Is this too obscure?

John
Chancellor
Chancellor

Is this too obscure?

Postby John » Wed Aug 14, 2019 3:22 pm

There was a forum spam issue a couple days ago. I tightened the threshold on the two automated spam detection services I use and added a registration challenge question, so far so good. My concern is that the challenge question is a little obscure, the question is "How many lights do you see there?".

Too much?

teeth_03
Order of Kahless
Order of Kahless

Re: Is this too obscure?

Postby teeth_03 » Wed Aug 14, 2019 7:11 pm

"What is the name of the General at the top right of the screen?"

John
Chancellor
Chancellor

Postby John » Wed Aug 14, 2019 11:28 pm

teeth_03 wrote:"What is the name of the General at the top right of the screen?"

Yep, I did want that :) Something is broken at the moment though so I had to pick a question which had a number as an answer.

Vidmaster
Warrior Recruit
Warrior Recruit

Postby Vidmaster » Wed Mar 18, 2020 8:57 pm

Real Star Trek Geeks solve it, everyone else is screwed. Fortunatly, I am a believer and know the difference between Star Trek and the modern rip-off :lol:

el_flesh
Warrior
Warrior

Postby el_flesh » Sat Mar 21, 2020 4:23 am

Either of them are absolutely perfect questions!

Entirely crown what Vidmaster says above!

John
Chancellor
Chancellor

Postby John » Thu Mar 26, 2020 5:44 pm

Speaking of the modern stuff, I have not yet seen any of Discovery or Picard and I never got around to seeing Beyond... I'm slightly behind? I might have to have a binge watch during the quarantine.

WHAT?
Warrior
Warrior

Postby WHAT? » Sat Apr 04, 2020 12:06 am

John wrote:Speaking of the modern stuff, I have not yet seen any of Discovery or Picard and I never got around to seeing Beyond... I'm slightly behind? I might have to have a binge watch during the quarantine.

I'm not the biggest fan tbh of Disco or Picard. You will get your nerdy moments but I feel you get them for a price... Canon lol

el_flesh
Warrior
Warrior

Postby el_flesh » Wed Apr 08, 2020 9:45 am

Perfectly said.

disCRAPery 1st season shits all over canon. Tries to make "Michael" better than Spock. 70's Feminist fanfic at its worst. Season 2 is a waste of time.

Picard isn't much better. Some genuine Trek ideas with Kurtzman soap opera jizzing all over it.

John
Chancellor
Chancellor

Postby John » Wed Apr 08, 2020 2:04 pm

I have now seen Picard. I'm not sure what I was expecting but it was worth a watch, I've seen worse first seasons of shows.

I have been watching The Expanse too, Chrisjen Avasarala is a better professional swearing enthusiast than the Admiral who is in charge of Starfleet in Picard...

Vidmaster
Warrior Recruit
Warrior Recruit

Postby Vidmaster » Fri Apr 10, 2020 1:18 pm

el_flesh wrote:70's Feminist fanfic at its worst. Season 2 is a waste of time.

Nah, whatever your or any other StarTrek-fan's political world views are (which I am entirely uninterested in discussion here), I do think all these discussions about what stance new Star Trek takes on topic A, B or C are entirely missing the point. None of what is infuriating about these new series is about personal, sociological, political or even corporate views.

No, the issue is that the writers think they are incredibly clever and they simply are not. New Star Trek is just very badly written, plain and simple. Stuff just "happens", it is usually far too much, far too fast and it lacks coherence and causality. In my opinion, modern post-2009 StarTrek just fails entirely when it comes to the writing department, there is weirdly constructed drama everywhere, even if there is no logical way at all how this could have happened and if any sensible chain-of-events could lead to it.

Weak storytelling skills cannot be fixed by a label or a franchise or an IP :roll: Even if it would not be named Star Trek, it would be badly written.

el_flesh
Warrior
Warrior

Postby el_flesh » Wed Apr 22, 2020 2:34 pm

Well I don't disagree with what you said at all. Entirely correct.
But I ADD it to what I said - because the bad fanfic ("Weak storytelling skills" + political agenda) tastes absolutely rotten.
The politics shown in previous Trek didn't target the 'bad guys'. Modern Drek does.

Hidden Agenda
General
General

Postby Hidden Agenda » Tue May 12, 2020 11:15 pm

Honestly, Discovery was pretty awful. Got through the first season, not sure how or why I bothered. I stopped in the second season when Tilly, who quickly became one of television's most annoying characters ever, started hallucinating and seeing another incredibly annoying character.

Picard was annoying pretty quickly as well - the character of Raffi who is introduced out of nowhere but somehow has the moral high ground over Picard and calls him JL or something? I can't even remember but even his close friends in Next Gen called him Jean Luc. Felt she shit all over that almost immediately as she was introduced. Maybe I'm just a miserable bastard though.

They both are far too obviously liberal for my liking, pandering pretty much.

The Expanse is simply fantastic though - immediately rocketed up to being amongst the greatest sci-fi series of all time personally. Quite like Altered Carbon as well, although they do go a bit heavy on the let's get the tits out for the nerds stuff.

el_flesh
Warrior
Warrior

Postby el_flesh » Sat May 16, 2020 4:05 pm

You're not at all a miserable bastard despite the SJWs thinking we are.
The miserable bitches would be the girlymen that write that emo/diminishing tripe.

The sheer fucking hubris of those authors.
The sheer. fucking. hubris.

John
Chancellor
Chancellor

Postby John » Sat May 16, 2020 6:16 pm

Altered Carbon... that's good stuff and right up there with The Expanse.

In the past month or so I have now seen all of Discovery, Picard and the last movie.

Short Reviews:

Discovery Season 1 - Despite never seeing any spoilers this was sort of predictable but it did remind me to re-watch Event Horizon.
Discovery Season 2 - Used an entire season to demonstrate that they should really be making a Pike/Number One show.
Picard Season 1 - As mentioned previously, I'm not sure what I was expecting here and while not bad for a first season it was sort of forgettable.
Beyond - Now I'll admit that I was answering a bunch of work e-mail when watching this but for me it still came down to the bad guys highly advanced spaceships being defeated by broadcasting Sabotage...………………. :(

Speaking of Discovery Season 2:
Captain Pike, Lieutenant Spock, and Number One Return for STAR TREK: STRANGE NEW WORLDS

el_flesh
Warrior
Warrior

Postby el_flesh » Wed May 20, 2020 12:58 am

Ya, but I'm only interested in Pike. Not Spork or number none.

Hidden Agenda
General
General

Postby Hidden Agenda » Fri May 22, 2020 12:56 am

As of now, I'm saying top 3 Sci-Fi of all time personally (in no particular order) is Babylon 5, Firefly and The Expanse.

B5 is a bit long in the tooth now and season 1 is largely forgettable which is sad as I think it could put people off but it picks up so well with the introduction of Sheridan. The Mollari/G'Kar interplay, the mystery around the Shadows & Vorlons and the slow burn to the climax of the Earth Civil War is just fantastic television. It was strangely jarring to see Tracey Scoggins as such a badass in Season 5 after only knowing her as Cat in the Dean Cain Superman previously!

Firefly deserved so much more but it had some absolutely wonderful characters. Mal, Jane, Shepherd Book and Saffron are probably my favourites but they almost all bring something to the table. I guess you could say it's not true sci-fi but the mix of science and western was quite appealing and there are definitely episodes that lean much more into the science side of things. It was almost criminal to cut this series short but at least it gained a cult following and got the film.

The Expanse is going strong and personally I felt book 4 was probably the weakest, yet they still managed to make a decent series 4 from it. Introducing elements from book 5 did help with that. Book 5 is pretty good and book 6 which I'm half way through is decent so far as well, so high hopes for the coming seasons. It is, in a basic sense, a bit GoT in space but that's a simple comparison really - hopefully it will have a strong conclusion. Unlike Martin, the authors seem fairly capable to this point of getting one book out a year. It also has some of the best effects probably ever to grace a Sy-Fy show (even if it is Amazon owned now).

Those are my thoughts at least.

Fox McCloud
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

Postby Fox McCloud » Tue May 26, 2020 9:37 am

The problem with the new Star Trek series is that they look and feel nothing like Star Trek.

Rogue One and Mandalorian manage to drop right in to an equally as old franchise without succumbing to HIGH OCTANE, "Dramatic", Lens-flared , swearing, short abrupt story drek. Why is it they can do it, and Star Trek cant?

Both DIS and PIC seem to have, on average, 30 billion executive producers. Too many cooks.... thats probably the problem. The main culprit is Kurtzman

2 seasons of DIS and a season of PIC, the seasons story lines all culminate with terrible finales. Terrible. Dont get me started on that god-damned torpedo in the Enterprise.

teeth_03
Order of Kahless
Order of Kahless

Postby teeth_03 » Tue May 26, 2020 11:17 pm

Tbf, I feel like Star Wars is less forgivable considering it's owned by Disney and has unlimited resources at it's disposal. The whole sequel trilogy is a god damned mess. I have never been so angry watching something than when I left the theatre seeing The Last Jedi.

I am more excited for The Orville than anything CBS can produce with the Star Trek label.

Return to General Discussion