungodly number of unecessary hoops to get my brother's laptop connected to the wireless router. As far as I'm concerned, newer isn't necessarily better when you add additional layers of bloat just to make your product look different from the previous version.
Warning, we have entered Neutral Zone, Warning.....

formerkauser
Elite Warrior
Elite Warrior

Postby formerkauser » Wed Apr 11, 2012 10:01 pm

DBF68 wrote:As far as I'm concerned, newer isn't necessarily better when you add additional layers of bloat just to make your product look different from the previous version.

No kidding! I was surprised that a basic install of vista was around 7gb, versus xp's 1.5gb. Then to see a basic install of Seven is 10gb. It's rediculous. :eek: :rolleyes:

KA.com night janitor.

teeth_03
Order of Kahless
Order of Kahless

Postby teeth_03 » Thu Apr 12, 2012 12:54 am

formerkauser wrote:No kidding! I was surprised that a basic install of vista was around 7gb, versus xp's 1.5gb. Then to see a basic install of Seven is 10gb. It's rediculous. :eek: :rolleyes:

What you call ridiculous, I call the evolution of software: We don't need to hang on to Windows XP forever.

I work on computers for a living, Windows 7 makes things pretty easy.

Windows 8 will probably put me out of a job.

formerkauser
Elite Warrior
Elite Warrior

Postby formerkauser » Fri Apr 13, 2012 1:12 am

I call it bloat, and requiring more processing power to perform the same tasks. I don't call that evolution, but a step backward. Personally I don't care how an operating system is dressed up, I care about usability and function over flashy graphics and fancy interfaces.
That's just my opinion though.

KA.com night janitor.

teeth_03
Order of Kahless
Order of Kahless

Postby teeth_03 » Fri Apr 13, 2012 10:40 am

True, but windows 7's ability to automatically install most drivers is nice :P

If you want to argue the point, windows xp is bloat compared to damn small linux :D

formerkauser
Elite Warrior
Elite Warrior

Postby formerkauser » Fri Apr 13, 2012 10:43 am

True, and it's bloated compared to 98, lol. :D 2000 wasn't bad at 0.99GB though.

KA.com night janitor.

Previous

Return to Other Star Trek Games