MPlayer / GameSpy KA Multiplayer Information

John
Chancellor
Chancellor

MPlayer / GameSpy KA Multiplayer Information

Postby John » Wed Apr 10, 2019 1:26 pm

I can't remember how deeply MP/GSA was integrated with KA multiplayer. I know it was a long time ago but if anyone can remember what the functionality was please let me know. For example, did the MP/GSA clients share KA multiplayer chat? Did KA report to MP/GSA clients any game information like the number of players currently still in the game or scores?

Are there any command line arguments relating to multiplayer aside from the ones below? KA can be launched straight into hosting a multiplayer game using this command line:
Code: Select all
ka.exe -se -name HostPlayerName
and a client can join a game with:
Code: Select all
ka.exe -c 192.168.0.1 -name ClientPlayerName

Thanks!

teeth_03
Order of Kahless
Order of Kahless

Re: MPlayer / GameSpy KA Multiplayer Information

Postby teeth_03 » Mon Apr 15, 2019 12:16 pm

I believe it was just to launch he game and get people into the same game. The chat wasn't shared, and it only kept track of the players who were in the same KA room in GSA.

My concern with trying to build something for this is I think for people to host games they need to forward ports in their router. We can at least have the list of ports available for if they want to do that.

John
Chancellor
Chancellor

Postby John » Mon Apr 15, 2019 5:52 pm

Thanks for the info, it's just something I'm thinking about at the moment but I've been wanting to do something with MP for a while.

el_flesh
Warrior
Warrior

Postby el_flesh » Wed Apr 17, 2019 1:54 am

I'll say it again; it isn't very fun just fragging each other.
It would be great to have a version of GWar translated to this game: each of 4 factions has 2 planets with teams on them.
Teams can be beamed to ship, then you get to beam them down to enemy planets and take them over.

Otherwise, design for KA could be destroy planetary targets of enemy while trying to protect yours. When they are all destroyed on several planets, your side wins. Your side runs out of ships, UH OH!

John
Chancellor
Chancellor

Postby John » Wed Apr 17, 2019 9:10 am

Maybe so, it is possible to write new MP scripts to add new objectives etc. My initial thought would just be a basic lobby for the launcher just to make things that little bit easier.

el_flesh
Warrior
Warrior

Postby el_flesh » Wed Apr 17, 2019 12:52 pm

You could bypass the need with a simple agreed upon 'location' for players to meet, like GameRanger or Hamachi, and a time. Won't be many players, but the alternative launcher probably wouldn't get players unless a date and time was set in here anyway!

We need an actual game with objectives for us to actually want to come back to!
Just fragging other players gets old fast.

teeth_03
Order of Kahless
Order of Kahless

Postby teeth_03 » Wed Apr 17, 2019 4:07 pm

Flesh, no one with the skills to make what you want are still around to make it. I think focusing on getting people together easier is still better than nothing.

John
Chancellor
Chancellor

Postby John » Wed Apr 17, 2019 9:54 pm

el_flesh wrote:You could bypass the need with a simple agreed upon 'location' for players to meet, like GameRanger or Hamachi, and a time. Won't be many players, but the alternative launcher probably wouldn't get players unless a date and time was set in here anyway!

I don't game much these days so I have never heard of those services but what you say is true.

Really nothing about the replacement launcher or even the combined patch it is included in is really needed. Patches/fixes can be applied separately, environmental variables can be set manually for Komat's wrapper, movies can be copied manually etc. My only thoughts when putting that package together was making things just that little bit more convenient.

Even if it's something I can do, I doubt having an MP lobby in the launcher would attract players but could it hurt to have an extra little bit of convenience?

el_flesh wrote:We need an actual game with objectives for us to actually want to come back to!
Just fragging other players gets old fast.

Again true but that could be fixed.

Return to General Discussion