Star Trek: Discovery - Better Main Title Sequence/Score

DBF68
Commander
Commander

Star Trek: Discovery - Better Main Title Sequence/Score

Postby DBF68 » Wed Oct 10, 2018 10:18 am

Here's something I did around this time last year. After I heard the Star Trek: Discovery - Original Main Title Sequence/Score, I was vastly underwhelmed and didn't like it. As someone else said, it felt like watching a Honda car commercial. So, as I detailed in the Show More section of this video's YT page, I decided to take some music I randomly heard that worked rather well after a bit of re-vamping. For comparison is the official STD score and the one I used that I think is a lot better.

Star Trek: Discovery - Original MTS

From my YT video Show More section: All I have seen is the show intro aka the main title sequence. I thought it was interesting, but I was also underwhelmed. I didn't mind a different intro style being used, but I didn't entirely like all the elements. I don't care for the beige parchment design board background. The initial music is rather bland and not terribly exciting. Although, along with the pics, it is conveying the humanity, technology, and exploration side of ST.

At 32 seconds into the intro, after the cymbal rise, the music becomes this generic "design process" walk through of familiar and new ST elements. The music at this point is rather dull and uninspiring. To be fair, early TNG and DS9 intro scores were a little cookie cutter bland before they got a revamp 2-3 years later. So, there's still hope. All I can say is thank goodness it's not Rod Stewart's "Faith of the Heart". :0\

Out of a 1 m 35 s MTS, the original Alexander Courage ST theme is tacked on at 1 m 17 s like a half-assed, hackneyed, hapless afterthought. It has corporate laziness and lameness written all over it. It feels like, "Oh right, this is Star Trek. Better put in that little jingle at the end. Almost forgot.".

Star Trek: Discovery - Better Main Title Sequence

From my YT video Show More section: This is usually how my spur of the moment creative process happens. I'm reading something boring, like my new Samsung smartphone manual. So at least one hemisphere of my brain is happy, I choose a movie trailer publishing website to play some music.

While reading, I hear a good piece of music after a slew of so-so or ok music. What grabbed my attention was a piece of music called "First Flight" from Position Music's MAGICAL FANTASY VOL. 2 release. I thought, "This is a little Star Treky, but I'm not entirely sure since it's a bit fast.". Fast forward to today's topic, and I got the creative bug itch.

So, I took "First Flight" and modified it in Adobe Audition. Then, I downloaded STD's MTS from YT. Later, after finally getting an edit of the music that worked relatively well with the video in NCH VideoPad, I saved the video and uploaded it to my YT account.

This is the kind of thing I think should have been done music wise for the STD MTS. Someone on the official STD MTS page said watching the original MTS was like watching a Honda car commercial more than something Star Trek related. I'd have to agree.

For the most part, the music for this Better MTS works well with the scene transitions while playing at about 95% normal speed. Some parts work really well. Other parts of the music had to be deleted, cut, and merged with cross fading to make the end of the video work properly.

0:48 It was cool that the cymbal clash and the communicator particle explosion worked.

0:50 Here I am, using a non-Star Trek piece of music that I've only heard this week. What are the odds that there's a tambourine playing during the Vulcan salute scene? Anyone for a little TOS "Amok Time"?

1:30 As much as CBS All Access might be controversial, you got to admit that the match up of the music ending with the little star flash on the CBS All Access logo page was pretty cool.

Anyway, enjoy.
Last edited by DBF68 on Wed Oct 10, 2018 9:54 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Warning, we have entered Neutral Zone, Warning.....

John
Chancellor
Chancellor

Re: Star Trek: Discovery - Better Main Title Sequence/Score

Postby John » Wed Oct 10, 2018 12:01 pm

It does fit better. I have not watched Discovery yet... its on my to-do list, I did watch Seth MacFarlane's new Star Trek show though.

teeth_03
Order of Kahless
Order of Kahless

Postby teeth_03 » Wed Oct 10, 2018 1:17 pm

The Orville is 100 times better than Discovery anyway

John
Chancellor
Chancellor

Postby John » Wed Oct 10, 2018 2:08 pm

I'm going to give it a shot, somehow managed to avoid spoilers etc. I've got the blu-ray on order, I can't stand all this multiple streaming service crap...

DBF68
Commander
Commander

Postby DBF68 » Wed Oct 10, 2018 9:46 pm

I haven't seen The Orville, but I've heard good things about it. As it stands, I rarely watch TV or movies. What bits and pieces I do see and programs and movies I know of I see on YT.

Yes, the multi everybody and their dog offering streaming service bit probably does get old. It might get expensive too when you're using several services. Unfortunately, it's the closest thing to a-la-carte entertainment since you can't build your own cable TV package without a lot of crap you don't want.

This next season of STD looks interesting, but I'm not interested in paying for it any more than I am watching generic TV. My ethusiasim for a lot of things is quite muted. I just wish they'd get rid of the the ocean sun fish Klingons.

I think I've seen The Orville score over the STD intro too. It's better, but for me, not quite right. At least it's better than a lot of other re-doos I've seen on YT.

Warning, we have entered Neutral Zone, Warning.....

el_flesh
Warrior
Warrior

Postby el_flesh » Fri Oct 19, 2018 3:34 am

I wouldn't bother with trying to improve Discrapery. JJDrek wannabe is a lost cause already.

John
Chancellor
Chancellor

Postby John » Fri Oct 19, 2018 3:51 pm

Well I can't speak for Discovery (not seen yet) but the first season of a lot of shows can be bad, I will probably watch season one in time to start season two.

I'm always behind with what little TV I watch.... just getting towards the end of Warehouse 13 and have not seen the last two seasons of X-Files yet.

el_flesh
Warrior
Warrior

Postby el_flesh » Sun Oct 21, 2018 3:58 am

This isn't one of those "first season needs to hit its stride" times.
They LIED that this was prime timeline; they're pulling JJDrek lenseflare and temper tantrum bullshit once again - not even Trek; they changed the Klingons YET AGAIN from JJDrek movies; they're basically shitting all over Trek just as JJJerkoff did.

Return to General Discussion