Bridge Commander

Mauler85
Elite Commando
Elite Commando

Bridge Commander

Postby Mauler85 » Sat Oct 15, 2011 3:02 pm

I am looking for a cheap (possibly free ;) ) way to get bridge commander as I don't have $83 for amazon and cant stand ebay. Maybe some website that sells old trek games for dirt cheap? I would like to try Excalibur. please help!!
Bilbo: But what about the Ewoks?
Tim: Jar Jar makes the Ewoks look like *beep* Shaft!

DBF68
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Postby DBF68 » Mon Oct 17, 2011 1:30 am

Well, what you would play since ST-Excalibur is still in development? ;) I pop my head in there every so often, but I haven't seen anything released yet. Still, it'll be interesting to see what these guys create.

Although, I was not a fan of the Kobayashi Maru mod and the most recent version of NFX wasn't all that great. My affinity for Totally Games is about as low as it is for Interplay when they basically ported over a lot of their Star Wars crap special effects. Hopefully ST-Excalibur will be a lot better, minus the shield crackling sound and crappy graphics when you got too close to a planet's atmosphere.

There's always eBay, but it's not much better:

http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_nkw=PC+Games+%2F+Star+Trek-+Bridge+Commander&_trkparms=65%253A12%257C66%253A4%257C39%253A1%257C72%253A5212&rt=nc&_dmpt=Video_Games_Games&_sticky=1&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14&_sop=15&_sc=1
Warning, we have entered Neutral Zone, Warning.....

Mauler85
Elite Commando
Elite Commando

Postby Mauler85 » Thu Oct 20, 2011 9:56 pm

*sigh* I long for a Warp capable ship to do a time warp back to when this game was released. Truthfully I would just play the game lol I was one of the few who enjoyed it.

DBF68
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Postby DBF68 » Fri Oct 21, 2011 11:20 am

Mauler85 wrote:*sigh* I long for a Warp capable ship to do a time warp back to when this game was released. Truthfully I would just play the game lol I was one of the few who enjoyed it.

FYI, John may or may not like me talking about torrents. In the past (10 or so years ago), it's been a forbidden topic. Although, being that KA and BC were more or less jacked up abandonware by their respective publishers, i.e Interplay and Activision, I don't think he's going to have a problem with it in this regard. As far as I'm concerned, Activision's pathetic, whiney, flimsy reasons for wanting out of their ST licensing agreement amounted to, "Waaah, Viacom won't hold our hand after buying the ST gaming license". What, you're only a "leader in the industry" when someone else is leading the way?

As far as the moral and ethical usage of torrents is concerned, my pov is that if a torrent program is used as part of your job and you get paid as a result of using that program, you have a moral and ethical obligation to buy it when you can afford it. Also, if you use a program often "and" use a majority of its features regularly, you should buy it. The only time I don't believe it's necessary to buy a program is if you use it infrequently "and" you don't use a majority of the program features. That said, student discounted software rocks.

In the case of high end program 30 day trials, I'm not inclined to consider buying the program unless my usage meets the first two moral and ethical obligation criteria. As I see it, high end program 30 day trials are more for people that use those programs on a regular basis. High end program 30 day trials are not for the every day nooby person that barely knows how to use the program. High end program 30 day trials are for people that already have a higher than average experience and expertise level of usage. So, high end users are going to get more out of testing the new features and evaluating whether or not they want to buy the program than some novice just futzing around with it on an infrequent basis.

My current pov is the opposite of how I used think 10+ years ago, but my experience and observations over the years has led to my current thinking. Maybe I'm wrong. Even so, I'm more than happy to entertain a different pov.

-----

There are torrent sites where you can get a copy of STBC. I use BitComet to peruse some sites to see who might have something I want. Using BitComet's limited and not updated torrent site search box; one of the torrent sites is apparently an abandoned website; I came up with a few places that have STBC seeded/leeched for download.

The only drawback I could see from reading some of the post comments is that not all copies for download were complete, i.e. some stuff was missing. Then, there was another issue with STBC apparently needing the CD to be in the drive to play the game. Although, some of the torrent downloads included a crack to get around that issue.

So, you could download and install BitComet and configure it properly by walking through the configuration options page. Then, you could use it to try and find a copy of STBC. Whatever you do download, after unzipping/uncompressing it with the program used create the downloadable file, make sure you scan it with your antivirus/malware program.

Torrents are notorious for having files for download that contain viruses, trojans, keylogger programs, and other malware. So, whenever I download and unpack a file, I use a couple of antivirus/malware programs to scan the folder containing the unpacked files. Because they're both free, I use Commodo AV/AS & Malwarebytes.

Now, if you don't know it already, some AV/AS/AM (AM = Anti-malware) software will detect some program cracks as trojans. Then, they will either quarantine them or delete them outright based on how the AV/AS/AM program is configured by default or by the user. Generally with these programs, you do have the option to have a quanrantined file ignored and replaced where it was found if you feel/know that the file is ok. Also, sometimes an AV/AS/AM program will also detect false positives and deem a file as infected because it's failed a hueristics profile scan, but the file is fine.

In the case of a crack "included with a program" from a torrent, it's sort of a leap of faith to trust that the person providing the crack isn't actually trying to infect computers purposely or by accident. I said "included with a program" because, to some extent, it's probably better to trust a crack provided with a torrent program rather than a crack offered as a download by itself that's "said" to be for a program. One good way to get a feel for whether or not a torrent program is ok to download is to read the user comments from anyone that's downloaded a file. People with torrent site accounts are very quick to comment and let everyone else know that a particular file download is infected with some kind of malware. So, it helps to read torrent file user feedback to see if anyone had any problems, alerts, or workaround solutions.

formerkauser
Elite Warrior
Elite Warrior

Postby formerkauser » Wed Oct 26, 2011 12:31 am

No matter how you want to justify it, torrenting games and other software that is not public domain is not legal. Just because a company may have forgotten about it or stopped supporting it long ago, does not mean they have released it to the public domain.
Now while this forum is very laid back and has very low traffic, posting links to illegal torrents could get John in trouble and jeapardize ka.com. Any links posted will subsequently be deleted. If you want to share links, do it via PM.
There is ebay and the Amazon marketplace to find old out-of-print games. There are some good deals to be had if you look around. I would encourage you to use those resources instead.
Formerly known as Koloth. :)

I am the Star Trek purist. :D

KA.com night janitor.

DBF68
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Postby DBF68 » Wed Oct 26, 2011 3:20 am

formerkauser wrote:No matter how you want to justify it, torrenting games and other software that is not public domain is not legal. Just because a company may have forgotten about it or stopped supporting it long ago, does not mean they have released it to the public domain.
Now while this forum is very laid back and has very low traffic, posting links to illegal torrents could get John in trouble and jeapardize ka.com. Any links posted will subsequently be deleted. If you want to share links, do it via PM.
There is ebay and the Amazon marketplace to find old out-of-print games. There are some good deals to be had if you look around. I would encourage you to use those resources instead.

I do have a problem with people torrenting current games (1-3 years old). When Steam offers a current game for a lot less than full price 6 months to a year later, sometimes $5 or $10, I'd prefer to buy the game. If I can't afford a current game, not that I play anything current, then I won't be playing it.

To me, the legal positions regarding product and IP hold validity up to a point. In the case of KA and BC, they just don't hold a lot of relevant water anymore. This point is especially true when these games were abaondoned by their respective publishers as soon as they could get them out the door (Interplay & Activision). In the case of Totally Games, they haven't done a big title game in years because they've move on to small platform games (cell phone games).

The potential problem with eBay and Amazon is price gouging due to greed and to scarceness of the product. I don't care about the academics of supply and demand when it comes to a 10 year old game. I do care about a fair price, like maybe $10 that includes free shipping and handling, not $30 or near full retail price. That's not to say that I'd ever post a link to a torrent, which I wouldn't do. The last thing I'm going to do is post something that'll get John in hot water and jeopardize this site, regardless of how inactive it might be at this time.

formerkauser
Elite Warrior
Elite Warrior

Postby formerkauser » Wed Oct 26, 2011 3:59 am

Fair use falls under two guidelines. Either to make a backup copy of something you own for personal use, or for news reporting agencies when using pictures and articles from other sources.
Unless a company officially releases it's IP to the public domain, it in fact remains private intellectual property, and does not fall under fair use. There are no "abandonware" laws that cover that either.
So unless it's released as free software from the vendor or IP holder, any links otherwise are considered illegal downloads, and will be dealt with accordingly. Unless John disagrees with me and he allows it, I will hold to this.
Again, I encourage you to seek legal avenues for obtaining Bridge Commander if you want it. There are tons of copies floating around out there.

KA.com night janitor.

Mauler85
Elite Commando
Elite Commando

Postby Mauler85 » Wed Nov 09, 2011 2:55 am

formerkauser wrote:Again, I encourage you to seek legal avenues for obtaining Bridge Commander if you want it. There are tons of copies floating around out there.

The problem is I am currently unemployed and can't really get out to find a job due to a sick mother. And those avenues all seem to cost money :\

DBF68
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Postby DBF68 » Tue Nov 15, 2011 9:03 am

Mauler85 wrote:The problem is I am currently unemployed and can't really get out to find a job due to a sick mother. And those avenues all seem to cost money :\

I'm not sure if you've got your current email address setup with your KA.com account, but if not, I PMed you a solution 3 days ago.

formerkauser
Elite Warrior
Elite Warrior

Postby formerkauser » Thu Nov 17, 2011 10:51 am

I tried the Bridge Commander demo early this evening, and it was great fun. Awesome graphics and realistic game play. Just over all an awesome Trek experience. I haven't had that much fun in ages. Sorry KA, but I have to conclude that BC is vastly superior to you in every way. I'm definitely going to be purchasing this soon.

KA.com night janitor.

DBF68
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Postby DBF68 » Thu Nov 17, 2011 7:52 pm

formerkauser wrote:I tried the Bridge Commander demo early this evening, and it was great fun. Awesome graphics and realistic game play. Just over all an awesome Trek experience. I haven't had that much fun in ages. Sorry KA, but I have to conclude that BC is vastly superior to you in every way. I'm definitely going to be purchasing this soon.

Yeah, you do get a little spoiled in the eye candy and non-fugly ship department when playing BC vs. KA. ]http://bridgecommander.filefront.com/file/D7_TOS__P81s_fixed;74387[/url]

Were I to do it over again, I'd probably go with disruptor bolts rather than beam weapons. Also, if you do try it, read my comment in the comments section that explains what to do to get the angular velocity and acceleration to work correctly. I made a mistake and didn't resubmit the mod or get a hold of the website modderators to just submit the revised file that would take care of the issue. Part of the reason I didn't make the effort is because I was a little peeved that they didn't mention I was the person that fixed the mod and because they didn't use any of the pics I submitted to show off the ship. ;)

Pics:

D-7 TOS1

D-7 TOS2

D-7 TOS3

formerkauser
Elite Warrior
Elite Warrior

Postby formerkauser » Fri Nov 18, 2011 2:42 am

Oh, I've already been at filefront. ;) That's how I got the demo, and I've been drooling over all the mods. :p

Here's some cool gameplay videos I found. This game has so much potential, and it's amazing what the community has come out with in mods.

<object width="420" height="315"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/8Deak5b6Qy0?version=3&hl=en_US"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/8Deak5b6Qy0?version=3&hl=en_US" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="420" height="315" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true"></embed></object>

<object width="420" height="315"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/ctVOi36YTKM?version=3&hl=en_US"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/ctVOi36YTKM?version=3&hl=en_US" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="420" height="315" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true"></embed></object>

<object width="420" height="315"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/Bse6cMkJLYY?version=3&hl=en_US"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/Bse6cMkJLYY?version=3&hl=en_US" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="420" height="315" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true"></embed></object>

KA.com night janitor.

Mauler85
Elite Commando
Elite Commando

Postby Mauler85 » Sun Nov 20, 2011 11:24 pm

Thanks again. lol Like I said in the PM Real world problems in invading my virtual worlds. lol Mainly getting ready to go back to college. Forgot how much time just getting enrolled and getting grants and scholarships actually takes. Thank God for learning disabilities though or it would take me 3x as much effort! lolz

teeth_03
Order of Kahless
Order of Kahless

Postby teeth_03 » Mon Nov 21, 2011 1:13 am

meh

BC's multiplayer is super lame compared to KA, with the stock game, you have like 5 ships to choose from,and with the KM mod everyone plays, the Feds are vastly superior to the other races that they dont stand a chance, the people who made that mod are Federation fanboys, and don't seem to care about people wanting to play as something other than them

DBF68
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Postby DBF68 » Mon Nov 21, 2011 8:45 am

teeth_03 wrote:meh

BC's multiplayer is super lame compared to KA, with the stock game, you have like 5 ships to choose from,and with the KM mod everyone plays, the Feds are vastly superior to the other races that they dont stand a chance, the people who made that mod are Federation fanboys, and don't seem to care about people wanting to play as something other than them

KM is a giant piece of god ship crap!!! :mad: When I downloaded it, I expected something polished and balanced. What was I got was a lot of overpowered and overweaponed fanboy ships like you mentioned. So, I immediately uinstalled it.

The only potential plus from KM might be to salvage a crappy mod with otherwise good features by deleting all the garbage god ship crap and substituting your own set of ships. You'll play by yourself more often than not, but I'd rather do that than put up with garbage ships firing a 1000 quantum torpedoes all at once. This kind of scenario is why I'm very selective about what I download from BCF.

DBF68
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Postby DBF68 » Mon Nov 21, 2011 9:25 am

[quote="formerkauser"]Oh, I've already been at filefront. ]
Nothing personal, but as nice as some of those vids look, they're lacking in a few ways.

- 1: NanoFx beta version whatever isn't being used in at least one of those vids. So, you still see the same crap X-Wing vs. Tie Fighter puffy cloud explosions. Nice half-assed job Totally Games.

- 2: I noticed tons of rapid fire torps and other weaponry in far greater numbers than I feel is accurate towards the tv shows and movies. It's like these mods have been tweaked for people with Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder that want to see weapons fire and explosions right now and lots of it. Yeah, I saw First Contact and remember the opening battle. I also remember the DS9 Cardassia last stand battle where everyone apparently suffered from "raise shields before battle" amnesia. It looked pretty, but was stupid and insulted my intelligence as a selective Star Trek aficionado.

- 3: The Defiant fanboy ship. I would think both Klingon and Jem'Hadar ships would beat the living snot out of the Defiant or least make it fight for its life. We're talking about ships that are on the order of 7 times larger than the Defiant (JRSD: See 1x and drag and drop ships for comparison.). Instead, you get the Defiant abusing the tractor beam on the Klingon ship that more than likely has enough power to tractor and hold several Defiant class ships. It's like watching a mouse tractor beam and elephant. Sure. Right. Give me a break. :rolleyes:

Yes, in the right hands that realize balanced gameplay with cool ship action and special effects should be mandatory, I think BC can be leaps and bounds better than it was as a shoddy stand alone game. If you pick and install the right mods, you're half way to that point. In the hands of the fanboys and kiddies, BC is just a god ship cluster f*ck. So, I hope the guys of ST Excalibur are veering far and wide from all that garbage.

formerkauser
Elite Warrior
Elite Warrior

Postby formerkauser » Fri Mar 30, 2012 5:06 am

Well I'm back after a long hiatus, sorry for not replying earlier. I haven't played KA or BC in a long time, I might get back to playing them again soon. I really don't have an opinion one way or the other about BC now. :p

KA.com night janitor.

DBF68
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Postby DBF68 » Sat Mar 31, 2012 12:07 am

formerkauser wrote:Well I'm back after a long hiatus, sorry for not replying earlier. I haven't played KA or BC in a long time, I might get back to playing them again soon. I really don't have an opinion one way or the other about BC now. :p
That's ok. Real life trumps fun.

formerkauser
Elite Warrior
Elite Warrior

Postby formerkauser » Mon Apr 02, 2012 6:20 am

DBF68 wrote:That's ok. Real life trumps fun.

I bought a Llano based laptop in January just for gaming, and I've hardly used it. :rolleyes:

KA.com night janitor.

DBF68
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Postby DBF68 » Tue Apr 03, 2012 12:27 am

formerkauser wrote:I bought a Llano based laptop in January just for gaming, and I've hardly used it. :rolleyes:
I understand completely. For Crysis Wars play, I created a new Win XP Pro x64 install on the outermost edge of the hard drive just for gaming purposes. Then, I put the pagefile on the outermost edge of another hard drive along with the games. The idea was to have a small gaming only OS that wasn't loaded down with a lot of services and unnecessary programs. Then, I'd dual-boot between that OS and Win XP Pro x32. Since I don't play Crysis Wars or Aliens vs. Predator online anymore, nor any other PC games at the moment, I've moved over to using the x64 OS as my primary OS.

Next

Return to Other Star Trek Games