FASA's Starship Tactical Combat Sim...

Kt'Hyla
Order of Kahless
Order of Kahless

FASA's Starship Tactical Combat Sim...

Postby Kt'Hyla » Fri Jan 21, 2005 7:20 am

... The computer version, that is! :D It uses the same ship calculations, but takes care of the dirty work.

ST:STCS...

More Ship Stats...

KA.com Modding FAQ.......KA.com Modding Tutorials

"They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety." -Benjamin Franklin

Darth Maverick
Order of Kahless
Order of Kahless

Postby Darth Maverick » Fri Jan 21, 2005 7:29 pm

cool :D
Benvzijl.nl
E-mail: BenvZijl@xs4all.nl
MSN:Admin@BenvZijl.nl

RCgothic
Order of Kahless
Order of Kahless

Postby RCgothic » Fri Jan 21, 2005 8:39 pm

erm...?
RCgothic

Darth Maverick
Order of Kahless
Order of Kahless

Postby Darth Maverick » Fri Jan 21, 2005 11:34 pm

hehehe this RC is from the old days(the very very very old days)
Benvzijl.nl
E-mail: BenvZijl@xs4all.nl
MSN:Admin@BenvZijl.nl

Kt'Hyla
Order of Kahless
Order of Kahless

Postby Kt'Hyla » Sat Jan 22, 2005 8:28 am

In the seventies the ol' Starfleet Battles PnP came out, and when FASA put together their RPG back in the eighties they made a simplified version available, the Starship Tactical Combat Simulator. Interplay later took SFB and made Stafleet Command from it, and KA uses a lot of the same rules, just adapted to a 3D environment.

I should probably make my copy of the Starship Creator available, it was an excelent example of a system for fans to build balanced ships, and might help add insight to our resident Balance Modders efforts.

I had the idea to come up with a component-based system for balancing in KA, but got sidetracked. You can see an example of the construction sheet in the ST:TCS program, however, the programers didn't include the rules or component charts to make new ships...

KA.com Modding FAQ.......KA.com Modding Tutorials

"They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety." -Benjamin Franklin

RCgothic
Order of Kahless
Order of Kahless

Postby RCgothic » Sat Jan 22, 2005 1:49 pm

Woohoo! Finally won a game! My excelsior got kicked in twice. my fed frigaty type vessel couldnt beat two oponents, and neither could a constitution and a frigate beat 3 D7's and a weird ship i dont recognise. Playing that last reverse, 2 of my d7's got anihalated in 1 volley, and then mopped up quite after that. 2nd time around playing reverse, held fire until was certain to hit, then blew the conie out of space. The frigate still got one of my d7's in one volley, but my remaining ships cleaned it up nicely, despite my accidentally assigning no power to anything on my biggest ship for the last turn....erm...and that's taken me two hours. Damn, was meaning to do something else.
RCgothic

Rainz3
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Postby Rainz3 » Wed Jan 26, 2005 5:13 pm

sounds cool will check it out soon.
email - Rainz3@aol.com
Aim - Rainz3
How can I prove my loves not fake
In my voice it trmbles and quakes
Everytime im in your grasp
I cant help but hope it will last
I'd give it all up just for you
Just to gaze into those deep dark blues

el_flesh
Warrior
Warrior

Postby el_flesh » Sat Mar 26, 2011 4:23 pm

It was another Universe. It was another life. It was the 80's.
We found that firing any amount of armed weapons at any phase made all the setup a waste of time. Battle was resolved in the first salvo and the game won or lost pretty quick - often with the OP federation winning.
So we went with book 2 I think page 6A - Weapons could be reduced to one disruptor/phaser bank/missile per firing phase. We allowed one beam and one missile providing there were two separate targets.
We found this to make a pleasurable game that really allowed any given ship's strength to shine.

I have asked the author of the program to allow for one weapon per firing phase, but it hasn't been implemented yet, and probably will not be.

So in the meantime, if anybody would like to play it online, with one weapon shooting per firing phase, please pm me...

el_flesh
Warrior
Warrior

Postby el_flesh » Sun Aug 21, 2011 10:56 pm

...And now slightlysilly seems to be suspended.
For what???

Goddam Paramount being possessive or something for a Fan Project?
Maybe if they got behind the developers so that SHIT games (or games not yet ready) would be released just for some fast $$$$!

We want good Star Trek games. A few of them are great. Alot of them are bland and mediocre. Some of them stink.

FASA's entry way back when was a damn good one.
"We dessstroyed INVADERS...as I shall destroy YOU."

DBF68
Commander
Commander

Postby DBF68 » Sat Aug 27, 2011 1:40 am

el_flesh wrote:...And now slightlysilly seems to be suspended.
For what???

Goddam Paramount being possessive or something for a Fan Project?
Maybe if they got behind the developers so that SHIT games (or games not yet ready) would be released just for some fast $$$$!

We want good Star Trek games. A few of them are great. Alot of them are bland and mediocre. Some of them stink.

FASA's entry way back when was a damn good one.
Actually, it's moved to a location inside of the domain name. i.e. a subdomain, but it's still up and running.

Star Trek Starship Tactical Combat Simulator

http://ststcs.slightlysilly.com/

It’s Alive!

So… Some time ago my previous website at slightlysilly.net was waylaid by pirates. The weather has finally gotten dreary enough that I took the time to bring this site up. Welcome to slightlysilly.com.

Paramount is always going to give ST films and ST gaming the short end of the stick.
Warning, we have entered Neutral Zone, Warning.....

el_flesh
Warrior
Warrior

Postby el_flesh » Wed Jun 27, 2012 1:51 am

OK now the subodeon board for http://home.comcast.net/~ststcsolda/ seems to be down, too!

I hope to hell it's just moving or something for the host!
Does anybody know what the HELL is going on?!?
"We dessstroyed INVADERS...as I shall destroy YOU."

DBF68
Commander
Commander

Postby DBF68 » Wed Jun 27, 2012 4:38 am

el_flesh wrote:OK now the subodeon board for http://home.comcast.net/~ststcsolda/ seems to be down, too!

I hope to hell it's just moving or something for the host!
Does anybody know what the HELL is going on?!?
It's working for me at the moment. It also looks a little different. So, maybe the admin was doing some updating.

Addendum: Take a look at his forum because he posted something on 6/20/2012 about Genesis Waving everything.

http://ststcsolda.proboards.com/index.cgi?board=ststcsoldanews&action=display&thread=1

el_flesh
Warrior
Warrior

Re: FASA's Starship Tactical Combat Sim...

Postby el_flesh » Fri Mar 08, 2013 6:14 pm

Seems everywhere I ask nobody knows how to fix a problem with this game: bad screen sizing.
NOTHING I can do, changing resolutions, changing screen orientation, changing font size worx.

It simply needs a slider bar on the right margin and on the bottom. But nobody seems able to put it in, and I never ever was responded to by Robinson. Maybe he's lost in space...

in the meantime all i can do is play some games on VASSAL with the STSTCS module. I hope people will join, becasue there are a good number of scenarios that I have converted for use in it...can't wait to try "Dare the Impossible".

DBF68
Commander
Commander

Postby DBF68 » Sat Mar 09, 2013 1:24 am

el_flesh wrote:Seems everywhere I ask nobody knows how to fix a problem with this game: bad screen sizing.
NOTHING I can do, changing resolutions, changing screen orientation, changing font size worx.

It simply needs a slider bar on the right margin and on the bottom. But nobody seems able to put it in, and I never ever was responded to by Robinson. Maybe he's lost in space...

in the meantime all i can do is play some games on VASSAL with the STSTCS module. I hope people will join, becasue there are a good number of scenarios that I have converted for use in it...can't wait to try "Dare the Impossible".

Not that I want to play it, but I installed the game and tried an "Observe" mode session. What I noticed at first was that each opposing ship started from a beginning position that consisted of either only half of the top of the screen or only half of the bottom of the screen being visible based their starting point. When each ship got close enough to each other, the view went to a full screen experience while using a resolution of 1920 x 1200. So, if you're talking about the partial view aspect while the ships are too far away from each other before the game reverts to a full screen view when they're closer to each other, I think that's they way this game has been set up to display battles due to ship to ship proximity.

In case you're not talking about what I just mentioned, there was this blurb in the readme file that might or might not help:

KNOWN ISSUES

· Users have reported problems with running the game at resolutions that are not 4:3. It is suggested that the game be played at one of the following resolutions:

1024x768
    1152x864
    1280x1024
    1600x1200

el_flesh
Warrior
Warrior

Postby el_flesh » Sat Mar 09, 2013 1:49 am

Thanx for checkin, but like I said: EVERY resolution and font size (another issue) I could try!

The problem is that when powering up your ship, you can't power the aft shields at all.
Also, this game follows the 1986 rules, which allow for full firing of all weapons at any time. Ridiculous.
My "House of Flesh" rules make the game alot more playable.

Howcum nobody is playing KA tonite?

DBF68
Commander
Commander

Postby DBF68 » Sat Mar 09, 2013 11:49 am

el_flesh wrote:Thanx for checkin, but like I said: EVERY resolution and font size (another issue) I could try!

The problem is that when powering up your ship, you can't power the aft shields at all.
Also, this game follows the 1986 rules, which allow for full firing of all weapons at any time. Ridiculous.
My "House of Flesh" rules make the game alot more playable.

Howcum nobody is playing KA tonite?

Hmmm. I chose the Andor vs. L-9 skirmish and I was able to power up all shield faces including the aft shields during the initial power allocation phase. When I tested the skirmish mode, I clicked on the Status button and all my shield faces were charged. Also, I noticed that when I moved my mouse cursor to the edge of the map screen, the map would scroll in the direction of the mouse cursor. So, I don't know if this map scrolling information is helpful or related to your remark of the game needing a horizontal and vertical slide bar in order to be able to see the opposing ship position in relation to your ship.

As for KA gaming night, I don't play because I like to play the game at the slowest game speed rather than at "X-Wing vs. Tie Fighter" speed. Also, I don't have every ship's macro setting customized. Going through the process of customizing every ship's macro settings; not to mention fixing each damage control file to remove the multiple Shield slider references that invariably cause the Shield slider to be stuck at zero for all damage allocation settings; would take a lot of time that I'd rather spend doing something else. ;)

el_flesh
Warrior
Warrior

Postby el_flesh » Sat Mar 09, 2013 4:11 pm

I'm pretty sure that MP speed is defined by the host? I play it slow too! Just like SFA - my slider is one tick or two above ZERO

Return to Other Star Trek Games